Successful Northern AZ Lion Hunt

HOMAnimated (1).gif

After countless blank stands and many many miles put on my boots exploring different canyon systems around northern AZ I was finally able to fill my mountain lion tag exactly the way I wanted, by calling in a mature Tom to the Foxpro X24. I woke up at 5am and drove some 40 mins to my favorite canyon, hiked a 1/2 mile down into the bottom of it and set up well before sunrise. I started off my stand with 15 mins of Mrs. Mccottontail before switching over to mule deer fawn distress. For the next 45 mins I would play mule deer fawn distress & whitetail fawn distress interchangeably with random pauses thrown in here and there. Right at the hour mark I caught a glimpse of something I only dreamed of seeing in the wild. Right at 100 yards standing in a clearing was a huge lion. I turned the volume down on my call but kept playing fawn distress as he disappeared into a thicket. After 2 long minutes (that felt like a lifetime) I saw the lion emerge from that thicket towards the call. A 80 yard shot with my Remington 700 chambered in .270 win did the trick and there it was, a true bucket list hunt completed. That’s when the work really started I was alone a half mile from my truck in the bottom of a large canyon with no cell service. I have to thank God for adrenaline because it’s the only thing that got me and that 155lb lion back to the truck. For anyone that dreams of calling in a lion just know it is VERY possible, just takes lots of research, a understanding of cat behavior and a lot of hard work and dedication. Keep at it and don’t get discouraged it can and will happen.
F6BFAAF8-AA6A-4C0F-A647-AEECD58A0401.jpeg

D2BC79FE-C835-4111-876F-BB4146F9E7CE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back