Suggestions on which handgun to get please!

BPS BLASTER

Hello, I was wondering if you could give a guy some ideas on which handgun to get. I am looking to get one for posssibly having on my hip while deer hunting but mainly for target shooting every now and then, mainly just to have one. I would also like to have one that holds it value well. I sure like the look and feel of the 6" Anaconda but am not sure I want to spend thast kind of money. I am looking for input on what the best make or model is.
Thank you for your input.

BPS Blaster

For what your wanting, a good Ruger DA or SA revolver should work well for you. I would suggest a Ruger G-P - 100 with a 4" to 6" barrel in 357 Mag that is a DA revolver meaning the cylander revolves and a chamber fires with each squeeze of the trigger. If you like the old west sort of stuff look into a single action revolver Again I would suggest Ruger, a Blackhawk 357 mag it holsd six shots and is reasonably priced and as accurate as any other revolver. One plus is that the 357 will also chamber a 38 SPL. This is a reasonable chambering for practice as it is lower in velosity than the mag, but is still usible for Self defence if needed and ammunition is reasonably priced still.

If this is your fist one, Id go with a .22, but if you have had prior experience then Id go with a .357. Plenty for deer if you keep your shots reasonable, youll know what YOUR definition of reasonable will be after you practice alot, and ill stress ALOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also recommend the rugers, the GP-100 is a great revolver, very accurate although its a bit heavy but helps tame some recoil. The blackhawk is also a great gun, hard to beat a good single action. Like said, will shoot the .38s and with wadcutters you can kill as much paper and small game as you want without beating your wrist up.

Red hawks are good but for me its a bit too big, and ill use my contender if I want bigger than a .357. If you like the big bores, you may want to go that route.

Best thing to do is find the one that fits your hand the best, that is in your price range

Good luck

Dave

if your wanting one to hunt with a 44mag or 357mag,,,, if you want one for self defence from two leg and four leged critters i would get a glock 9mm

Hard to beat a good .357 Magnum that for sure. Plenty of good factory ammo out there with plenty of power for taking a deer (or just finishing one off) and easy on you and the wallet .38 Special for practice and small game. Single action or double action is what feels best to you. I would get adjustable sights so that you can taylor the loads for your eyes, but you will learn to adjust yourself if you have fixed sights. Fixed sights are more durable too.

At one time I would have said to go for the .44 Mag but there is such good .357 ammo out there I think that you would be hard pressed to find a better caliber for what you are looking for.

It really depends on what you like. For me a 357 is it. I have a 5" GP100 right now but have had others some great and some good. I have a delta elite that other people can hit with with there first shot, for me I have to practice with it to be accurate.
For me revolvers are easer to hit with.

Quote:
And no mention of the .41 mag., what a shame!

As much as I personally like the .41 Mag, there is a reason why it is as unloved as an ugly stepchild. Ammo is hard to come by compared to the 38/357 group, guns have to be on average larger to handle the bigger round, usually on the same frame as the .44 Mag, and there are no .41 Special rounds to practice with.

The .357 is still a better overall choice unless you were maybe going to be in big bear country, then the .41 would be a better bet. However, if this is the case, the .44 Magnum would be better yet in this regard.

Long live the .41 Magnum, but all in all, I am amazed that it has lasted this long.

357 Mag, GP100 with 6" barrel. Replace the sights with a beade front and V notch rear.

Brownell's sells the sights along with the spring kit that will make the trigger a dream.

I have all ways been a model 29 fan my self 6 1/2 inch barrel works great and is not to heavy to carry. I just love the 44 mag.
Picture127.jpg

...buy two! First, get a Ruger Single Six...it is a single action .22lr/.22WMR that will be be cheap to shoot and good practice for a bigger bore. Something to carry when deer hunting, I would go with the orginal Ruger Vaquero or Black Hawk in .45 Colt. Handloaded in a Ruger, the .45 Colt can take anything you will likely to ever come across. The key to the .45 Colt is the ability to shoot heavy bullets. These bullets at a modest velocity will punch through a deer, no problem, while the recoil is more of a slow push.

Jim

I Just remembered, the blackhawk convertables, if they still have them. you get an extra cylinder.

45colt/45 auto

357/9mm

this may be a good deal, especially for the .357/38spcl then and the 9mm.

Dave

For a woods gun I'm gonna throw my hat into the single action ring. Hard to go wrong with any caliber from .357 on up but the .38/.357 will be the easiest and cheapest centerfire ammo to obtain.

There is also a lot to be said about the Ruger Single Sixes in .22/.22mag and the .32 H&R. You may be deer hunting but if you're like me, you'll see tons of small game and targets of opportunity to put the Single Six to use. They also rule for plinking.

A couple posters have suggested .454 Casull and the .500 Mag. If those posts weren't in jest, that's absolutely horrible advice. Neither are beginners guns and for most to start with those calibers is an invitation to permanently sour them on handguns.

I've had two .454s and currently have two .500 Mags, so I think I'm qualified to comment. I love the .500 Mag but I started with a .357 39 yrs ago and worked my way up through .44 Mags to the really big stuff.

As others have said, a fine starter revolver is a DA .357 from Smith & Wesson or Ruger. If you like that and get some practice and want more, you can always up the power factor. Don

Quote:
I sure like the look and feel of the 6" Anaconda but am not sure I want to spend thast kind of money.

I've got a 6" Anaconda, and I think you could do a lot better for the money (unless Colt has improved their quality control, which I doubt).

I'm just sayin, that's not the best purchase I ever made.

I like my S&W Model 29. Mine is the 6.5 inch "Dirty Harry" revolver, without the full underlug.

This is a supremely accurate handgun and is somewhat powerful with full .44 Mag loads. For fun, the .44Special is easy on the hand and the .429"diameter holes are easy to see at a distance.

With the right loads, you can shoot through most critters (flat meplat hard-cast bullets like Buffolo Bullets offers).

You can carry cross draw and have a handy double-action revolver that can be fired very fast, as needed.

For field use, probably you will want a stainless steel gun.

Karl in Phoenix

If this is your first handgun then I would recommend a revolver chambered in 22LR. There is a big diffence between shooting a handgun, and a rifle. I know people who can only shoot a few rounds a year with their rifle and still be effective on game, this is a difficult thing to do with a handgun.

Personally I like revolvers over semi-auto's.

If I was buying my first revolver it would be a S&W revover like the Model 617. This is about as good as it gets in 22 revolvers. IMO this revolver is substantially more accurate than the Ruger Single sixes. I have owned several of both models of S&W's and Ruger's. I will take the S&W every time for accuracy, quality, and resale value.

If you want a big bore then I would look at the S&W model 686 in 357 magnum, or Model 629 in the 44 magnum. You can not go wrong with either of these revolvers. And you will not lose any money on these models.

It is difficult to find a used S&W revolver. So they maintain their value very well. There are a bunch of used Ruger revolvers out there if you want to buy a used one. That alone should tell you something.

I have no idea why the Colt Anaconda and the Colt King Cobra's are so popular. And why they are so expensive. It can only be the fact that they carry the Colt name. I can remember when the dealers cussed these two revolvers. They were overpriced and sat on the dealer shelves for a long time before they sold. And they did not shoot that well. Especially when compared to the Python. The old Python's were a thing of beauty. If you can find an older Python for a reasonable price, you should buy it quickly. Tom.

Back