slugs for coyote

mbaysinger89

I have some hunting ground that the landowner will only allow me to hunt with a shotgun, but can't seem to get them into shotgun range closer to 100-150 yards. I'm kind of thinking about getting a slug barrel for my shotgun. I'm not too worried about saving fur. Any thoughts, opinions, or experience would be appreciated.

I definitely plan on it if I end up thinking its a good idea. I do not want to tick any land owner off. Asking more about if they're accurate and effective enough at that range as I've never shot a slug.

You can get him closer, id use no 4 buckshot or that hevi shot stuff everyone loves. Use the money you would use on a barrel and buy those shells. Pattern it and then still have money left over.

I suppose you have a pump or automatic shot gun which (from my experience) adding a slug barrel will get you coyote accurate out to 100 yards if it's a good shotgun. Bolt action shotguns are supposed to be a lot more accurate - out to 200 yards. Savage and Browning are the only two I know of. I'm planning on getting a Savage 20 gauge bolt action for about 500.00 next fall. Of course you'll need a good scope as well.

Originally Posted By: flyI suppose you have a pump or automatic shot gun which (from my experience) adding a slug barrel will get you coyote accurate out to 100 yards if it's a good shotgun. Bolt action shotguns are supposed to be a lot more accurate - out to 200 yards. Savage and Browning are the only two I know of. I'm planning on getting a Savage 20 gauge bolt action for about 500.00 next fall. Of course you'll need a good scope as well.

There are others, and they can gets pricey tambien.

Chupa

If you want some serious long range accuracy with a shotgun w/o spending a ton of $$$ get a 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. They run around $250-$275 (got mine on sale for $229) and it will shoot accurately out to 200 yards (and beyond) with the right slugs. Put a decent scope on it and you'll have a nice rig. Mine will shoot 3-shot 1" groups @ 100 yards using the Remington AccuTips. It's just a single shot but with it's accuracy that doesn't bother me a bit, one shot, one kill. A slug would drop a coyote DRT with a decent shot placement I'm sure.

2013-11-10161407_zps52c2cc22.jpg

I shot a nice 10 pt buck back in December @ just over 200 yards.
thumbup1.gif

Back