Tent recomendations...........................................

bigsky_songdogs

Hey Gang,

I was wanting some recomendations on tents. I am looking for a multi season tent that that my family and i can use up here in AK and everywhere we travel in the spring and summer camping and then into hunting season. I want something that is water-proof and can stand up to the nasty weather that AK has to offer and that I can stand up in (im 6'1") of at least almost stand up in. I know there are some super expensive tents out their and I dont want to spend a fortune, but i do want a quality tent that can be used a lot and last.

We have had only cheap tents and keep getting wet while camping. Ease of setup is a factor as well because it seems that we set up in the dark a lot. weight isnt a huge factor but if its lighter and more compact it would fit in the boat better.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and any other advise on what to get would be great. If you have a tent you recommend id love to see a pic if you have one.

thanks
Fin

Check out the Kodiak series of tents, Sportmans carries them not sure if it's there brand. They are a good canvas tent with a bottom attached that one guy can set up. Not to badly priced either.

kirkam's springbar,easy to set up top quality great customer service,the floor is about bullet proof,they set fast,the wind don't bother them [tested at base camp for mount everest in 70mph winds they breath so i never have had any condensation in mine and the first time i used it it rained for three days.the only bad thing i guess is it weighs about 60lbs.the kodiak is several steps down in quality,i looked the boy scouts use tons of these because they last. oh my son's are 6ft.and they stand in this one

Last edited:
Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak. Stayed in my buddys 12x20 on Skilac Lake. Liked it so much I got one. Not cheap but you know how Alaska is on gear...

If a good tent is what you are after, and ease of setup is your goal, I would have to say go with a Kodiak tent. That and the springbar that lyotehunter is recommending are the same style of tents. Neither of them is really recommended for heavy snow though, as per roof design. I will have to disagree with lyotehunter though, I think Kodiak has better features/build for the money, especially the floor. With that being said, It is really easy to put up by yourself. If you want a fortress, get a Cabelas outfitter series XWT tent. It takes a little time to put up at first, but worth it if you want piece of mind while in the field. Putting it up gets easier/faster with a few uses. They also sell a fast pitch kit for bad weather setup, and a great interior floor liner for easy cleanup.

Another vote for the Ultimate Alaknak.
We have the 12x12 and, for the four of us (two little kids, me, and the wife), it works great. I'm 6'1" and can stand for the most part. It doesn't take a huge stove to warm it up and it's way stout.
Comes in a great big ole' bag and weighs in at about 70#, though.

After my cheapo tent turned into an indoor pond in a hailstorm, I went out and bought a Big Agnes tent. It's maiden voyage included 8 inches of snow in Montana without a drop of water on the inside. I've had it 4 years now and it has withstood some significant rain, hail, and winds. If you are looking for a good tent check out their website.

the guy that builds te kodiak worked for kirkams and the materials are not the same quality i checked both and the springbar is made in salt lake city utah the other is imported.so in my case i can drive about 25 miles and get anything i need fixed they have great customer service.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterthe guy that builds te kodiak worked for kirkams and the materials are not the same quality i checked both and the springbar is made in salt lake city utah the other is imported.so in my case i can drive about 25 miles and get anything i need fixed they have great customer service.

+1 on their customer service.

I have an alaknak tent from cabelas. I love the tent. I can set it up by myself in about 10 min. It is the smallets alaknak. My good friend has the mid size alaknak. It tooks 3 of us about 20 min. to set his up. +5 degrees with several inches of snow on the ground and tent 2 years ago on Montana elk hunt. Tent performed awesome. Both tents do have condensation problems that you would not have with a good canvaas tent.

I have a Cabelas ISQ tent. I haven't used it in the field yet but it has a ton of room and I like the pods you can add on for nothing else storage. It took me about 45 mins to set it up in the back yard reading the directions. I was going to get the alaknak, but caught a sale on the ISQ and couldn't pass it up. I am going to use it for hunting and some camping trips with the family this summer. I hope it will do everything it want it to do. Oh and i'm 6'2" and it has all kinds of room in it. I can stand up easy in it.

Just ordered a kodiak canvas model #6133 today. Ordered from competetive edge products along with a wall enclosure model #0650. Read all reviews I could find on these tents and they relly sound GREAT. Brother and I are gonna be living in it for a couple weeks in Colorado in September so I hope it is as good as all the reviews I read.

I have the Big Horn 3 from Cabelas. I did not like the pole in the middle of the Alaknaks. I set it up at night in about 20 min with the "help" of my wife. I have not had any condensation problems in the cold but I use the wood burning stove so my tent never gets very cold. It has stood up to monsoon rains,hail and winds over 50mph. It's never leaked or ripped in 3 years of all season use. I am 6'3" and have to look down to enter not crouch.

I dont know what you haul with but I love my Jumping Jack.
Does it all. The perfect tent and haul all for 3 season camping

Jumping Jack

Off the ground and never wet again. I've had mine at the beach, bowhunting, pheasant hunting in NB. Haul my UTV and all of my gear. I have not been disappointed yet.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterkirkam's springbar,easy to set up top quality great customer service,the floor is about bullet proof,they set fast,the wind don't bother them [tested at base camp for mount everest in 70mph winds they breath so i never have had any condensation in mine and the first time i used it it rained for three days.the only bad thing i guess is it weighs about 60lbs.the kodiak is several steps down in quality,i looked the boy scouts use tons of these because they last. oh my son's are 6ft.and they stand in this one

Springbar is the way to go. I had one and loved it. Upgraded to the trailer. Wife wont step foot in it so I sold it to a scout troop last summer.

I have had a Cabelas Bighorn II for about 10 years. It has probably been on 50 or so trips some with up to 2 feet of snow. Never leaked and with the wood stove it it it will stay toasty warm. Couple of November hunts had rain and freezing rain the whole hunt and never leaked.

drscott

REI's Base Camp 6 is a great family size tent. My wife, son and I have used it throughout the year through high winds, blowing rain and hale. It stood up great and has never leaked. The one thing I really like about the Base Camp 6 is the full coverage vestibule and the easy setup pole system. I recently purchased the newest model (gave the older tent to a family member). REI made some great changes to their latest model. The mesh netting was extended down to the lower section of the tent, which allow for use in warmer weather. They added more tie-out points to the vestibule. It has a better bathtub floor too. I am 6'-1" and there is plenty of head room. I originally had a REI Base Camp 4, it had plenty of room for 3 people to sleep but it had too low of a ceiling to allow me to standup straight. I did a lot of research on the larger tents and the REI Base Camp 6 is the only tent I found that had a full coverage vestibule and could with-stand blowing rain.

Back