The Good, the Bad, The Ugly...22-250 8 twist?

Yeah id say...

At this point I am trying to decide what the pro's and cons are of everything. It seems that the x47 is the leading consensus...but which one and why. I heard someone mention earlier that the 6mm bullet selections are slightly better

I wouldn't let Greg at SPR build me one rifle............................That's why I let him build me two
lol.gif
lol.gif

Greg is an outstanding smith and an even greater guy to deal with

243AI

223 AI

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Yeah id say...

At this point I am trying to decide what the pro's and cons are of everything. It seems that the x47 is the leading consensus...but which one and why. I heard someone mention earlier that the 6mm bullet selections are slightly better

I don't know if I would say 'better' for the 6 vs 6.5...but more. It seems the 6 mm has more typical hunting types, wile 6.5 has more match type stuff. I may be a bit off, but that's my observation.

I am building a 6.5x47L. Going to run 130 VLDs up to and including Elk. I may work some little pills for deer. (123 AMax?)

But, I want a quick 6mm, next...

I don't have any real intentions for hunting with this gun, other then possibly coyotes...no real plans with it other then that for hunting. Who knows though.

The 6x47 should have a longer barrel life, it has less capacity in a much more efficient case design. The sharper shoulder angle and longer neck is supposed to help keep the throat from getting torched as badly.

I have to shoot lead free bullets so I had a 1-8" twist 22-250 made up so I could shoot the Barnes 55 gr MPG bullets.

I will only use this rifle on coyotes so this barrel will live longer than I will.

It also shoots the Barnes 62 gr TTSX bullets very good.

Sounds like in just need to give SPR a call...

Im still curious what the major benefit is for a 6x47 over a .243 other then brass life

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin250Sounds like in just need to give SPR a call...

Im still curious what the major benefit is for a 6x47 over a .243 other then brass life

Better brass life, more efficient case, the Lapua, if set up correctly, can safely hold more pressure.

If you were going to do a 243 Win, I'd be AI-ing it. Just that much more capacity, and the better shoulder angle.

Ill give credit to both I love a 243 and there is good brass to be had for it at the 6x47L is a efficient amazing round there for I think a guy needs both
Atleast that's my plan....

Last edited:
Thanks Winny...So it seems that if I were to be going with the 6mm it would be a better bet to just go with a .243AI. However it seems the 6.5x47 still reigns superior. Which is what im leaning towards.

I called greg yesterday and left him a message. Ill will see what he has to add to it.

Someone should change the title of this thread to..."I have no idea what I want....***x47?"

Back