SPS Tactical accuracy update/question....

BangFlop

Going back a few weeks, I was shooting Black Hills (blue box) 60 gr Vmax. I really wanted to shoot these based on reviews on this board. However, I got pretty sporadic grouping if about 2" or so. Not what I want in a heavy barrel .223.

So, I purchased 2 boxes of the Hornady Superformance 53 gr Vmax because of positive reviews on here as well. They didn't shoot any better, and possibly worse at 2-3" groups.

Then a good friend of mine gave me some reload that he said are his "any .223 will safely shoot this load very well". So I shot a 5 shot group of right at 3/4". I adjusted 13 clicks as they shot about 2" low and fired another 5 shot group of about 1".

I told you all that to ask your opinion on this.....do I.....

1) Just shoot the reloads and leave the gun alone?
2) Try some 68-69 gr factory, such as Federal, Black Hills or Ultramax?
3) Do I buy a Bell & Carlson light Tactical stock and try the BH 60 gr Vmax again? Will the stock make that much difference?

Thanks for all your time and help on this. I love PM!

Steve

Originally Posted By: BangFlopThey where hollow points, but not sure if 50 or 55 grain.

I would simply try to duplicate his load in factory ammo. That would be the jump off point. Get some more trigger time in, and work with what works.

I don't see a new stock NOT helping, but it may not be totally necessary for a hunter rifle.

So you do not see me getting the 60 gr Vmax down to around an inch with a stock change? The factory stock is flimsy, but I do not think it is touching the barrel.

I can get the reloads made, that is not a problem. Just do not see many people shooting hollow points on here.

Have the guy reload some 60 gr VMax. The factory loads may just not be setup for your rifle. Seating depth, charge weight and type of powder, brass consistency, primers...all of it plays a roll in accuracy.

I've had 2 SPS rifles, with sporter barrels, both shot my reloads sub-MOA with ease. Same with a m7 with a flimsy plastic stock.

Did you change anything about your shooting habits on this last trip?

Not really, feel like I shot all the groups about the same. Shot the last time with the 53 gr Hornady and reloads from the lead sled this time. I would put a $250 stock on it tomorrow if that is what it is? I just didn't imagine a .223 would be this fussy.

Couple suggestions:

1) If you've got $250 burnin a hole in your pocket, pick up reloading gear and I'd bet you money that you could get the 60gr Vmax to shoot!

2) Ask the guy what the reloads were. Depending on which hollow point they are, they may work just fine.

The hogue stocks are not attributed to consistency. A bedding job may help.

I think your very best bet is to get with the guy reloading those rounds. See exactly what the load is.

Better yet, have him help you with load development with the 60 VMax. Also, don't forget most factory barrels settle in after shooting them for a while. I've never seen a 2" gun. Let alone one that goes 2" to 3/4". Unless its a barrel settling in or something is inconsistent with the shooters technique or something similar.

Not saying that's what happening here (technique) but you need to be consistent from shot to shot, load to load, day to day, to eliminate the rifle as the culprit.

Sorry, but I don't really remember the specs in your earlier thread...Since you are playing with the heavier bullets, I'm assuming you have a 1/9 twist barrel..

If you are going for accuracy, spend a little extra money and install the action in a HS tactical stock with the aluminum bedding block...Adjust your trigger down to the lightest safe point and install a decent optic...

I have an older 700 SPS Tactical with a 1/12 twist that puts 60 grain reloads in a 1.25" group at 200 yards...It would probably be better if I spent more trigger time on it...

Rem700SPSa.jpg

200yard60V-Max-Rem700b.jpg

I doubt that you will find many factory rounds that will produce that kind of accuracy and your friend needs to build loads specific to your rifle, rather than throwing any combination of components together..What works really well for one will seldom work for another

I've played around with a number of Model 700's and have never replaced the stock on any of them. When I get one, the first thing I do is to adjust the trigger, and I've never had a Model 700 with a bad trigger. The next thing is to try a number of different bullet/powder combinations and shoot them until I find one that works for me. I don't shoot factory loads, only reloads, so there are many different combinations you can come up with and one is almost certain to work.

I will find out exactly what the reloads are and let you know. He said he would work me up a load.

Just wanted to know about stock difference.

Thanks.

On the SPS I had, I bit the bullet and bought a $200+ stock with the bedding block.. suffice it to say I didnt see enough accuracy gain to justify the spent money. Id try to get it shooting better first. Good luck

I have the same rifle. I originally shot the Winchester white box 40 gr HP to accumulate the brass. It would shoot 3/4 inch with those. Then started reloading for it. It likes any bullet from 40 to 75 gr. However, the 68 gr. Hornady or the 69 Gr. Serria HPBT is it's favorite. Charged with some Varget it will make a ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yrds. You may be having some powder/seating depth problems. Ask your friend to load some with whatever bullet on hand and seated to the lands.

Tom

Originally Posted By: BangFlopFrom the sounds of it, reloads is the answer before stock. Thanks guys.

I think you simply have not tried enough ammo yet to start getting frustrated with it or question it........

Sound I try some of the Black Hills, Ultra Max or Federal in a 68 it 69 grain before reloading instead?

I have 65 rounds down the pipe so far.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: BangFlopFrom the sounds of it, reloads is the answer before stock. Thanks guys.

I think you simply have not tried enough ammo yet to start getting frustrated with it or question it........

Agreed.

My SPS TAC shoots good. They do have a pillar bed stock in that Hogue.

Play with it some. It will work out.

The bullets are 55 grain Downtown HP's. Chronic at 3120 out of 20" barrel.

Any experience with them?

He work me a load up, I just have to provide the materials. Any suggestions? 200 and under WI coyotes.

Thanks.
Steve

Back