So what would happen if a ss pin stayed in a case?

Originally Posted By: RustydustI could be wrong, but I thinks physics is going to win out here.

Would you please 'splain to us, WHAT PHYSICS IS GOING ON, HERE????

This is dumb.

For every single grain of unburnt powder that stays behind, hundreds go out the barrel at the speed of light!

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: RustydustI could be wrong, but I thinks physics is going to win out here.

Would you please 'splain to us, WHAT PHYSICS IS GOING ON, HERE??

Well certainly. Be glad to.

One of Newton's three law's of motion:

"For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action". What does this mean? This means that for every force there is a reaction force that is equal in size.

It is all the internet for anyone to read about. Good stuff and to me at least, certainly not dumb.

Calling something that you don't understand as dumb to me is, well, dumb.

Oh, and you may way to check your "speed of light" claim as well. Putting it in our terms the speed of light is 983,571,056 feet per second. I feel pretty sure that no one out there is using that hot a load in any of their guns. Certainly not me!
smile.gif

I can tell you guys on two separate occasions I have shot a .223 from a bolt action rifle and upon ejection a single SS pin came from the spent case. Now, were there more than one in there? Did a separate one trail the bullet down the barrel? I didn't find one
lol.gif
Not exactly sure what what happened. I do use a cage separator and I do tap them again before loading. I can also tell you that it didn't affect the group I shot either....at least not comparatively to the others I had shot.

Before this happened I often thought it would run down the barrel following the bullet and maybe one did. But I do know that at least two have remained in the case after firing.

Ya, a lot goes on in a short period of time. Some may stay, some may not. In all likelihood both answers are correct, but not for the same round being fired depending on where the pin is in relation to the rest of the components.

I don't use SS, I would be careful but wouldn't lose sleep over it one way or the other.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: RustydustI could be wrong, but I thinks physics is going to win out here.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action". What does this mean? This means that for every force there is a reaction force that is equal in size.

And how does this apply to the question at hand.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: RustydustI could be wrong, but I thinks physics is going to win out here.

And how does this apply to the question at hand.

Sorry. Obviously I am not doing a very good job trying to explain it to you. I'm pretty sure that there are others out there that could do a much better job explaining it than I can.

How`s come predator masters has no, `popcorn eating guy` thingy majig
rolleyes.gif

I still think the SS pins would be a good way to clean brass, but admit it would have me inspecting cases very carefully after this thread.

Originally Posted By: HookedHow`s come predator masters has no, `popcorn eating guy` thingy majig
rolleyes.gif

Half of those are just blue boxes with ? in them anyways..

Here ya go, I like this one better anyways.

If you get a separator I do recommend the Dillon unit vs the RCBS. I bought the later and am very disappointed in it.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiverRiderI recommend the one STM sells, or one like it. Separators designed for use with dry media and a five-gallon bucket are not suitable.

Filling that tub up with water works very well.

Greg

After I've been more aware of having a pin stick inside one of my cases I have been turning them upside down and running water through the flash holes and then dropping them in bucket I of clean water and then mixing them by hand. I then dump them in a towel and give them some severe shaking. I haven't had a pin yet since stay in a case. Since I'm using a small small dual rock tumbler that's going to be my routine on them since I only do about a hundred casings at a crack. As for the pin in the case I'm guessing it's going to leave the barrel but scratch up the bore pretty bad if it contacts.

Originally Posted By: NdIndydepending on where the pin is in relation to the rest of the components

I think, like Ndindy, that it would depend on exactly where the pin was located within the powder at the time of firing that would determine what forces were placed on it. If it is up next to the base of the projectile it would probably follow the projectile out the barrel. If it were back close to the base of the case, it would probable remain stationary. If it were somewhere in between, it would react proportionally to it's location and how much powder is behind it. It would never achieve anywhere close to the velocity of the projectile, because there is no pressure seal to create a large pressure differential across it. Likewise there would only be the force of inertia behind it if and when it came into contact with the barrel. I would try to ensure that there is no foreign material inside my cases when I reload, but I would not lose a lot of sleep over the possibility of a stray pin or two being inside the case. Of course, this is all just the opinion of one person, me. In this hobby / passion of reloading, no one source should go unquestioned, no matter how brilliant and good looking that source may be!!!
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SensaiOriginally Posted By: NdIndydepending on where the pin is in relation to the rest of the components

I think, like Ndindy, that it would depend on exactly where the pin was located within the powder at the time of firing that would determine what forces were placed on it. If it is up next to the base of the projectile it would probably follow the projectile out the barrel. If it were back close to the base of the case, it would probable remain stationary. If it were somewhere in between, it would react proportionally to it's location and how much powder is behind it. It would never achieve anywhere close to the velocity of the projectile, because there is no pressure seal to create a large pressure differential across it. Likewise there would only be the force of inertia behind it if and when it came into contact with the barrel. I would try to ensure that there is no foreign material inside my cases when I reload, but I would not lose a lot of sleep over the possibility of a stray pin or two being inside the case. Of course, this is all just the opinion of one person, me.

And me too, but you said it much better than I did I think. Like the old saying goes, it aint rocket science. And in this case for sure, it's just good old common sense.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: RiverRiderI recommend the one STM sells, or one like it. Separators designed for use with dry media and a five-gallon bucket are not suitable.

Greg

I guess your talking about one I haven't seen. I had thoughts of using a dry media separator that utilized a five-gallon plastic bucket, but the basket sat too high and wouldn't be in the water at all. I gave that one away.

Originally Posted By: RiverRiderOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: RiverRiderI recommend the one STM sells, or one like it. Separators designed for use with dry media and a five-gallon bucket are not suitable.

Greg

I guess your talking about one I haven't seen. I had thoughts of using a dry media separator that utilized a five-gallon plastic bucket, but the basket sat too high and wouldn't be in the water at all. I gave that one away.

The RCBS unit has a small tub and is fine. I just don't like how the parts are held together. The Dilon would be fine and it is much solider. I have the buig one and it is to large for the SS quantities of brass we are washing.

Greg

Geeze. I just looked at the Midway site to see what's available in rotary media separators, and they're all different from what they were last time I checked 'em. I didn't see one that I don't think would work. Twenty years just ain't what it used to be!
tongue.gif

I see what yer sayin'. The big Dillon unit looks like it would use up a heck of a lot of water. The smaller one looks about right...and appears to have a better latch design on the basket.

I have used a thumblers tumbler with stainless media for several years. I deprime the cases and when tumbling is done I tip them upside down in the tumbler while still underwater. The media just falls out -I havent had one stick in .223/ 22-250 / 30-06 /.308 /.222 / .270. I dry them with a hair dryer in a flat box and stand them up in a case rack and inspect with a flashlight. The cases come so clean a single pin would stand out like a sore thumb. Just gotta love not having to clean primer holes or worry about scratching dies and they look great!

Back