Sorting brass?s

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

Then try a better scale not one overpriced because it's for reloading. One that will tell you the difference to .02 gr, once you measure out a few of these to that level of accuracy you will see that there are more than a few pieces of powder in that difference (25.4-25.5gr with Varget it's about 15 grains usually).

Are you guessing, or just making it up as you go along?

lol.gif

I think he meant to type 5... and was probably referring to kernels. Maybe not.

I meant that if you have a scale that is capable of .01 accurate and you measured the number of Varget kernels that it takes to tip the scale .1gr it's typically 15 in my experience. But you can't say that it's that every single time since the kernels are very consistent, but not perfect.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZOriginally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

Then try a better scale not one overpriced because it's for reloading. One that will tell you the difference to .02 gr, once you measure out a few of these to that level of accuracy you will see that there are more than a few pieces of powder in that difference (25.4-25.5gr with Varget it's about 15 grains usually).

Are you guessing, or just making it up as you go along?

lol.gif

I think he meant to type 5... and was probably referring to kernels. Maybe not.

I meant that if you have a scale that is capable of .01 accurate and you measured the number of Varget kernels that it takes to tip the scale .1gr it's typically 15 in my experience. But you can't say that it's that every single time since the kernels are very consistent, but not perfect.

15 huh??
Your scale isn't weighing the same as mine.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Dave,

Serious question. Are you saying that my rifle, which is just a heavy sporter 6.5x47, has an issue with the load because it coincidentally prefers one charge over another in the center of a node- based purely on 100 yard group results. I mean, it shoots mid .3s with any load over that .7 range I mentioned earlier, but it'll shoot consistently better with the 37.9 load.

Or was your reply more about BR?

No, I wasn't talking about your load or rifle specifically at all. Just talking about how the vast majority of short range BR shooters don't weigh charges, so aren't loading any closer than +/- a tenth. And, that I personally prefer loads that aren't that finicky.

Three's are good enough for anything I ever do with a rifle though. I only have a few rifles right now that shoot in the twos. I've never had a rifle that shot in the ones. I mean, I've shot lots of groups in the ones, but never for average.

I guess if I ever had one like that, I'd never know it. A load finicky to the tenth is one I'd just probably never see because I don't weigh my hunting charges either. But if by finicky to the tenth, that meant it was shooting three's on a bad day, I'd be good with that
laugh.gif

Just being theoretical, who knows, everybody has their own take on things, but I don't think I'd like that load for an actual BR competition though. Like I said, anything sensitive to a tenth, is, well, it's sensitive! Humidity, temperature, powder lot, even a new bullet making die or change in jackets could push it off it's one tenth wide perch. One's can win any match, anywhere. But three's are usually going to put you in last place in any match, anywhere. Loading outdoors, between matches and all, ehhhh, that's not a load I think I'd run in that situation.

My rifles, killing stuff? 'ell yeah I'd run that!

- DAA

T-Bone I agree with some of what you're saying, I really do. I was just saying that it simply doesn't take 15 granules of varget to make a tenth. I am quite certain about this.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I agree, hunting charges probably aren't worth weighing. I throw charges for game rifles, never had a problem. In fact, my main big game rifle won't shoot anyway.... I just like using it because it's sentimental.

I had Jon build me this 6.5 for mule deer hunting, because sentimental only gets you so "far." Haha

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ

I do the ladder testing, for example 36.0, 36.25, 36.50 within the safe ranges for that caliber. Then when i see a decent group, go back and narrow in and do loads by .1 increments and then again at .04 differences.

After you narrow down to a .1 increment, how many loads do you try with a 4 one-hundredths of a grain difference, and still stay within the .1 increment?

Originally Posted By: CZ527

I had Jon build me this 6.5 for mule deer hunting, because sentimental only gets you so "far." Haha

A 6.5 from Jon will get you plenty "far".

grin.gif

dave must be feeling cantankerous lately,
thumbup.gif
anyways listen to what he is saying. The only thing I would add is shoot your load at distance to see what it does. I had a load that was .5" at 200 yards on 3 different range outings, shot it at 550 yards and the best it would do is nearly 6" worse yet is it would throw 1 shot high and 2 low or vice versa at the extreme edges of the group. so basically I would miss a coyote EVERY time at that range. I think it shows just how different short range benchrest can be compared to long range.

Found a different load using h4831 SC, that held 1/4 MOA of vertical spread out to at least 800, last time I shot it for groups at that distance it did a 2 and 3/4" group at 800 and 5.5" at 1000. BTW never sorted brass, dave's advice from reloading to rifle build made it possible.

my current line of thought. use the powder measure and just throw charges however they come out for my shorter range stuff, where I am going to be looking for accuracy to 800 or more yards, ie my long range rigs, I am going to still weigh each charge, besides those guns are low volume rigs anyways AND I am much more likely to be using log type powders in them too.

It's been over 15 years since I fired a round in competition (NRA XTC HP), but never weighed anything out to 300 yds. which was good enough to shoot 97% or better scores across the course.

I did weigh charges for 600 and beyond, primarily for the psychological effect, knowing that the ammo would not cost me any points. 600 yd. ammo was weighed to +/- .1 gr. (.1 grains is normally only 3 granules of stick powders, such as 4895, RL 15, 4350, etc.)which might make a difference between shooting .3 or .4 groups from a bench, but is not a factor for my field shooting.

34900899614_7cb2846652.jpg

Loaded all my short range ammo (and hunting ammo) on a Dillon 450 or 550 w/thrown charges that worked well enough for all practical purposes (100 yard reduced 600 yd. target X ring is .75").

35611090531_5e212d2d5a.jpg

Regards,
hm

Back