Snake Gun Shotshell Unofficial Comparison

Originally Posted By: Mike B
1st ?? 1st - if a rifled slug bbl is longer than 18" (or maybe 16" since it would now be considered a rifle), it is now a "rifle".

Do you have a citation for that?
I believe the exemption from being a destructive device is that it is a "sporting shotgun" (although there are also exemptions for "sporting rifles").
If you have a shotgun with a barrel less than 18" it becomes a "short barreled shotgun" subject to NFA.
That's my understanding.

None of the shotgun makers that supply rifled barrels, make barrels shorter than 18" - t o do so would be to invite the wrath of god...

... small "g" for now - big "G" if Omaby gets re-elected!

I just got off the phone with the local ATF branch who returned my call after they contacted the Firearms Technology Division.

Buying a rifled slug gun goes on the 4473 as a shotgun. It is considered a sporting shotgun, exempt from NFA. As a non-NFA shotgun, there is an 18" minimum barrel requirement. Anything less and it becomes an NFA firearm.

I'll let the rest of you get back on topic.

[/quote]They have the right, because we elected azzholes that gave them the right.[/quote]

Not meaning to hijack the thread, hopefully we can depose the chief azzhole soon. Don

Originally Posted By: im4flightHow do the .45 shotshells cycle in your 1911's?

I have shot several rounds and never had a jam or one not cycle. They are expensive though.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66I just got off the phone with the local ATF branch who returned my call after they contacted the Firearms Technology Division.

Buying a rifled slug gun goes on the 4473 as a shotgun. It is considered a sporting shotgun, exempt from NFA. As a non-NFA shotgun, there is an 18" minimum barrel requirement. Anything less and it becomes an NFA firearm.

I'll let the rest of you get back on topic.

Ok, thanks, that at least makes sense. They did attempt some sanity on that one! Especially since a 12 ga is larger than 50 caliber!

I seem to recall shooting some shot in my 1911 a few times just for the fun of it and as I recall the groups at close range were pretty tight. I did not have any failures to eject, but if I recall correctly (this was a LONG time ago) I did have one or two that did not chamber correctly. Now, this is BEFORE I had some work done to the pistol, adjusted the slide (was sloppy on the new pistol, something that pizzed me a little) and eventually replaced the barrel. After that process, I don't think I ever attempted to shoot those types of cartridges in the gun. Mayhaps it is time to do a little experimentation again...?

Back on the subject, seems there are more copperheads this year than I have ever seen.

I hate these things. I'll probably have snake nightmares all night.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

I hate these things. I'll probably have snake nightmares all night.

Don't forget to check under the bed.
grin.gif

Not sure where the skin went on this one, (maybe a hat band) but it's definatly my favorite kind of snake.
HalloweenGooles.jpg

Ha ha. You know Repete, last night as I went to bed, I could almost feel a sting to my ankle. No doubt one was under the bed. I didn't waste any time getting in. LOL.

We've had 4 Diamondbacks within 1/4 mile of the house in the last 3 weeks. That's more than all of last year, (at least as far as I could see), Have 1 in the freezer for skinning but the rest went for turtle food. I bet they love to see me coming with dinner once in awhile. But it has cut my night hunting out for a bit until it gets cooler. The cotton is getting high and 2 have come from it so there's not too many places I feel comfortable kneeling on the ground in the dark.

I still have a trailer frame waiting for me to build a portable blind on. Have plans for an enclosed lower portion with a platform setup on top for nights I want elevation.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Ha ha. You know Repete, last night as I went to bed, I could almost feel a sting to my ankle. No doubt one was under the bed. I didn't waste any time getting in. LOL.

I know the feeling.
Had a fire on the mountain above my place a few years back. I swear, every Rattler on that mountain converged around my house for about a month. Even had one of my dogs get bit.
After a while I just knew they were under the bed too, but I was to skeerd to look.
laugh.gif

I just bought some snake shot for my 22Mag (the only handgun I own) to take along on a fly fishing trip on the Grand Ronde over in Oregon next week. Sure hope I don't have any data to add to the OP's test results when I get back.

Just thought I'd add a funny snake story from the other day.

I'm sitting in the house and the dogs start barking, not a normal bark but the bark they do when something outside is actually going on. I walk over to the side window and up the road about 150 yards in front of my mother-in-laws house I see a pickup with a trailer behind it on one side of the road in the shoulder and a compact car on the other side. There's somebody standing in the bed of the pickup grabbing everything he can and throwing it out in the road towards the other car.

Now I'm sitting here staring out the window wondering what the [beeep] is going on. At first I'm thinking he's throwing stuff at the other car. I can hear metal pipes banging off of the road and he just keeps dragging more stuff out and throwing it. After about 10 seconds of watching I knew that my mother-in-law wasn't home so I decided I'd better go up there and figure out what the deal was. About that time it sunk in that it was a snake so I went and grabbed the shotgun and headed out the door.

While I'm walking up there I guess he was out of ammo because he was picking the pipe etc out of the ditch and throwing it again but when he would throw he would jump back at least 5 feet! Funny stuff. I guess he didn't want anywhere near the snake as he was throwing from probably 15 feet away and with his rearward jump the accuracy couldn't be good.

By the time I got there it was one pissed off rattlesnake about 4 1/2' long in the middle of the road which I shot and ended the entertainment. The guy said he was driving by and tried to run over the snake but it pulled it's head back at the last moment and with the trailer he couldn't do any major corrections. At least he came back and tried to do something so we didn't have an unknown snake in the yard.

Back