The Best Taxidermy?

Kelly,

I forgot all about it. Glad you remembered! I finally got around to gather some of the skulls up and gave them to Chad for the display.

Speaking of taxidermy, I should have my elk and mule deer back soon. I'm anxious to get them hung on the wall!

Mike Dillon

I didn't think this cat turned out too bad...
001.jpg

Love the shoulder mounts. A lot of people think they are just for big game and u don't see very many. What did u do with that red fox though. Did u turn that into a bottle opener

Tony, that taxidermist you posted the link too is my favorite for fox and bobcats. Not that crazy about his coyotes but everything else he does is exceptional. However there is one BIG problem. He does not accept outside work. He basically just mounts prime animals that he purchases then sell them on ebay. Kind'a sucks as his small mammal work is without equal.

Mad, for cat work like bobcats, lynx, and especially mountain lion Phil Soucy in Libby Montana is considered by most professional taxidermist as one of the best if not the best. He has the awards and clientele to prove it. He isn't cheap but you definitely get your money's worth.
http://www.philipsoucy.com/

As for coyotes and wolf. I'm still looking for the best taxidermist. There is definitely a need for an exceptional coyote taxidermist.

That poor ole fox got turned inside out by a muzzleloader. Thinking about putting a door bell in his "sweet spot". lol

Most shoulder yote mounts don't have the eyes or ears right. The guy who does these is pretty darn good. The yote on the left took first place in the state taxidermy show that year. The one on the right took 3rd the year before.

Yoteguts, did the same taxidermist do all three shoulder mounts? The top two look great, but the lone bottom one has its ears way off.

Yep he did. The bottom picture is a poor one. Bad angle. He is pretty good, just a bad pic. That yote had an ear problem we didn't notice until he was skinned. He had damage to the ear butt. Bigger male probably a bite.

Originally Posted By: yoteguts
DSC01345.jpg

0115121008.jpg

Those two shoulder mount coyotes look great. I really like them, probably the only shoulder mounts I've seen on a coyote that I like. Very good fluffy fur on them.

Last edited:
I guess you don't think about it, or at least I really didn't but taxidermist are good at capturing the realism in some animals and not other. I guess there are a few out there who can probably do it all, but not many.
I have a guy who has mounted 3 deer for me, pheasant, and a bob cat. They are all, IMO great. He does a lot of work for some big name whitetail guys as well.
So I shot a really nice coyote about two years ago and took it to him, not even questioning whether it would come back looking good or not.
Well when I went to pick it up I was disappointed. It's not terrible, but he just didn't capture the realism in the facial expression or eyes. I still have it and from a distance it looks pretty good, but up close to makes me cringe.

I've also had a black bear done by another guy in Idaho, it was so bad when I moved from my last house I left it outside with the trash. And it was expensive. Overpriced in my opinion, but he was a buddy's family friend so I went ahead and let him do the work.
Live & learn I guess.

I'm with orrbull48 on Campbells Taxidermy. His work is outstanding. Have a couple of bird mounts done by him and both are exceptional in my book. As was stated, he has done work for the Smithsonian and the Rolling Hills Wildlife Refuge and Museum here locally. Again top of the line work on all mammals.

Back