So this stray dog shows up

Originally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: CatdawgLooks like a pure pit to me.

I'm kinda suprised you said that, Mason.
For one, that'd be a heckuva big pit to be 70 lbs. in such poor shape. That dog could hold another 10 lbs, easy.
And his body is too big in relation to the head to think pure pitdog. And the tail ain't right for a pit either (too thick)
Although there are some family bred bulldogs where white coloration show like that, but I've never seen one with a glass eye?
Eyes & body type tell me: catahoula
White coloration & head shape tell me: some kinda bulldog (pit or AB) But there's plenty of block headed catahoulas, so who really knows? Interesting to speculate about though...

No matter, it is a very, very handsome dog!!!

I hope it serves you well and you done a very good thing taking it in!!!

Just the head and body shape. Their are tons of pure pits out there with glass eyes and that same tail. If you ever seen Gary Hammonds yard you would know that. I've been around game bred pit bulls since I was a kid and can usually spot a pit. Not saying he is for sure but I would bet you he's more pit than not. Now days most people are breeding huge, non dog agressive pits anyways, especially in Texas. Not too many guys want to turn a game bred dog that will hit loose with their hog dog pack, no matter how hard it will hit a hog.

Makes no matter to me, he's a good looking dog and hopefully he's as good in the field.

Take care.

Good looking dog. One of the best dogs I ever had was a lab we rescued cuz the owners just couldn't keep up with him. He was about a year at the time. Turned out some of the best pups we ever had, and to this day when I see a few folks that had pups out of him swear they were the best dogs they had.

One persons trash is anothers treasure, so to speak.

Originally Posted By: CatdawgOriginally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: CatdawgLooks like a pure pit to me.

I'm kinda suprised you said that, Mason.
For one, that'd be a heckuva big pit to be 70 lbs. in such poor shape. That dog could hold another 10 lbs, easy.
And his body is too big in relation to the head to think pure pitdog. And the tail ain't right for a pit either (too thick)
Although there are some family bred bulldogs where white coloration show like that, but I've never seen one with a glass eye?
Eyes & body type tell me: catahoula
White coloration & head shape tell me: some kinda bulldog (pit or AB) But there's plenty of block headed catahoulas, so who really knows? Interesting to speculate about though...

No matter, it is a very, very handsome dog!!!

I hope it serves you well and you done a very good thing taking it in!!!

Just the head and body shape. Their are tons of pure pits out there with glass eyes and that same tail. If you ever seen Gary Hammonds yard you would know that. I've been around game bred pit bulls since I was a kid and can usually spot a pit. Not saying he is for sure but I would bet you he's more pit than not. Now days most people are breeding huge, non dog agressive pits anyways, especially in Texas. Not too many guys want to turn a game bred dog that will hit loose with their hog dog pack, no matter how hard it will hit a hog.

Makes no matter to me, he's a good looking dog and hopefully he's as good in the field.

Take care.

Well if he is Pit or AB he's a very poor specimen. He's way to leggy. He's over 30 inches at the shoulders. His muzzle is too narrow and too long too. But no matter. We'll take him just the same. I'm going with mostly catahoula with a sprinkling of AB. He's my dog and that's that
tt2.gif

Now, we start basic training. Need to get a good handle on him first before talk about being a hunting dog.

Originally Posted By: Airedale56If you haven't done it already you might run him by a vet to see if he's micro-chipped. All mine are.
Owner may want him back.

Planning on it. If not chip then vacs.

If you decide to keep him and want help curing his chicken
killing attitude, pm me. I've cured a few dogs of that
problem. It's not pretty but it's effective.

with no scars or cuts that might be why he is a stray... didnt cut it in the hog buisness and got culled.lol. if he isnt agressive towards humans (kids) and can get him broke of killing chickens, i would keep him.

Update...

Still no owners to be found. We live in a very small community out here and none of the neighbors know him.

He is fitting in nicely. The chicken problem is resolved. I got rid of the chickens. I was down to 8 anyway and tired of feeding them.

Still working on ground manners. He has learned to sit, lay down and shake on command. I've been taking him out to one of my empty fenced goat pastures and letting him run and calling him back to me with a crit-r-call using a specific series of short bursts. He's picking it up fast. and comes right back to me most times as soon as I blow. The few times I have let him outside the fenced area he bolts to the neighbors down the road. He has 3 female dogs. I have to get in the truck and drive down to get him so for now we are confined to my fenced property until I can trust him not to run for the hills when he comes off the leash.

I tested how he would react to the gun a few nights ago with a .22 in the back yard. He didn't like that very much and would run to the back porch each time I fired. He would come right back to me when I called him before each shot so I think he'll come around. Time will tell.

Here's how I've handled it.

Get a cap gun.

When you go out to feed, wait until he's far away or if you have him in a kennel, snap it behind your back as you walk toward the kennel holding and shaking the food dish in front of you.

If he shies or shows fear don't encourage it by using soothing tones. That reinforces his reaction. Just do what you're doing and feed him.

Over a couple of days, wait to snap it until you're closer.

Within a week or so, you'll be able to snap it over your head while his head is in the dish and he'll be wagging his tail.

When I was picking out my Airedale pup, the little Purdy pup ended up at my feet by the time I was done snapping the cap gun behind my back. Other pups showed fear or no interest.She showed interest in what I had and what I was doing. She came home with me.

Back