Started my 2017/2018 coyote season

I feel honored to be nominated. I realize now I never finished the story.. I'll try my best to remember the events of that morning..

Chapter 6:

A few distance howls give me a direction. I carry on. My next location gives me a good view of a narrow draw running perpendicular to me. I start with soft distress.. I expect them to come from my left so I'm set up facing in that direction.. 4 5 6 minutes go by.. I gradually increase volume.. I scan back to my hard right and I catch a glimpse of eartips dancing thru the sage. Only 70 yards distant. They disappear into a low spot. I focus my attention in front where I expect them to reappear.. Suddenly I notice a face looking back towards me. She is 80 out sitting down looking my way.. We locked eyes for a second and she whirls troting away from me. I bring the rifle on target the crosshairs sitting right on her posterior.. 90, 110. 140.. I wait for her to stop but I realize she is going stait away. With a Berger in the pipe I just send it.. She flips over, end for end.. Still in just a second or two.. The Berger penetrate well, easily reaching the vitals with the classic "Texas heart." I move on.

I move maybe a mile. Setup has me once again looking over another draw running from right to left.. This one considerably larger than the last..
I start distress again.. This time louder than before.. 2 minutes I hear howls an barks up and to my left. I see 2 hard chargers coming full tilt in my direction. They are howling on the run as if to tell anyone else,"we got this one!" the lead coyote runs hard strait to the call 40 yards or so in front of me. Unfortunately I made another mistake with this setup. The placed the call in a slight depression and when sitting I couldn't see it.. He runs right by catching my wind and never slowed.. I turn towards his mate. She hung up a hundred or so distant. She sees my movent and begins to bug out quickly.. The crosshairs find her and I send one. I see my splash just behind quickly make the necessary lead compensation and send another.. Thhwooop! She spins runs just over the hill.
I smile, 3 coyotes in an eve and a morning.. Not bad for this amateur.. But most importantly, I revisted lessons learned... I apply them next week...

Back