The .220 Swift

PETE IN IDAHO !

About time you checked in here. Welcome to Predator Masters.

Pete is a very accomplished predator hunter, started out in the CSVCA way back in the 60's, once lived in perhaps the finest coyote area of Arizona, (but I can't tell you where, or I'd havta kill ya) and currently lives in Lewiston, Idaho. He is so cool, (and knowledgeable) that he's permanently on the $h*t list of a couple of well known keyboard pundits.
smile.gif

Good to hear from you, Pete.

Good hunting. LB

Pete, You are right about the 700 action the short is to short and the long is to long. The swift and the 6mm need a medium action. On my 700 where the lugs slide on the bottom or the strip of metal that stops the fowler is where I had problems. At the rear of the magazine the rail is milled out just a little deeper on the back of the mag just in front of the bolt face. That little edge sometimes caught on the rims so I just filed it smooth.

I too only put three rounds in my 700 rem. My problem is I didn't put a short lead in my new barrel and need to set the bullets out to the lands to get my best accuracy so two is all I can fit in the magazine.

My newest swift is a custom one built on a post 94 (pre 64 style) Win. M70 action. That action is roomier than the 700 and with the cone breach it feeds flawlessly and extracts and ejects with authority as well.

Good luck with your re-chambering job. Usually they need to set them back a full inch so if you have and older .220 rem the barrel could only be 24in. so that would put you at a 23in finished length. With that length of barrel I don't think 22-250 AI could really stretch its legs, a 26 set back to a 25 wouldn't,t be bad but I would save my pesos and just have it re-barreled with a good match grade stainless. If you do decide to go with a new barrel I would suggest that you try a 3 groove rather than a 4 or six. From what I understand your throat will last 10 to 15% longer with that style. My next barrel will be a 3 groove for sure. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Good hunting

Q-Wagoner

Leonard,
I have hit on hard times lately.
Five weeks ago I found out I had colon cancer,five days later the doctor cut out 12ins. of my colon. I have an 11inch slit starting from my groin and up. Exactly four weeks to the day of surgery I went calling. I have been working hard to get me strenght back, last Tue. I walked a four mile loop hunting some rough country. Howled up a grizzled old dog and put him down. I really am recovering quite nicely, thank you. I start chemo just after the new year, and I plan to take it one day at a time. The doctor says my cancer is(was) very slow growing and low grade. He puts my recoverey at 90%. In the meantime no work for atleast a month so I'll be whacking some dogs.

Q. Wagner, my switf is a 26inch ss and a good shooter. I hate to mess a good thing.

Pete

Pete I don't know ya, but wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Shoot me a couple of dogs while your off.

If Leonard says your the man in calling you must be. Thanks for jumpin on board with this site. We'll pick your brain when you feel better. Take care.

Pete; I'm very sorry to hear of your problem, I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

About 220 Swift and 6MM Remington feeding problems in a bolt gun in general. Not short cartridges, and not really long ones, either? Some bonehead engineer measured them, and decided they would fit (barely) in a short action.

Most Rugers also have that problem, at least from the right side of the magazine. I owned my first one for quite a while before I figured it out. I know several guys that load only two rounds, the third will jam. This can be fixed by working on the feed rails, I have done it on a few that I own, but once you state the problem, any competent gunsmith should be able to cure it.

The 700 short action has a different problem. Maybe the best solution is to use light bullets and seat them rather deep? Load the magazine carefully, always pushing the lower cartridge to the rear. This is one instance where the 243 has an advantage over the 6MM; about the only one that I know of?
smile.gif

Goodhunting. LB

Hi Pete!

Now that has to be the most drastic case of "barrel set-back" I've ever heard of!
smile.gif
Seriously, I am greatful for the doctor's good prognosis and your return to health. Keep taking it one day at a time, it appears to be working. I will keep you in prayers as well.

I have one of Kimber's reworked Mauser 98's and love it. No feed problems on the nose end, but I do have to set the lowest round in the mag against the rear wall and each higher round slightly forward in stack to avoid the problem with the rim. It will handle 5 plus one in the chamber. If I build another swift, ( and I will) it will be on another 98. I shucked all 6 rounds at a coyote moving at high mach once and it feed all of them nicely. So much for marksmanship. The rifle is otherwise a half moa piece.

Rick

Back