Snub nose CCW guys.......

I've got a 1957 Colt Cobra... six shots, and a GREAT trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I don't carry any extra ammo. The odds of needing more than 5 shots are extremely remote. And I've got six, as mentioned...

If you believe that you should cover those odds anyway and carry extra ammo... well...

...:)

The odds of you failing to stop a perp because you didn't get time to reload are going to overwhelm you, so if you're playing the "gotta have a reload" odds, you better just get a Glock 9mm, preferably loaded with 15 or more 115 grain JHP Corbons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right? Of course I'm right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif The only problem with being right is that wrong people often like to argue with you anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

Trashcan, my intention is to encourage people to get out and practice with what ever kind of pistol you have.

I carried a model 60 for 12 years in my convience stores in Orange County Ca. Thank goodness I never had to fire them.

I never carried speed loaders of any kind, just loose bullets in my pocket. If multiple perps had rushed me, I'd be dead before I could reload.

I've carried a Taurus model 85 for the last ten years and shoot it a lot. Popped a crow, a few jacks, 1 coyote and a few ground squirrels with it. The yote was a very lucky shot and had to follow a blood trail almost an hour to find it! Sorry to get off subject...never have carried any reloads with me. I love that little gun!

Until I retired I carried either a Glock 21 (my uniform duty pistol) a Glock 27 40S&W or a Ruger SP 101 357 every day. The reason I used differant handguns was that where I live weather changes are extreme usually so clothing changes drasticly at differant times of the year. No Matter what handgun I had with me I ALWAYS carried a full reload either a loaded magazine or a speed loader/speed strip or two. They are no harder to hide than the handgun. And it is always better to have it, and not need it , than to need it and not have it. That is the same phlosophy, behind CCW 98% of the people who go to the time and training to get licensed will never need to use the handgun they carry, but the 2% who do will be in a life and death situation.
According to your logic, no body needs anything more than a single shot, or at most a two barrel derringer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I agree with blinddog: carry enough ammo for at least one complete reload.

IF you have to shoot in self defense, you will want to reload or top-off the pistol/revolver. The bad guy(s) may have friends to come back and make trouble. Or, a previously unseen badguy may rise-up to "make trouble".

In the black powder cartridge days, people always carried extra ammo on belt loops or ammo loops on the holster.

In the black powder era before metalic cartridges, people carried the components to reload revolvers and rifles.

Speed strips and speed loaders are more organized and easier to reload from than loose cartridges when your hands may be shaking from post-shooting excitement. Also, the speed strip/speed loader is much faster if you have to load with one hand (other hand/arm/shoulder "damaged").

I carry a Glock 19 when my clothes will conceal it or an S&W 60-9 2"(.357) when in shorts and tee shirt (one magazine or speed loader always with me). By the way, this is one of the most accurate revolvers I have ever owned; it is amazing.

So nice to be in America where we have a choice. So, to each his own: carry extra cartridges or not. For me: I would rather carry a gun for self-defense and daily find that I didn't need it (and the same with my reload).

Best wishes,

Karl in Phoenix

PS: Whether you carry a Bianchi Speed Strip or an HKS or other speed loader, practice, practice, practice using your equipment.

Back