Smaller binocular thoughts.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I say right off the bat, I'm not a binocular guy, never carried a pair hunting.but keep a set of 8 or 10.x.42s on the truck. We I took them out javelina hunting in a vortex chest pack, what a pain they were always in the way.

I'm thinking that binoculars are handy for this type of hunting but something smaller that fit in a belt pack would be handier for ME. Maybe something in the 8 x 30ish range...I would like to stay under $300.

You thoughts.

My Vortex 10x42 have served me well for at least 6 years. I have a 2.5" wide camera strap attached to them for carry. When glasses with them, they hang in front off my chest. When walking or shooting, I slide the around to my left side and they're out of the way. I don't care for a chest pack either. I find them always in the way.

In that mag and price range, I was going to recommend a Bushnell Legend. I have been pretty impressed with the one I bought as a backup to my Kahles. However, they only make it in a 42 mm objective, which is probably too big and heavy. So, I would next consider the Vortex Diamondback HD, available in 8x32 and 8x28 for less than $300.

I have the Vortex Crossfire HD 10x42 and the Vortex harness strap and carry mine with ease. I don’t use them at night of course, but they are across my chest if I’m archery hunting or turkey hunting. I’ll walk back to the truck to get them if I get down the trail without them, lol. They stay in my truck year round for use as well. Never once have I thought they were in the way.

Like many things in life, the question of which binoculars are best for you -- it depends. Large, medium or small binoculars can all have their positive and negative points. I will explain.

Before getting to your question about large, medium or small binoculars, a few general notes:

- Glass quality. In life, you get what you pay for. Higher quality glass gives you not just sharper images but also provides you better low light capabilities than would less expensive glass. There are several quality glass manufacturers out there; Japanese, European for example.
- Objective lens size. Objective lenses (the end piece of glass) can range in size from 22 to 56mm (diameter). Smaller diameter objective lenses weigh less but the smaller size means that your field of view will be narrower - meaning you can's see as much. On the other hand, larger objective lenses like the 56mm objective lenses offer better light gathering, a much wider field of view but to get these attributes you will be carrying a much larger and likely heavier set of binoculars. Many consider 42mm binos to be the perfect trade-off for most users.
- Power. Binoculars come in both adjustable and fixed power setting from 4 to 20 power. Right off the bat, adjustable power binoculars are generally heavier because of the mechanisms and amount of glass required for adjustable features. Low powered binoculars provide closer views but many times their power can cause undue shaking therefore tripods or other methods of steadying them may be necessary. Likewise, lower powered binoculars provide wider field of views but may not provide as much detail as more powerful models.
- Body materials. Materials can range from aluminum, magnesium, as well as plastic composites. Likewise some binoculars may have canvas or vinyl coverings.

At the end of the day, the user will need to do research and figure out what their budget is. Then the user would need to figure out the intended uses and environment the binos will be used in. Conditions include cold, wet, heat, altitude, as well as how often the user goes from cold to hot (increasing the chances of internal fogging). Likewise, a benchrest shooter is normally much less worried about weight and size of their optics than say a hunter who has to carry everything on their person - often for long distances up and down hills. Similarly, will the user be in wet and humid conditions? If yes, then the user needs to select water proof binos as opposed to water resistant ones. And one final note, related where we started this paragraph with - bino costs. If the shooter is spending tens of thousands on the hunt of a life time then that user would need to consider getting the best optics possible -- because optic failure on the hunt of a life time isn't the best way to make memories of a lifetime.

In closing, do your research, figure out what's best for you and based on these variances - make the decision that best suits your lifestyle and limitations.

And, yes, like much in life - akin to your selection of binos .....it depends.

Have fun.

Looking at a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 set. .after looking at reviews on birding sights they get pretty high marks in the.sub $500 range. They are smaller, lighter and have a large clear fov. Any experiences with these?

Looking at a Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 set. .after looking at reviews on birding sights they get pretty high marks in the.sub $500 range. They are smaller, lighter and have a large clear fov. Any experiences with these?
Vortex, like Leupold, have good products and great warranties / repair policies. I shoot allot and many friends speak highly of Vortex products. You mentioned 8 X 32....if the money will swing it, try and get the 10X42s. These work great for me. And I concur with your thoughts on HD glass.

My only Vortex experience is with a low-level scope for a .17 HMR and a rangefinder. Both work well for the price and have met expectations. I would give another Vortex product a try if the performance and cost met my criteria.

I've not had a good experience with vortex scopes. While I won the egg shoot with a Vortex scope it's image was not very good the only thing that saved that scope is that it has the perfect size dot for killing eggs. Both of the same model with ballistic plex reticles went down the road. I have an inexpensive Weaver 40-44 4-16x44 on one of my 22s that is sharper and clearer than those vortex vipers.

I am a little apprehensive about the vortex binos thus the question.

I do believe I'm going to give them a try, but purchase them from someone with a strong return policy.

Last edited:
AWS,

I use the Leupold BX4 Pro Guide 8x32 binoculars.

The glass is fantastic. Price was around $450 though.

I really like the smaller profile, and lighter weight of the 8x32.

I don't feel limited at all when i look through them.

Last edited:
I have been carrying a pr of Bushnell 6x25 since the early 70's. The claim is that they went with Armstrong to the moon. 10x42 Leupold's ride in the vehicle. Can't help ya on any newer stuff but almost never go to the woods w/o. Have saved countless miles of walking.

If small and portable is what you're looking for you might want to check out the Vortex Vanquish series. I have a pair that I carry specifically when I don't want to wear a chest rig or don't want to be weighed down by my optics. They are less than $200 and are not bad glass for that price.

However, when it comes to Javelina hunting you would be better served by something tripod mounted and much bigger than 8x32.

As stated I already have a 10x42 set but find them too large for hiking and using a rifle the way and where I hunt. Our country here is quite flat with mesquite and greasewood. I just need something for those occasional places I get some elevation. I also have a tripod mounted large spotting scope if needed.

I have hunted AZ and understand where larger binos are advantages there.

I have a pair of Nikon 8x42 ATB thar are awesome. Have had them for a good 15 plus years. Very clear and bright. It would be nice to get something smaller. They do get in the way on my chest rig at times. I just get use to them.

Last edited:
while hunting timber and property with short shots I like a smaller set that slides in a shirt pocket. However, when hunting out West with extreme distance I use mid size 10x42 Leupold's with the shoulder/chest harness. The harness keeps the bino's snug against my chest, won't flop around, and minimizes bulk.

Guess it all depends on your eyes and what you’re trying to identify.
I want to know if I spot a flock of turkeys or individuals that it’s a gobbler I’m looking at before moving on them. There’s nothing worse than spotting what you think are 3 gobblers together and spending an hour or two maneuvering on them to realize they’re just jakes.
When deer hunting with a rifle, I want to make sure that doe is in fact a doe especially when you’re not the shooter. When archery hunting, I’m looking over that buck long before he steps in the clear. We generally know which buck we’re going after and which one we want to shoot, but if an unknown shows up I want to look him over real good.
10x42’s do that for me. I’ve tried those pocket optics and I might as well flip a coin whether to stalk or shoot, lol. I really miss the days I could tell with just my vision!!

Ordered yesterday and arrived this morning. I like them, they should do exactly what I want. I took them out and focussed them, would have no problem finding a jackrabbit under the mesquite a couple hundred yards away. I sat and looked at a lot of things, street signs, highway signs, mountains in the distance, and scanned the mesquite thicket across the way. I'm well satisfied with them. They are surprisingly very solid feeling, at the price I expected them to feel cheaper.

Dr apt tomorrow and some fish to smoke in the afternoon. Will get out hunting on Friday and next week, I leave the weekends for the working guys.

I'll take a pic alongside my 8x42s after lunch.

PXL_20240320_190219348.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got them out hunting. I bought a Leupold small belt pouch for them and wear them on my left hip much like a holster there, they stay out of the way but still handy. I can sit on my calling stool without them being in the way. The only con is being lighter they were a little harder to hold steady but it didn't take long to get more comfortable with them. I'm still impressed with the clarity and the 400+ foot FOV.

Back