Sub MOA Mini 14 Target

Big change in accuracy, the two I owned in the past couldn't be trusted to hit a large sedan, unless they were discharged inside.
Hope Ruger sticks with it, the old ones had some of the worst craftsmanship on and American built firearm I had ever seen, went bang every time, but they sure could be hard on the eyes. That on the other hand is one good looking set up.

Quote:
Caster, I like the looks of your mini. If I was interested in having one put together similar to yours, what kind of money are we talking about?

Aside from the worthless little red thing, it looks like a pretty nice rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

This is an all factory job, from Ruger. I got it for 799.99 plus tax at Bass Pro.

All this one needs is better optics, than the bushnell that is on it now.

I only mounted it because I had doubts in its accuracy. I think this one needs a little more than a 3x9

If I remember right,,,,,,,,another member of this forum did a very lengthly and fair test on a new Mini14Target and had very different results. He went about it with an open mind, and really positive attitude but just couldn't make it shoot that well.
I would do a search, and take a long look at his post before running out and buying a new Mini because of one target.
Maybe they are all good now and he just got a lemon?????
It would be nice if Ruger did get things right on the Mini. Then the guys and gals in Canada and Cal. would be able to shoot semi-auto. With the track record of the Mini, it might be too little to late. Too bad to, cause it's a nice little rifle and very dependable.
Later

As Jack stated, the 5-5-shot group testing is pretty normal for accuracy testing. This method is usually used for load development as well. 5-5-shot group testing is what I use for std/hunting rifles. Heavy or target types, I use 3-10-shot groups for average. What I ma looking for is consistency in accuracy potential for average over 30 shots. The old guys that taught me used 10-10-shot groups for testing match loads and rifles. This is certainly some type of testing but 3, 10's is good enough for me.

As we have discussed on here many times concerning accuracy, it is not the best group a rifle or ammo has ever produced but the average it can continue to produce on demand. As for the AR mention, I have several AR's that will produce 3, 10-shot group averages with factory ammo of 3/4 inches or less. No Mini-14 will ever compete against the accuracy of an AR as its workings are not set to do so in my opinion. I hope to be testing some of these Mini-14 conversions from the so called top boys in the business to see what they can really do in the near future. Maybe Ruger has finally got it right! I hope so.

Quote:

As for the AR mention, I have several AR's that will produce 3, 10-shot group averages with factory ammo of 3/4 inches or less. No Mini-14 will ever compete against the accuracy of an AR as its workings are not set to do so in my opinion.

Thanks for introducing a little reality, Steve.

And as has been already mentioned, a shooter awhile back posted a thread on his Mini-14 Target that was not a great improvement over the standard Mini-14...

My mind keeps flashing to a potential new offering from Springfield Armory..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif a 30 caliber M1A1 that's been totally pimped out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

-BCB

I have the same gun and out of 13 5 shot groups only one went over an inch and it was my fault because the harmonic balancer was loose,I shot a 4 shot group last Sunday that was a little under a inch at 200 yards.Until you try one don't knock it,They are quite a bit more accurate than the older ones.I have only shot reloads out of mine so far.My load is 27.5 grains of w748 using a 52 grain Berger Match Varmint Bullet.I still like ARs.I just have more fun with the Mini.:)

Nice shot group indeed, but that's the exception to the rule for the mini. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, no.

You seem to have a pretty sweet shooter there, but:

-Still gotta clean from the muzzle, eh?

-Bolt's still annoying to remove/re-install, eh?

-Still only shoots as wel as the average AR, eh?

-Still have a pretty limited variety of accessories, eh?

And no, I'm not Canadian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Yeah, no.

You seem to have a pretty sweet shooter there, but:

-Still gotta clean from the muzzle, eh?

-Bolt's still annoying to remove/re-install, eh?

-Still only shoots as wel as the average AR, eh?

-Still have a pretty limited variety of accessories, eh?

And no, I'm not Canadian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Yeah I do clean from the muzzle, but I use the otis sniper system so that's not a problem eh!

-Bolts not bad for a non amateur eh!

-Shoots just as well as an AR and cost $300 less than most of them. eh!

-No need to accessorize... it's just the way I like it. eh!

And I'm a Texan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thats not too shabby for a ruger-if it were a 10/22. For a mini 14 thats a darned miracle. Go buy lots of lottery tickets and hope and pray that the thing doesnt beat itself to bits rattlin round in the stock. 799 is a ton of money to pay for ANY ruger rifle- Bar None. But its lookin like you got a good one.

well its like this, the guys on perfect union have been for years shooting sub moa groups with a standard mini with the barrel cut off at 16" with a brake on, a match grade heavy barrel with adjustable tuner oughta shoot bug holes, and you can buy a standard production AR for the same money or less, which shoot just like that, add 300 bucks to the cost of your mini and your in custom rifle land which my friend will do that or better on a bad day.
Mini's can be made to shoot, and shoot well, but it costs big money to get them there, a good barrel for a mini is 500 bucks, I know, I have 2.
All a barrel tuner does is helps a bad barrel shoot acceptable, a good barrel doesn't need one.
RR

Quote:
well its like this, the guys on perfect union have been for years shooting sub moa groups with a standard mini with the barrel cut off at 16" with a brake on, a match grade heavy barrel with adjustable tuner oughta shoot bug holes, and you can buy a standard production AR for the same money or less, which shoot just like that, add 300 bucks to the cost of your mini and your in custom rifle land which my friend will do that or better on a bad day.
Mini's can be made to shoot, and shoot well, but it costs big money to get them there, a good barrel for a mini is 500 bucks, I know, I have 2.
All a barrel tuner does is helps a bad barrel shoot acceptable, a good barrel doesn't need one.
RR

A little negative don't you think, I never said an AR wouldn't shoot, I know they will. The purpose of my post was to let all of my fellow hunters know that there is another option out there besides an AR, that will be able to do quick follow up shots and still be able to shoot accurately doing so. There are a few of us that just don't like the looks of a AR style rifle. Now, we have other options... Thanks for your time I'm outta here good bye.

nope, not negative, just honest. I like mini's, I have 2, one shoots in the .2's, the other shoots sub moa with about every 55 gr. factory load I ever tried in it. I have an AR that shoots in the .2's with cheap reman ammo and it costs 400 bucks less than what I have in the 223 mini ranch rifle.
RR

Quote:
I have the same gun and out of 13 5 shot groups only one went over an inch and it was my fault because the harmonic balancer was loose

Not being to keep the harmonic balancer tight was one of the problems the guy I mentioned in my other reply was having.
Like I said "He did a very unbiased and fair evaluation". Do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I really do hope they get it figured out, but after owning 2 of them, they would have to be gold plated and free for my intrest to be rejuvinated.
Later

I'd rather have sister in a whorehouse than own a Mini14, but my AR run's better than that.

The best Mini I ever shot would not kill a sqwirl at 50yds.

Clayman

Nice group casterbuster. Looks like Ruger finally took some steps in the right direction. They need to do something about that stock though. Kinda funky. Now they can work on providing some less expensive mags and some more accessories. Congrats on getting a shooter. Hopefully it will keep delivering.

Please don't take this wrong as I'm simply making an observation. On your last post you said to Ridge Runner:

Quote:
"A little negative don't you think, I never said an AR wouldn't shoot, I know they will. The purpose of my post was to let all of my fellow hunters know that there is another option out there besides an AR, that will be able to do quick follow up shots and still be able to shoot accurately doing so. There are a few of us that just don't like the looks of a AR style rifle. Now, we have other options... Thanks for your time I'm outta here good bye."

I'm confused by you appearing to be surprised at receiving what you felt was a "negative" response. Early in the thread it sure seemed like that was what you were fishing for. You even seemed disappointed when it did not happen. lol!

You said: Quote:
I guess all of you non believers are speechless . I guess a picture speaks a thousand words. I love it.

Quote:
what you AR guys don't have anything to say, you guys sure slammed the mini an awful lot in the past, and I agree the previous minis were crap when it came to accuracy.

But, now it's a whole new ball game. I just wonder what it would do with hand loads to bad I don't reload.

I'm surprised you didn't get a negative response. Sounds like the replies were pretty supportive and informative in light of the slight baiting. I don't think there are "non believers" as much as there are a majority of past and present mini owners that are a little disenchanted still by the lackluster performance of previous mini models. Again, glad to see improvements being made. I'd like to get another one.

Enjoy your new rifle and post some pics when you get it bloodied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good hunting

Clayman90,If you can' hit a sqwirl at 50 yards with a mini then I doubt it's the guns fault Maybe you could hit a Wabit wit it.Try shooting a little more, and I'm really sorry to hear about your sister and all I hope things get better for her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like "Wahhhhaahaa" Wa wa wa. My gun is better than yours yadda yadda. Don't knock it until you try it. I remember how bad people dissed savage's when they first dove back into the rifle market. Now, everybody respects their accuracy. Personally until I shoot a rifle, I don't buy what gun rags say. When was the last time a gun rag said something bad about any gun? Hell for 750 I'll probably pick one up just to see how it does. I'm sure a little blue lock tight on the set screws will fix the dampner coming loose. Hmmm... so far I haven't heard anything else bad about this version of the 14. Having shot m-16's in all conditions, I would take an AK or an ACCURATE mini-14 7days a week and twice on sunday.

That's just my opinion.. and opinions are like awe hell you know.

Back