Son got 1st real coyote today!

Awsome! Love the pic's too! (I kinda like the 10/22 pic a little more...but don't tell the little hunter that!)
Sorry about your loss,...it really touches me that you find enough comfort with people here to share something that tough.
Ya got millions of more hunts ahead of ya with with the sprout,..better stock up on the wheaties and set the alarm!!

Originally Posted By: CTGReally good story. I am sure dad was about as excited as son. Congrats to both of you. i am sorry for your loss.

I was happy that he took his time and made a good shot. We all know how the heart gets to beating when you can watch a coyote coming in!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: jefo65Awsome! Love the pic's too! (I kinda like the 10/22 pic a little more...but don't tell the little hunter that!)

Oh, that one was good, too. First of all, I bought the 10/22 last year for big brother and he shot his first prairie dog with it. Both boys learned on a single shot Savage .22, but the bolt was pretty hard for the older boy to operate, as weak as he was. He was very, very meticulous and consequently, very safe with guns, so last Thanksgiving we drove to town just to look at 10/22's. Local gun store (an _excellent_ store, too) had the compact model and it came home with us. I had to immediately cut 3" off the stock and even then it was tough for him to wrap his little hand around the grip. Previous experience with a S&W MP .22 told me that he could grip an AR grip and the collapsible stock would fit him (and me!), so I quickly ordered the ATI stock and scope. He shot a lot of prairie dogs after that and was turning into a really good shot. The auto-loading of the 10/22 made shooting so much more enjoyable and actually safer because there was no more struggling with loading. We tossed the idea around of a flashlight so that we use the rifle for the skunks we occasionally get and I ordered one. He died between the ordering and the arriving.

After things settled down a bit, I asked my youngest if he'd like to shoot the 10/22. He was a bit hesitant because it was, after all, his brother's gun, but we worked into it. I got him to help me attach the flashlight and I think that helped. After getting comfortable with the rifle and taking some prairie dogs with it, he started asking if it would kill a coyote. I said "well, if we can get one in w/in 75 yards and you make a good shot... yes." So, we were driving home one day from the pasture and this little pup jumped up out of the road and then stopped broadside. That's all we needed and 1 well-placed shot was all it took.

That got the fire going and we started talking about moving to the youth .223 which was in the gun safe now that sister'd gone off to college. We pulled it out, shot it, and I made sure he could work the bolt and knew how to unload it, put it on safety, etc. We switched ammo, shot some more, and here we are!

Here's big brother the day he got the 10/22.

2011-11-23125801.jpg

This was Thanksgiving week and by the end of the week, his hemoglobin was down to 2.8 g/dL (_extremely_ low) and we had to make an emergency trip to ABQ for multiple transfusions. He and mom ended up staying for 10 days between T-giving and Christmas but that's also when we started on a "this probably won't work" steroid treatment to which he DID respond, growing stronger, eating, and maintaining blood levels, giving us probably the best 5 months of his entire life. As I told my wife about a month before he died, "whatever happens, at least we got to see what he _could_ be". That was a blessing.

Anyway, that 10/22 is a special gun for us. Here's youngest with his first prairie dog:

2012-06-29180015_zps6e5deed2.jpg

Back