Surprise, it wasn't a coyote.

I hate badgers, mean as [beeep] and they sure tear up your set when you catch em in a trap. Not to mention they aint worth nothin. My cousin decided to skin one one time. The greasiest suckers i have ever seen in my life...and he only got $5 for it.

Badgers sure can take a load. I've seen them shot in Idaho with a .243 to the shoulder with no exit wound. Same round on coyotes was blowing a Pepsi can size hole. Tough suckers!

Tony

I've had too many "intimate" encounters with badgers! Had to lecture "the Warden" many years ago - she chased one down with the pickup, ran over it, checked it out, and it was still moving. She had emptied my 357, so she got the framing hammer out of my tool pouch, and dinged it between the eyes!!
I informed her to NEVER get that close to a badger again! People can lose parts quickly!
Mark

Originally Posted By: mark shubert- she chased one down with the pickup, ran over it, checked it out, and it was still moving. She had emptied my 357, so she got the framing hammer out of my tool pouch, and dinged it between the eyes!!

you better hang on to her.

that is something i dont have here in ky. sounds like i should be glad. being greasy when u skin them sounds like a ground hog. do people eat them there like they do ground hogs here.

I am a engineer with BNSF railroad. I ran over a large male with the train last feb. I stopped and got him a trip later and had the hide tanned. 32 inches long from nose to tale. He was a brute.

Quote:I am a engineer with BNSF railroad. I ran over a large male with the train last feb.

Rail roadkill.
grin.gif

A 32 inch badger probably figured he could whip a train.

badgers smell as bad as skunks when skinning
shot lots of them when i was a kid but haven't in many years. i
i have seen them just haven't shot them they are a fur bearer here.

I've only seen 2 badgers in all my years of hunting. First was while rabbit hunting when I was 14 or 15, took a shot at him but missed. Then I saw one in Wyo. a few years back while shooting prairie dogs. Seems like my dad put some lead in his butt, but I can't remember for certain.
Sure would like to hang one of them pelts on the wall though!!

Just to show how tough these lil buggers are: I caught this guy in my live trap after he tore a huge hole up in front of one of my trail cameras.

Badger Vid

Sorry for the lil delay in the vid, I didn't know he had his camera on! haha

I "hang" on to the "Warden" - 'cause I figure it's like working cattle. Only 2 places to be - either out of range, or so close they can only shove you, not hurt you!! Framing hammer at 1" isn't too bad !!!
Mark

Back