the best all around varmint round

Boy thats a tuff one... With out any parameters How can we pick one. If I had only one gun to shoot ALL thing I think it would have to be My Marlin 45/70 cowboy or My CZ 375. It should cover the gamut, You never want to be under gunned you know ,just in case!!!

22-250 for speed and distance. Good from Deer to varmint. Accuracy and shock. Good trigger job find your load and it IMO is the best. There is a 65 grain partition bullet available. Great caliber. Can get ammo just about anyplace if needed.

22 Magnum all the way! Got some of the new Winchester 30gr. V-Max says 2,250fps. on the box can't wait to try them in my VMBZ!

Thats too broad of a question. Lets go out to moderate distances....300yds. Def the 223 for economics and versatility. Under 100yds, +1 on the 22 mag. You need to break the question down a little further.

Since you asked only about varmints and not deer or elk or anything else I am going to have to say the .223 Remington. I have taken prairie dogs with it out to 500 yards (700 yards with the AI version), a few badgers and thousands and thousands of ground squirrels.

Lot of cheap brass and surplus ammo, accurate, a whole bunch of bullets and load information and being a NATO round for the last 50 years means that brass will around forever.

Might not be the best choice for everyone, but if the only varmint caliber made was the .223 Remington I would be OK with that.

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned, my intention was to try them all and make a decision. I don't think I will live long enough to complete the evaluation. So far it looks like any of them will work.

I understand this is a very broud qeustion i was wanting to see other thoughts on it an for rimfires guy 17HMR is good to 175 yds on pdogs an 125 yds on yotes the 22 mag is not accuracy pasted 100 yds i get alot more out of my 17 hmr

Just because I love this cartridge so much, the 222 Remington gets my vote.
wub.gif

Back