So it begins.(pic)

chrane

I decided saturday would be a good day to start my coyote hunting season.The first stand of the day is one of my favorite stands.Last year I educated a coyote at least twice that i know of.Never ended up getting a dog off this stand,until saturday.He came in to about 80yrds.I shot once and heard that sound we all like to hear when we pull the trigger.That hollow popping sound of a good hit.Except this hit was a little low.He hit the ground,then got right back up did a spin and was gone.I went and looked for blood,and followed where he went into a small draw but never found him.I was sick about losing him.It's only the 2nd one i've ever lost in 5 years of coyote hunting. The second stand of the day is my all time favorite stand.Last year I got 2 doubles and 1 single off this stand.I get all set up and push the button on my remote to start the jackrabbit distress on the Foxpro.7min into the stand a coyote comes in 100yrds below me.She stops giving me a front on chest shot.Bang-flop.I switch the caller to ki-yi's.3min later i see a coyote sitting down about 200yrds out.I look back to the first coyote and standing 20yrds behind where she is laying is another coyote.Lets just say i came down with a bout of "coyote fever".I shot over the coyote twice.I made 2 more stands for the morning with no more takers.Here is a picture of the female i got on the second stand.
wildlife200.jpg

Congrats on an exciting start to your season! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I can identify with the coyote fever, about 10 years ago I had a coyote surprise me by coming in from behind on my left side. He ended up only 30 yards in front of me slowly bouncing as he was startled and uncertain. I'll never forget my brain leaving my body as I tried to shotgun him from the waist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif with three shots from my .22-250. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Strange thing...

Good luck on the hunts ahead.

John

Good looking coyote.

Heck, I'd quit calling if I didn't get the adreneline rush of coyote fever on every stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tony

Now that's a great way to start the season!!

I also have to agree with TT. When I stop getting excited by spotting a coyote, it'll be time to hang up the calls.

I agree.Sometimes i think i get too excited.Nobody likes to miss,but it does happen.With the way i get coyote fever i won't be hanging up the calls for a long time.

Back