Starting a new firearms business and want some opinions

You have to have a feel for YOUR neighborhood.We have 2 small towns right here,with a few gunshops.Each does a different business.
One shop is 2 cowboy shooters and sells cowboy guns and hunting rifles,with a few LEOs coming in for tacticool stuff.
The other is run by an ex-sheriff and sells pistols and more rifles,with a few ARs+.And a gunsmith in back.Some holsters etc.Tons of deer/elk hunters here
My closest shop has an expensive clientele and can sell anything.But they aren't in a hury and will order from her.
The next has a bunch of ex military and sells collector guns left and right.You have to stop in everyday to get the really cool stuff.He sells tons of ammo and gear in a tiny shop.(he's expanding too) And he will tell you this isn't a charity.
Now we are 50+ miles from the real world,so on line and traveling to the box stores can be necessary for most good gear.

I ,personally don't like online shopping.I like to hold the item.Feel it.
A gun shop worker ask if I wanted to see something.(I was drooling on the glass) I said No I might want to buy it,so he quickly handed it to me.

I would agree it could be a long first year,or two,but I think holding guns and accessories sells them.You just have to figure out what the locals want to touch.

Good luck in your endeavor

Isn't whittakers guns in missouri? That is a pretty tough act to beat!

You should stock some tikka t-3's, a bunch of cz's both rimfire and CF, throw in a couple rem 700 and savage rifles. Maybe some ruger 10/22's.

Some beretta 3901 shotguns for the budget minded folks. Probably get a number of moderate priced repeaters maybe in the 400-800 dollar range.

I think a nice used inventory is a really good idea.

Some weaver scopes and a couple leupy's.

Good priced transfer fee's! Most folks like me never buy from a store and get everything online. Should try to offer the best transfer price in the area.

A nice supply of glocks and caliber conversion barrels along with SS guide rods and increased power springs would be great. Maybe keep a advantage arms 22 kit on hand.

You will need to be or have a very good gunsmith! Good gawd, there's a need out there for them. Word will get around that you have a good smith and that alone will bring in business.

CZs are a very strong moving product. Get involved with other forums like rimfire central and you should get some CZ business there. They have a huge CZ cult following.

Scopes are another chunk of $ to have laying around on the shelf. Sponsor some youth shooting clubs or a team.

Be come a sponsor on here and try to garner some business. We all want to spend out money with people that share the same passion.

I wish you all the luck & please post up how you're doing. I will try to spend some cash through your shop.

Eric

When you tell a customer you are ordering something for them ....... ACTUALLY place that order!

Our best shop here in my home town and the on that replaced it .... poor replacement ..........

They both invariably will tell you they are getting something in ....... and don't!

You walk in weeks later and ask ......... and you get the following:

............. "Oh, I better order that!!!"

DUH!

I go home and call Midway or other and get it right NOW!

I want to support local shops because this is why gunsmiths are hard to come by ............

BUT not if they won't follow through on those orders!

Three 44s

Attitude, a good constant coffee pot, mid-range good quality optics on the shelf.
Those are my biggies. The problem you are going to face is that in trying to please everyone you will have so much cash tied up in stock that you will be broke before you start. Best thing I can recommend is to set up something with your wholesalers where you can order and receive items at the drop of a hat. You are getting into a really competitive area, especially with all of the online gunshops out there now. Firearms are fun, but you won't make much selling them, its the accessories and sundries that you can do well on.
I think the biggest mistake I see is the local gunshop tacking a massive markup on items. I don't mind paying a few dollars more to keep the little guy in business, but if it means that I pay through the nose for everything I will just order it online or go to Cabelas and have a shopping spree.
Best of luck with your shop though, hope it works out well for you.

Deal in high quality used rifles and scopes. The dealer I smith for probably sells more high dollar used rifles than any other in Montana. He quit stocking new guns because there is no margin in them. Look for estate sales and pay a fair price for your items but leave yourself room for profit. You can always order the new stuff in. Good used stuff and lots of trading is where the money is. Travel a little and do some gunshows they are a great way to meet people and make connections.

A good gunsmith is essential to your success. "In House" is best, but good referrals are helpful, as well. Customer Service is more important than "gee whiz" type inventory. I can't tell you how many of the Gun Shops in my area don't understand the term "Customer Service". Your customers deserve your very best. This includes prompt attention, patience, helpful attitude, undivided attention, and speedy turn around on repairs and orders. Any sales staff with a "know it all" and "condescending" attitude are best working for your competitors. Blowhards and braggarts fall in the same category. I own a small but successful gunsmithing business with no retail space, hence very low overhead. I can't and don't compete with the stocking dealers in my area in any areas but those mentioned above. My customers know that they will receive prompt, professional, and fair treatment in my shop. I give the best advice that I can and allow them to make their own decisions about their purchases, upgrades, and repairs/builds. Please feel free to e-mail me if I can help you in any way. cafr at centralazfirearms dot com

Back