The best progressive reloader for 223

How can vote against a lifetime no BS warrenty? I bought a well used...check that....very well used, estimated 800k rounds were loaded on it. It was a proffesional reloaders machine. I sent it back broken worn out and well used, i got a BRAND NEW machine, the only question was....."you better send us you dillon dies so we can replace them too. So I did and again more new stuff!

When Dillon says "no bs warrantee" they mean it! I've had some stuff break due to my own stupidity, and I made one phone call and was back in business in time to load for the match on the next weekend. That's "no bs"!

I'm a Dillon progressive fan, but all the rest of my reloading is done on Hornady (precision rifle) or Ponsness Warren (shotgun) equipment.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI know alot of people like the Dillon. And it is a very good press. But the Hornady Press is also a very good press with more features for less money. So I am not sure how anyone could say the Dillon is superior "hands down" the best press??

Plese present some facts to prove that.

Dillon has spectacular customer service, but so does Hornady and RCBS.

The Dillon does a great job, but so does the Hornady.

The Hornady has more features than the Dillon, and for a better price. So please present some facts as to why the Dillon is superior to the Hornady??

I spent alot of time researching both the Dillon and the Hornady. I could not see spending extra money for the Dillon in order to receive less options.

My Hornady has performed flawlessly. I really like it. But I would not say it is hands down" better than Dillon. At least not until I loaded a god bit with the Dillon.

I doubt if most supporters of one, have much experience with the other. So "hands doen" does not apply as a description of the differences. Unless you consider price and features as the purchasing decision. That category goes to Hornady as "hands down" the best deal. So lets compare the press?? Tom.

I have zero experience with the Hornady but have owned all the Dillons except for the SDB. They are my first choice in a progressive as I've never had a problem.

When I looked at progressives 10 years ago I looked at the Hornady. It is a good press. The reason I chose Dillon over it was 10 years ago the Hornady belled the cases and dropped the powder in 2 stages, the Dillon did this using one stage. Hornady wisely changed this on later models. Of course there was some expense in changing over.

Back when I was looking at progressives I asked a few Hornady owners how many rounds their press could do in an hour. None gave me a solid answer. I heard "I don't rush" or "I don't count output". This suggested to me that the owners were spending more time tinkering with the press then loading. Ask a Dillon owner how many rounds an hour he gets and he'll tell you.

I've heard complaints from Hornady owners about the cartridges not ejecting at the last stage or problems with the spring that retains the cases. Since then Hornady came out with a new shell plate to cure the problem. More expense for the press owner.

The Hornady press keeps evolving, not so with Dillon. Never had to change anything or upgrade anything on a Dillon, they're rock solid. Even Dillon's 450 can be upgraded to a 550 although I don't consider it a cheap conversion.

Hornady's original progressive was quietly dropped with no further support when the LnL was introduced. Do you think that may happen with the present model?

Still, I'd own a Hornady and may some day if I come across a deal. But the bottom line is I prefer Dillon.

I have loaded an awful lot of .223 on a Dillon 550 with no complaints. To be successful you have to make the right powder choice. Pick the wrong powder and you'll have problems with the powder measure, this applies to any progressive.

I used H335 and it flowed though the measure like water. So I can't say which powder will give trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punxsutawn On the 1050, it is hands down super fast and smooth! The down side is that everything is pretty expensive. If I had to do it over, I would probably have gone with the XL650 as it is pretty fast and easy to use for my high volume stuff like .223. It all depends on how much time you have to do the loading.

I presently have 2 Dillon presses, a 650 and 1050. I bought the 1050 used for $900 and the 650 new. The unseen is that the 650 cost was in the $460 range but by the time I added options like a case feeder, strong mount and bullet trays the price was around $700. For $200 more I'd much rather have the 1050 where all the options come standard.

The 1050 removes the primer crimp and is so smooth in operation that I find I enjoy using it every chance I get. The 1050 will also run circles around the 650 for output of completed rounds.

One of the dumbest things I've done is when I bought the 1050. It was purchased from a gun shop going out of business. They had 2 for sale and I stupidly only bought 1. Wish I could turn that clock back, I'd have bought both and probably made a deal for $800 each.

I've looked all over since trying to find another used 1050 but you don't see them. My guess is they get snatched up pretty quickly or no one is selling them.

Back