Sub-zero Song Dogs

Borderdog

Over the weekend we got somewhere in the neighborhood of eight inches of snow and the first good cold snap of the winter up here in north central Montana. Monday I had the opportunity to hit the field for my first cold weather coyote hunt. I was born and raised in Montana but spent the last 10 years in Washington and Arizona and nobody that I knew predator hunted up here before I left.

Anyway, I got to my first stand shortly after sunrise. It was kind of nerve wracking getting to the stand location as I was pushing snow with the bumper of my pickup at a couple of points. I managed to make it without getting stuck in any of the drifts and found a place that I deemed safe to park. I set up low on the side of a big coulee and put the foxpro and my decoy on an old hollow dead fall log lower down the side. After maybe five minutes of calling I heard a howl off to my right and a little in front me so I answered back with a challenge howl. That got a howl in response from the original yote and also an answering howl from another dog far off to my left. I know next to nothing about howling so I went back to distress calls and tried every trick and sound that I could think of over the course of the next fifteen minutes. It was nearly impossible to spot any movement as the mule deer came out of the woodwork as soon as I started calling and they were crawling everywhere. About five minutes after I heard the initial howl I spotted a particularly doggy looking bush about 400 yards out. I tried to get a better look with the binos but they were not only fogged up but also had a layer of ice over them. Oh well, I watched it for a few minutes without seeing any movement and then went on with my normal scanning of the countryside. I stopped the call at about twenty minutes into the stand. I let things settle for a couple of minutes then took off the hood of my ghillie suit, got up to my knees, and moved my shooting sticks and rifle so I could get a better look at the “bush.” Due to the fact that I hadn’t been breathing on it my scope was still crystal clear and it revealed the inquisitive face of the coyote that had been watching me for the last 10 minutes. I got into a stable position, lined up my shot, and squeezed the trigger. The coyote dropped it’s head, gnashed it’s teeth a couple of times, and then whirled and ran. I walked out to the spot the coyote had been standing, easily recognizable by the tracks and clumps of fur in the snow, fully expecting to see the dogs body within a hundred yards of the spot. I tracked the dog for around three hundred yards before I decided it was no longer worth the effort of wading through thigh deep snow drifts in carhartt bibs. I have done a lot of shooting and have every confidence in my .22-250 out to 400. The dog was facing me and as he ran off I could see that no legs were broken. I’m not sure where I hit, but with him facing me and knowing it wasn’t a leg shot I can’t think of a whole lot of places that I could have hit that aren't vital.

After the first stand I called one of my buddies that had planned on trying to meet me in the field to let him know where I would be. He came up with several previous engagements and informed me that he had a lot of respect for a guy that would go out and call when it was 25 degrees below zero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif While driving to the next stand I couldn't help but wonder if he might not have actually had any previous engagements and just didn't want to come out into the cold.

My second stand was in a dry creek bottom of sorts. I set up about mid way down the incline and set my foxpro and decoy in the bottom. Given the terrain I figured anything coming in would come from my right side and I set up my rifle accordingly. I turned on the foxpro and was greeted by 20 seconds worth of snowshoe hare before it froze up. I'm assuming it froze due to the fact that it would work in the pickup but not outside and the batteries were fresh with only 30 minutes worth of calling on them. I always carry my lanyard so I just picked up with one of my hand calls and laid back on the hill Les Johnson style (one of my friends says I watch too much Predator Quest but I'm not even sure that's possible). After a few minutes I spot a coyote about a mile out following a fenceline in. I saw that he was going to come in from either my left side or straight in front of me (downwind) and thats when I noticed a oversight on my part in stand location. I didn't realize until it was too late that there was absolutely no terrain features for the dog to run behind that would allow me to move my rifle without a chance of being seen. So I did my best impression of a three toed sloth and tried to slowly move into position. Not an easy task given that half of the length of my shooting sticks was under the snow. My luck being what it is, the dog came in right in front of me as I was leaned to the side with one half of the sticks on solid ground and the other half of them with what appeared to be an endless void of snow underneath. What's a guy to do? I've got a coyote standing facing me 100 yards down wind and me in a position reminiscent of a game of twister. I did the only thing that a man of my caliber can do in a position like that. I missed. Once standing and three more times on the run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

On to stand number three. I set up on the side of a hill with just my decoy down in front of me. There was a small cow pond 100 yards in front of me and a brushy creek bottom a mile or so off. I started calling and was primarily looking in the direction of the creek bottom. I had a cross wind blowing from left to right. Fifteen minutes into the stand I look towards the pond and there is a dog standing on the berm looking at me. As she started down the berm I moved into position and tried to whistle her to a stop. She kept walking moving towards my downwind side. Whistling didn't work so I moved on to barking and eventually cussing. Finally I decided she wasn't going to stop and shot her before she winded me. A couple more minutes of uneventful calling and I went to claim my prize.

By the time I got around to stands four and five it was well into the afternoon. The heavy snow and lack of someone to pull me out if I got stuck kept me fairly well bound to the main roads and I had to travel more between stands than what I'd planned. Only five stands hunting from sunrise to sunset still seems to slow to me even considering the conditions so I've got some room for improvement. All things considered it was a great hunt and probably the most fun I've had out chasing coyotes.

Nate12-18-08008.jpg

The coyote

Nate12-18-08003.jpg

The dog again

Nate12-18-08011.jpg

My mad bomber after the third stand

Nate12-18-08013.jpg

The view from stand 4

Nate12-18-08016.jpg

Stand 4

Nate

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Isn't great to get out in Big Sky country in this weather. I like the cold days, sunny skies and little wind. I stay home if its below zero. You have more snow, glad to see you are getting out and having success!

Nicely done Borderdog. Way to adapt and overcome. We got those same sub zero temps you got up north although we did not get near that much snow. Two inches at most. Got to love the cold temps though. It tends to keep the wind at bay which can be brutal down here. I will be going out this weekend to hunt 3 private ranches that all border each other that I stumbled into. Its new country for me but one of the ranchers is a sheep guy so I know there are dogs everywhere. Again, nicely done.

You're an inspiration, Nate! After reading Granger's story and now yours, I'm convinced it's worth going out in this cold weather. It was 21 below when I got up at 07:00 this morning . . . should have gone after a few coyotes! Great job on the hunt and way to stick with it.

Borderdog,you've made me feel like a wimp,it's been a nice comfortable -2 here the past couple mornings and I thought it was cold. In my own defence we have also had the freezing fog,that doesn't help anything.

Great write up and pics. Congrats.

Enjoyed your post awesome job. You Montana fella,s
are tough!Thanks for sharing Nate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great story Nate. As you have probably guessed, there are a lot of coyote hunters just about everywhere now. It's the new "deer hunting". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The good thing is most folks aren't crazy enough to venture out in sub zero weather just to kill a worthless coyote. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Keep at it and glad to see the hand calls saved the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I see you are helping your calling by wearing a rabbit fur decoy on your head!

BTW, what kind of boots and mitts do you wear to keep hands/feet warm? That is what gets me first in the cold. I do have a pair of GI trigger finger mittens and nice Gates gloves, and a set of Cabela's Outfitter 1000-gram Thinsulate boots as well as a set of big Sorels. Still, once I stop moving for more than five-ten minutes the cold starts creeping in. Hard to walk any distance in the Sorels, they're like boat anchors. Or maybe it's that I'm out of shape? NAAAHHH...

Colorado Pete

Everyone gives me a hard time about the bomber hat and I can't figure out why. I keep telling the guys at work that I could walk into any night club in New York and get any girl I wanted while wearing that thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif In all honesty in spite of how goofy looking they are they are far warmer than any other hat I've worn. A beanie can't even come close.

I was wearing some liner socks along with two pairs of regular socks under a pair of lacrosse packs. My toes did get cold and I've since picked up some wool socks and I'll see if they help when I go out again Monday. For my hands I wore a pair of wool mittens that flip up off of the fingers and are fingerless underneath. I had a light pair of liner gloves underneath. For the rest of me I had on long underwear, carhartt work pants, and heavy carhartt bibs, a heavy cotton shirt, and a walls liner jacket under a heavy carhartt jacket. I know, I know. I sound like a carhartt comercial. What can I say? It's great stuff.

Mike,

I know what you mean. Today I was working in a fairly remote area that normally only gets pressure from antelope hunters and ran into two different coyote hunters within two miles of each other. The bad part is I was planning on calling that area Monday. Oh well, there's plenty of prairie to go around. One of the guys used to work with my dad back before I left. He picked up coyote calling a couple of years back and is one of your fellow doggers. He swears by it. I'd like to give the decoy dogs a shot but somehow I don't think my boxer and minpin are up for it.

Nate

Borderdog just read your post. I know you guys have an aversion to dropping by Willow Creek, but come on up. I"m off till 12/26 and the boss ain't there till the following tuesday.

Terry

Last edited:
Terry,

I've been meaning to swing by since I saw you registered here but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to get up that way. You might not remember it but I met you earlier this summer when I transfered back up.

Nate

Nate,

I got into winter backpacking/camping back around '80/'81. Have had a few sub-zero nights in the sleeping bag & tent, but nothing worse than about -14/-13. Being out and about in it, or in worse, and having to sit still, is something I wouldn't want to try.

Lemme give you some advice you may have hear before: AVOID COTTON. (Rule 1: Cotton kills in winter). Especially against the skin. When it gets damp from perspiration it stays damp for a while and sucks all the warmth out of you.
Some of the newer synthetics such as Patagonia's Capilene (and the various competitors) work wonders, especially in the 'expedition weight' version. They wick away sweat moisture and dry quickly, and are warm even when damp. Polar fleece layers do the same.
You can't beat wool for socks, pants, and shirts. Warm even when damp.

Be careful how many pairs of socks you try to cram into your boots. Too tight a fit compresses your feet and restricts blood flow, which is what circulates warmth throughout your body. Good way to freeze your feet. Found that out on my first winter trip (oww..)

One thing I've tried for warm feet is keeping my knees warm. If my knees or ankles get cold, everything downstream of them gets cold too!. I tried those neoprene rubber sleeve knee braces that athletes wear. Had to cut out a relief hole at the back of the knee to allow for the bending of the joint (without the hole the rubber bunched up in wrinkles which chafed badly while walking) but they keep my knees warm and dry even when kneeling in snow. I wear them under the long johns. Legs/feet feel much warmer.

congrats,good hunt and story!
+1 on colorado Petes post,avoid cotton,use wool or fleece.
polypropline liner socks and wool in your boots I buy my boots 1 size larger than I need.

Back