Sitka took care of me...

So, ended up replacing the zipper myself. It wasn't that hard. I've never used a sewing machine before, but decided to learn. Got on the wife's machine, read the manual, spent a few hours on youtube and felt like I could pull it off.

Spent $8 for a heavy duty metal YKK zipper, and $5 for a seam ripper and spool of thread. The zipper, I didn't actually weigh anything, but holding the new zipper in one hand and the coat in the other, I swear the new zipper weighs at least half as much as the whole coat. But, hopefully, it will last a long time.

Doesn't look too bad in this picture. But up close, you can sure tell I did it :ROFLMAO: . But it's on there solid as heck and 100% functional and I'm actually quite pleased with my repair.

thumbnail_IMG_1384.jpg

- DAA

So, ended up replacing the zipper myself. It wasn't that hard. I've never used a sewing machine before, but decided to learn. Got on the wife's machine, read the manual, spent a few hours on youtube and felt like I could pull it off.

Spent $8 for a heavy duty metal YKK zipper, and $5 for a seam ripper and spool of thread. The zipper, I didn't actually weigh anything, but holding the new zipper in one hand and the coat in the other, I swear the new zipper weighs at least half as much as the whole coat. But, hopefully, it will last a long time.

Doesn't look too bad in this picture. But up close, you can sure tell I did it :ROFLMAO: . But it's on there solid as heck and 100% functional and I'm actually quite pleased with my repair.

View attachment 5860

- DAA
a zipper that beefy gives me a slight chubby. it ain't never going bad now. for what its worth kuiu pissed me off by charging me extra for different sizes on gifts for myself my family has bought me and stuff I have bought for my kids. so I avoid them these days. sitka did recently send me some free patch repairs for my synthetic version of that coat

Now that's a zipper. I know they try to keep weight to a minimum, but their zippers are the weak link.

I’ve actually been disappointed in Kuiu lately as well seems like there quality has slipped some. I ended up getting a couple Sitka Coats this year. The Boreal and the Incinerator they are very warm and I love the Goretex…..

Good Hunting Chad

Now that's a zipper. I know they try to keep weight to a minimum, but their zippers are the weak link.

Definitely the weak link. I've had every zipper on every piece of Sitka I've owned crap out. Not that big of a deal when they were replacing the items. And I'm not even against paying for a repair. Just, not that much, for a zipper.

- DAA

I’ve actually been disappointed in Kuiu lately as well seems like there quality has slipped some. I ended up getting a couple Sitka Coats this year. The Boreal and the Incinerator they are very warm and I love the Goretex…..

Good Hunting Chad

Good to see you Chad!

- DAA

Utahcaller, yeah, maybe the Bean counters are running Kuiu Now.?
we kinda have the same over here, a brand that used to be made in New Zealand, and now you know where!! Their quality has dropped, the packs are getting a cheaper feel to them. I don’t even look at their clothing anymore.!!
in the long run it’s cheaper to spend more up front.
Jay

They can afford to replace everything when it’s made in third world countries, lol. They’re probably making 300% profit with every sale.

Back