The .25 DTI is up and running!

Mike, I was talking to a satified owner of one of your 25wsm builds yesterday, and he said he is going to have you build a 30 wsm next.

I wasn't familiar with it, but it sounded like a thumper.

I have always wanted the 6.5mm, but money only allowed the 6.8mm SPC. Mike, what would you think of using the DTI theory, with the 6.8mm as an improved chamber? Offering the chamber upgrades on existing uppers?

It could certainly be done, but I don't know that it would be worth the expense of the chamber-reamer as well as custom dies.

Where it's certainly possible to do, any you would probably gain a little, but I think it would be a case of diminished return. Probably just not enough improvement for the expense.

Originally Posted By: erslllDoes that mean you didn't build a 6.5 DTI for TnTnTn?

One of us probably read that last question incorrectly, and it was probably me.

The way I took the question was: "Could I make a DTI version of the 6.8 and produce a round that had a sharper shoulder and a little more case capacity."

My answer to that was that I didn't think that it would be cost effective. In other words, if there were a version of the 6.8 SPC that was necked down to 6mm with no other alterations, AND it was a commercialized round, then I probably would never have pursued the 6 mm DTI. If you could pick up dies for $30.00 and buy ammo at Wal-Mart, I can't sell wildcat uppers that require more expensive dies, and would require you to load your own ammo.

As long as I am making wildcats, I'm going to make some improvements to them while I'm at it, hence the new shoulder angle.

If that is not what he was asking, I am still building the 6.5 DTI for TnTnTn. In fact, the chamber reamer showed up for it Friday! No dies yet, but I will be able to cut the chambers.

Well, now that I go back and read it again, I think I might be the one that misunderstood. Sorry about that. I wasn't trying to call anyone out, just thought there was some conflicting info.

Well I just talked to Mike today and ordered me a 25DTI to go with my 25 Wizzer SO everyone PLEEEEEASE keep the phone calls to Mike at a minimum so he can work in a hurry HAHAHA.

Originally Posted By: ScratWell I just talked to Mike today and ordered me a 25DTI to go with my 25 Wizzer SO everyone PLEEEEEASE keep the phone calls to Mike at a minimum so he can work in a hurry HAHAHA.

Haven't heard lately and don't want to bother Mike......What kind of wait time are you looking at for an upper from D-tech?

Originally Posted By: erslllOriginally Posted By: ScratWell I just talked to Mike today and ordered me a 25DTI to go with my 25 Wizzer SO everyone PLEEEEEASE keep the phone calls to Mike at a minimum so he can work in a hurry HAHAHA.

Haven't heard lately and don't want to bother Mike......What kind of wait time are you looking at for an upper from D-tech?

I would like to know this also as well as what kind of coin we are looking at

Mike told me the wait would be about 3 or 4 months I had to wait about 8 months when I got my 25 Wizzer. If you go to mike's web site he has all the pricing there it varies depending what extras you want he is a sponsor on this site Dedicated Technology you can get to his site from his sponsor link

Dare I say, this is the 1st coyote killed with the .25DTI?
OPHA2011034.jpg

I bet that coyote really feels lucky! Congrats!
These DTI cartridges sound like the way to go with larger bullets in a 6.8 based case. The whole deal is very impressive.

Where can I find reloading data for that 25 DTI? I gotta feeling when uncle Sam sends me my money he borrowed from me (interest free by the way), I'm gonna give Mike a call to place my order. What powder/bullet combinations are you guys using?

I've got load data. So-far, it only covers about 4 different bullets, but I'm getting more data all the time.

Fred, that is the first coyote taken with the .25 DTI. My buck, just a few short months ago, was the very first white-tail taken with the .25 DTI!

Can't wait for some more info on this round. Bullet type, brass type, speed, etc.... How it compares to a .25 wssm would be nice as well.

Maybe more time is needed?

I can speculate some as to comparing the 25DTI to the 25Wizzer...

My 22" barreled 25Wizzer pushed a 75gr Vmax at just over 3500fps with a hot load.

I worked a load up quickly for this trip and found one pushing a 75gr Vmax at 3140fps. Preliminary accuracy was quite promising.
Brass is SSA 6.8SPC.
Simple run through the 25DTI sizer die and you're ready to load.
The shoulder blows forward to 30 degrees after one firing.
P.O.I. is same, same with either brass.
Prolly could dump some more powder in, but I didn't get that far into load development, yet.

The beauty of that 75gr Vmax load from the 25DTI is that runs within 10% of the velocity of the 25Wizzer, while burning about 30% LESS powder. (46 vs 31 grains, give or take)

And it's doing that from a 4" SHORTER barrel!
That's pretty impressive!!!

Hunting with the 18" mid length upper is far & away nicer to carry shoot & handle than is my 22" ARs. And the recoil pulse was light enough for me to have watched those couple coyotes tip over in the NXS...
smile.gif

I'll report more on the cartridge after I've shot it more thoroughly & tested some other powders. And maybe spank another coyote or two with it here in NY...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Fred, that's just what I was looking for. Can't wait to read more in the future. I love the 18" barrel length for hunting.

Back