Sightmark Wraith 4K max vs 2-16 HD?

Dultimatpredator

I just sent my photon in for warranty and I’m gonna get it replaced with an HD 2 x 16 at no charge. I asked if I could upgrade to the 4K max which is $100 more retail. I started doing some research on it and it sounds like they have internal rechargeable batteries versus sticking in AA’s with the HD version. Sounds like the internal batteries last longer to? I read some reviews on YouTube and it sounds like there was some issues with The 4K max not holding zero? Also wondering because it’s an internal battery that when you’re done and out of a charge if you’re stuck with quitting hunting and going back home to charge up? Also with an internal battery when they go bad, are you able to replace them yourself or does it have to be sent in? Just wondering if I should upgrade to the 4K for 100 bucks or stick with the HD version? I started reading some reviews as well, but said that the 4K is a little bit more finicky to get to see crisp to adjust. Just wondering if they came down in price a few hundred dollars because they were having issues with them? I think they used to be about $300 more than the HDS’s?

When SM introduced their thermal, I'm sure that cut into the NV sales. I have a 2-16, my buddy the 4-32. I run thermal now, shoot the 2-16 more during the day or where POSITIVE ID is absolutely required. Both units we can run an external battery. I just run mine of rechargeable lithium, usually. I did use(external pack) for a couple hrs shooting/recording prairie dogs on my 204R. Only issue was the factory mount, one screw would not hold torque(20 inch/pd). I found a qd base, no zero shift anymore.

That’s what I read on a bunch of reviews to the factory amount is less than desirable. I haven’t heard back from them since last week, and I would assume they have my optic by now. Figure I’m not gonna bug them and see if my 4K shows up or if they email me with a bill first. Sightmark has been A1 so far. Sounds like I’ll need to get some type of extended amount for the base for my bolt guns. I bought a cheap aftermarket base off of Amazon a week or so ago that converts my rimfire to a picatinny with an extended rail. Looks las long as the bolt gun rail they sell.

I see the 4K minis have come way down in price too. The 2 x 16 4K mini is 509 on Amazon right from site Mark. I see they take two CR two batteries versus a built-in, one with the big 4K version. Looks like an $87 difference from an HD to a 4K and 132 difference to the mini. I got an email saying they received my optic this morning and they’re inspecting it. Since they haven’t contacted me about billing or that they’re sending me a replacement site yet. I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the 2-16 4K mini for another 50 bucks? I definitely would want to get an extra power pack for that one though since it doesn’t have internal charging and it sounds like the two CR2 batteries last about half the length of the internal battery pack on the bigger version.

just watched a video saying that the minis are basically set up for AR only? Also, you’d have to set up a separate Picatinny rail on a rifle to the illuminator. I’m guessing I’ll stick with the regular 4K max since I wanna run it on bolt, guns and air rifles.

Last edited:
I just got a message from Selmark that they’re sending me the 4K max with no up charge! So I figure I’m not gonna bug them and ask if I can pay an extra 50 bucks for the mini. Everything I read is they’re basically the exact same resolution other than the mini is meant for AR use and I would get a wide field of view. It would’ve been nice to have a smaller and lighter version in a 2 x 16 but then I would be buying a CR2 battery charger right off the bat and figuring a way to mount the IR on my bolt guns.

That's great. Let us know how it turns out.

As for battries.... I try not to buy anything that doesn't run off of rechargeable 18650 or equivalent batteries. Why companies still use the coin batteries baffles me.

I also still have a UNV-201R IR illuminator I bought way back when I bought the original Photon XT. It came with a charger and two rechargeable batteries which I believe are equivalent to two CR 132 batteries of I remember. One is still in the plastic blister pack. Figure I can run it with the illuminator it came with And see if it extends the range?

The illuminator on my old ATN uses two cr123's so I replaced them with a single rechargeable 18650 and it works just fine. The only thing that may be different is a flat top vs a non-flat top.

Orbtronic is what I use. They are protected and from Japan.

A while back I bought some Hixon AA's for my old Primos call and they are dang good batteries as well. I don't know if they make a 18650 or not.

Also keep in mind that a lot of these newer higher voltage batteries need high voltage chargers.

I had the 4k Mini and I couldn’t see 350 Legend bullet holes @ 100yds no matter what I did with the focus. I also found the 1 shot zero to be problematic and not precise at all. Scope also did not hold zero and became very erratic after the latest firmware update. I sent it down the road.

Back