Summary of my season (Pic Heavy)

Ursus21

Well as I already posted earlier my daughter got our deer season off to a good start first killing a nice mature doe and then this mature whitetail buck a few days later.
CopyofDanielleBigBuckNov2BLarge.jpg

Next it was my 3rd oldest boy's turn. He got his third 5x5 muley in a row. This buck's antler's were actually bigger than they appear. The horse-sized body on this buck sort'a dwarfed the antler size making them appear smaller than they really are.
CaydenMuleDeerBig.jpg

The day before my son killed his buck, my son spotted a this young cow elk. He didn't have a tag, but I did. One shot at 540 lasered yards and dat was dat. For you gun nutz it was a custom made rifle by Long Range Rifles, LLC http://www.longrangehunting.com/lrr/index.php chambered in 7mmDakota Mag.
ElkTroy.jpg

The next weekend my uncle and his daughter (my cousin) came to visit me from Oregon. It was her first big game hunt and his last. He decided before the hunt that this would be his last deer hunt and wanted to enjoy it with his daughter on her first. We saw some great bucks, but just couldn't close the deal on any of the biggest bucks. They both filled their tags and she left with her head full of memories of the big one's that got away. However it's motivating her to try again.
smile.gif

This is the buck she ended up with with. She made a great running shot that I've seen a lot of experienced hunters miss. Heck it was bigger than my first buck. The really cool part is she had her 9 year old daughter along and she got to see everything. Even though it grossed her out a little I think she enjoyed watching the deer get gutted more than anything. Funny how kids find that so fascinating.
HollyStanNalani.jpg

The following evening during the last 20 minutes of legal shooting light and on his last day to hunt, my uncle connected on this pretty buck. While not huge it did have one of the prettiest dark, double throat patch, capes I've seen in a long time. Could darn near pass for a blacktail cape.
Stan.jpg

Then finally during the week of Thanksgiving it was my turn. I had seen a lot of buck but only two or three that held any interest for me. One was a very nice whitetail that I only ended up seeing once. I also saw a mule deer buck that was bigger than the one I ended up with, but I wasn't sure I'd ever see him again either. This buck pictured below I passed up a couple times earlier, but with the hunt winding down along with my enthusiasm to hunt, I ultimately decided to kill him. The shot was actually pretty cool. He was steeply uphill from me at 250 yards, and quartering towards me. I hit him in the front of the chest and the 165gr 30 cal Interbond traversed clear through him exiting just infront of his far side hip. At the shot it completely flipped him over backwards, literally sticking his rack in the ground and him on his back. One second I'm looking at his chest, the next second I see his rear and all four feet in the air, with his back a good couple feet off the ground. Looked like he'd just been hit by a frieght train. Pretty impressive out of a 30.06. I've seen a lot of deer killed but that is the first one I ever saw go air born like that. Anyway, he's not huge, but he's no dink either. Had to de-bone and pack him out to the pick up. All in all it was a good season, but I'm glad it's over and now I can get back to what I really love...calling coyotes.
smile.gif
Hope y'all had a great season as well.
MuleDeerTroy2.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a heck of a season for sure. Huge bodies on those mulie bucks, my good word! Very nice pic of your mulie too.

Brian

While I appreciate the HOM nominations, big game is what I focused on most of my life. However, these days hunting big game is just what I do between coyote hunts. Headed back out for my first love tonight. I wouldn't want to be Wiley now that I've given him a month off.
wink.gif

Back