Tasco = Trashco

savageone

Make no mistake, the rumors are true. I was shooting a 10/22 that i recently was given and had quite the bad experience with a trashco. After seeing that it was shooting right about 2 inches at 50 yards consistently i tried to adjust it. However, after far too many clicks it never changed the POI, pretty nasty, so i reckon i will have to find it a new scope now. So save your money, and buy a real scope...

I guess it just depends. I bought a Tasco World Series 3-9x40 back in 1992 (It was a little over a $100 then) and put in on my Ruger .270.

It has been on there every since, and I can't tell you how many deer and hogs I have killed with it.

Is it a high end scope? No, but it has gotten the job done. It may crater tomorrow, but so far, it has been a good one.

You can get a World Series scope in the same power now for about $50 so what does that tell you? They probably made them better back then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have one on my AR and its the second one the first one broke within three weeks. This time I have had the same model on it for over two months and its holding up just fine. I think its like most cheap scopes some are great and hold up just fine while others are broke before they leave the factory.

Not sure what one might expect for the money. Let's face it- there IS a reason low-end scopes don't cost much.

Used to be the Bushnell's were the ones I wouldn't recommend, but today I don't know. I've got one of the old Tasco 8 by 32's that's been used for accuracy testing for several years now on any new guns I get and has held up to everything from an 8mm Remington mag to my 204 ruger with nary a whimper. Just the luck of the draw on lower priced scopes I guess.

i put the tasco pronghorn on my .50cal muzzle loader and it shoots great. i also put it on a .270 that i gave my father-in-law with no problems. i think that i have just been lucky. i do think that you get what you pay for.

I have Tasco's on two different New England Firearms in 223. They work great. I'm very pleaed with them. Cheap gun = cheap scope = lots of fun shooting!!!
Perhaps there was a reason that scope was given to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
M

Wal-mart of all places at home keeps the Simmons 3-9x50 on the shelf for 45 bucks.I got 3 of them.One on a .45cal ML,.50cal ML,an a 45/70gov't.They are great for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have a Tasco 4X, which came with a Remington 788 as a factory package deal. I bought it brand new in 1982. I sold the rifle later but kept the scope, which is now residing on a sporterized Mauser 8mm. I have had hundred of rounds with it over the past 26 years and thus far it has hold zero really well. Optics is still bright like my Vari XII, no fogging. This scope was made in Japan. Today Tasco is made in China and they are no where near those older ones in quality.

I still look for old Made in Japan Tasco scopes at gun shows. They are usually good buys.

Not sure on the adjustment problem, but 10/22's are tough on scopes. Something about low recoil and forward action of the semi automatic, (so I've been told) anyway, my 10/22 broke crosshairs on a couple tasco world series', and a simmons 44 mag. I have since put a leupold on it and problem solved.

Quote:
I guess it just depends. I bought a Tasco World Series 3-9x40 back in 1992 (It was a little over a $100 then) and put in on my Ruger .270.

I bought the same scope in 1996 and put it on my .243 7400 and never had a single problem with it yet, sighted it when I bought the gun and just shot it every since. Back in the day the Tasco World Class scopes were an incredible value, the were fairly bright and held up excellent.

Also as stated above 10/22 rifles are hard on scopes, you may consider trying a rimfire scope which is specifically designed for a rimfire and see if it holds up better.

Quote:
but 10/22's are tough on scopes.

Take out the steel bolt buffer pin and replace it with a plastic one (or a piece of Delrin rod). Factory stock, the steel bolt flys back and impacts a steel cross-pin, and that's a pretty sharp, violent jolt to the scope.

But on the subject of Tasco's, the last cheap Tasco I used, I spent more ammo chasing the POI around the target then the scope was worth. If you buy one, stay away from their lower tier stuff.

There was clearly a quality change around 1998 in their world class line, I bought one for around $100 in 1996 and it still is a good scope. I bought another on clearance (discontinued model change) in 1998 for $50 and it still is a good scope, admittedly though it has been bumped down to a .22mag lately. A friend of mine liked them so he bought one in 1999 or 2000 and he went through three of them. One, the glass broke out of the eye piece, next one the power adjustment ring quit working, and now he has one that has lasted the rest of the time and maintained being a good scope. It was a good thing that Cabelas has (or had) great customer service and was willing to exchange them.

BTW, His was not on a huge recoiling rifle, it was on a .270win, remington 7400. These were all 3-9 x 40

IMO I think the best budget scopes are:

1. Nikon Pro-staff $150

2. Bushnell Banner: $90-98

3. Pentax Gameseeker: $99

4. Bushnell Trophy: $120-150

5. Mueller APV or Extreme: $150-ish

As stated above, comparing the old Tasco scopes to those you buy new today is apples and oranges. I have one of the old Tasco World Class 10-40 variable power scopes and it is outstanding. Like Idbob said, I use it for load development and accuracy testing due to the extreme magnification. I have shot it on everything from .338 mag down and it is like clockwork. However, buy a new cheap Tasco and you are getting just that, a cheap scope. If you watch you can pick up the old tasco's for a little of nothing from time to time. If you must get one of the new ones, well, I'd just rather shoot open sights.

Back