Tell me about some wild cats

FairChase93

So I had surgery last Monday, which has left me laying in bed for a week with nothing better to do than mindlessly watch Netflix and search the internet. This has led me to research just about every wild cat cartridge that has ever been made, ok probably not but you get my drift.

All of this research has left me with 5 different chamberings that I keep coming back to over and over again.
They are the
17/204
20/250
22-250AI
6×47 Lapua
338-06

I know I'm throwing a lot out there with this post, I'm just looking for real world experiences with these wild cats. Tell me something about them that might not have been readily apparent in my research.

The 22-250AI is not really much different than the cartridge I am currently running as my main coyote rifle. In my 22 Creedmoor I have simply loaded Lapua 22-250 brass with 75gr Amax's and started shooting. 1/2 inch groups with speeds running just under 3400fps(normal load is 3440ish)
I think the 22 Creedmoor once fireformed may have 2-3% more powder capacity than the 22-250 AI but in reality very very close.
I still favor using 6mm Creedmoor brass sized down as the necks are about .030 longer than formed 22-250 brass.

Originally Posted By: venaticThe 22-250AI is not really much different than the cartridge I am currently running as my main coyote rifle. In my 22 Creedmoor I have simply loaded Lapua 22-250 brass with 75gr Amax's and started shooting. 1/2 inch groups with speeds running just under 3400fps(normal load is 3440ish)
I think the 22 Creedmoor once fireformed may have 2-3% more powder capacity than the 22-250 AI but in reality very very close.
I still favor using 6mm Creedmoor brass sized down as the necks are about .030 longer than formed 22-250 brass.

22 Creedmoor was on my original list, but after realizing that the 22-250 AI was VERY similar I figured I would rather buy Lapua brass and fire form. As opposed to buying 6 creed brass and necking down.

I should add that the 22-243 is/was on my watch list as well.

Last edited:
There sure area a lot of factory cartridges these days that stared off as wildcats. And once upon a time wildcats filled a void that did not exist with factory ammo. Not the case anymore. But sometimes if you want something that nobody (or hardly anybody anyway) else has and then you got a good enough reason to have a wildcat. And sometimes you can actually make a better cartridge than the factories put out but that is pretty hard to do too.

Some of the best factory ammo out there exist because of someone experimenting and trying to make something better. But truth is that nowadays there just aint that many holes to fill anymore.

I have the first three on your list, What are you looking to use them for coyotes, varmints ? the first three can be pretty tough on barrels, the 338-06 would be a excellent big game cartridge and is on my short list of rifles to build along with the 6x47 Lapua but right now im pretty heavy with 6mm's so that one may take awhile.

the 17/204 is pretty easy just neck down the 204 case, I can push 30gr bullets to 4100fps.

The 20/250 is also very easy to form brass, I just use 22-250 bushing dies and a 22-250 bullet seating die to seat bullets, I set mine up for the 55gr Bergers and it will move them at 3850fps but I back it down to 3750 its easier on the brass.
Every Coyote I've shot with it (which really isn't many) were drt with no exit hole, it also does a number on groundhogs I taken a few out to 500 yrds with it.

22/250AI is one of my favorites along with the standard 22-250 I had mine built with a fast twist for the 75gr Amax at 3450fps .very easy to form brass just load and shoot, I use my fire forming loads for hunting the groundhogs sure can't tell the difference

Originally Posted By: RustydustThere sure area a lot of factory cartridges these days that stared off as wildcats. And once upon a time wildcats filled a void that did not exist with factory ammo. Not the case anymore. But sometimes if you want something that nobody (or hardly anybody anyway) else has and then you got a good enough reason to have a wildcat. And sometimes you can actually make a better cartridge than the factories put out but that is pretty hard to do too.

Some of the best factory ammo out there exist because of someone experimenting and trying to make something better. But truth is that nowadays there just aint that many holes to fill anymore.

I would agree that standard factory offerings are more than enough than anybody ever really needs, but let's just say that I'm bored with those. I want something that is different than the norm.

Originally Posted By: Rich44I have the first three on your list, What are you looking to use them for coyotes, varmints ? the first three can be pretty tough on barrels, the 338-06 would be a excellent big game cartridge and is on my short list of rifles to build along with the 6x47 Lapua but right now im pretty heavy with 6mm's so that one may take awhile.

the 17/204 is pretty easy just neck down the 204 case, I can push 30gr bullets to 4100fps.

The 20/250 is also very easy to form brass, I just use 22-250 bushing dies and a 22-250 bullet seating die to seat bullets, I set mine up for the 55gr Bergers and it will move them at 3850fps but I back it down to 3750 its easier on the brass.
Every Coyote I've shot with it (which really isn't many) were drt with no exit hole, it also does a number on groundhogs I taken a few out to 500 yrds with it.

22/250AI is one of my favorites along with the standard 22-250 I had mine built with a fast twist for the 75gr Amax at 3450fps .very easy to form brass just load and shoot, I use my fire forming loads for hunting the groundhogs sure can't tell the difference

Coyotes, varmints, big game, whatever. Your calibers and bullet choices fall right in line with what I was thinking. The 6×47 Lapua would probably be my coyote contest rifle and may be first in line to actually get built.

There is definetly something intriguing about a 55 gr bullet with that high of BC traveling at 22-250 speeds. That is what really gets me going about the 20-250.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Rich 44 what is your overall length on the 17/204?

2.305 with a 30gr Kindler Gold, 2.229 with a 30gr Berger both are seated .015 off I think the chamber was cut with 0 freebore but I'm not positive, there are a couple of other guys that used the same reamer they may have a better memory than me since there much younger
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: barkI was curious what the C.O.A.L. was on the 20-250 with a 55 grain bullet and then with a 40 grain bullet as well.

The C.O.L for the 55gr Bergers is 2.579 I have not tried any 40's but the 45gr Blackhole with the Lexan tip is 2.502 both seated .015 off I'm pretty sure this chamber was cut with .050 freebore

Two of them have 24" barrels and the 105s are 310
Actually one of them has been sent back to Beanland to have barrel chopped to 20" and threaded for a can. I haven't received it back

The new one I got this week is 26" and due to some personal issues I haven't shot it yet

So your getting 3100 fps with 105s out of a 24 inch barrel? That's exactly why I'm enamored with this caliber at the moment. A lot of guys can't do that with custom 243wins with more powder!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willy1947

17/204-20/250-22-250AI = 220swift

6×47 Lapua = OK

338-06 = 338win

I see what your getting at but that's taking all the fun out of it.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

17/204-20/250-22-250AI = 220swift

6×47 Lapua = OK

338-06 = 338win

Completely narrow minded outlook. These 'cats are implemented for certain applications. Plus, wildcatting is a ton of fun.

I simply do not understand how one can compare a 17 cal anything to a 220 swift. Certainly nothing in comparison of fur friendliness. The 6x47 Lapua is what the 243 win should have been. I just does it better and easier. I mean, I understand personal preference and everything, but dang! Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks solids are sutible for hunting.

20-250 and 220 Swift really aren't comparable either when you consider that a 55gr 20 Cal bullet has a BC of .381 and it takes a 75 gr bullet to get into that ball park with the 220 swift. I'm not discrediting the swift but the 20-250 and 17/204 both do things that the swift does not.

Originally Posted By: FairChase9320-250 and 220 Swift really aren't comparable either when you consider that a 55gr 20 Cal bullet has a BC of .381 and it takes a 75 gr bullet to get into that ball park with the 220 swift. I'm not discrediting the swift but the 20-250 and 17/204 both do things that the swift does not.

Some folks don't like to look at things like that. They only know what they know and that's where the buck stops.

Another cool 20 Cal I've been looking at is a 20 PPC. There are 2 Hammonds built rifles at the Rapid City Cabela's for an amazing price.

Back