Tested: CZ 527 .17 Remington....

Yep. That’s what I bought and, frankly, what I wanted to hear.

I’ll be using 25 HPs until I can see how the 32gr Reeds work.

Thanks for the information.

I haven't shot a bobcat, but have shot hundreds of Red Fox,raccoon and tested loads on quite a few feral cats. No question for me the best bullet for the above is the Berger 25 gr varmint or mef. Start them around up at 3900 if you can. Not a good coyote bullet.

Hi, I am considering shifting from the .17 Fireball to a .204 and am wondering why you have forsaken the .204? Also, have you had much of a fouling problem with the .17 Rem?

Originally Posted By: Ceelatrans Also, have you had much of a fouling problem with the .17 Rem?

All three of my .17 Remington factory barrels fouled fairly quickly if you pushed the bullet speeds much over 4000 fps. I usually kept my handloads right at 4000 or a bit less. Fouling was not as bad and brass lasted longer too.

My M700 .17 Rem has a Shilen barrel on it now and it takes much more shooting to foul it than it did the factory barrel. And it comes clean much quicker as well. I still keep my speeds sub 4000 fps but really, I just dont need more than that. Not for the critters I shoot anyway.

I love the .204! But I don’t like hauling around a 26” bull barrel Savage 12fv that weighs 12 lbs after scope bipod sling and a full mag and that’s being generous. I have used the .204 and it’s awesome on coyotes.

I just have an affinity for the .17 Remington. Especially now that I’ve seen what it can do to coyotes!

Fouling happens for me at about 75 rounds. The good thing is that you can tell it needs cleaned immediately! Groupsnopen up from sub MOA to 1.5-2.0 MOA in 10 shots. But a quick clean and it’s back to one hole groups. During hunting season it’s not an issue. During prairie dog season, it gets cleaned a lot.

My mid 80's Rem 700 17 would have very noticeable accuracy problems at 12-15 shots using w760. Was factory recalled and barrel was replaced, it was 40-50 shots with the factory replacement. My Lilja barrel and Shilen, I have to remember to clean, have not seen accuracy issues.

My 17-204 that is a rechambered .17 rem LVSF needs cleaning at 40 shots. It is 1/2 moa and under clean and extremely frustrating when fouled. I’ve been putting off ordering a barrel because it shoots so well when clean and no measured throat erosion after 200 shots. Unknown shots fired from two owners before I got it.

Tip I got on here somewhere is to cut Q-tips in half for cheap effective bore swabs. They work really well. I have wipe out but I find barrels really do need that abrasive brush work to get them really clean. The Q-tips are as effective and easier than patches.

Last edited:
Displayed before you get too frustrated try fire lapping the throat with Final Finish. This will help the fouling issue. The product is available from David Tubb's business.

Back