Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope

If I am just using the onboard IR that came with the Photon, will removing the lens cap insert to make the hole 22mm still help with the graininess/focus issue or does it only work if you are running an external IR source. I assume the insert will need to be replaced for daytime use?

Originally Posted By: JPKOriginally Posted By: Powerstroke99DoubleUp, I have had my Photon XT for about 2 weeks. After reading your post, I checked my lense cover and it does not appear as though it has an insert that will pop out to make the 22 mm opening. How did you go about ordering the lense cover you got from Sight Mark? I couldn't find anything on their website-- do you have a part number? Also, it appears that the lense cover ring is permanently attached to the scope, so I take it you just change out the cover?

Thanks, PS99

Powerstroke99,

I will take a photo of the lens cover on my Photon later today and you can compare with mine. I wasn't sure the center was removable and it took a little leap of faith to push on it hard enough to get the center to pop out.

If I hadn't had DoubleUP and 6mm 06's tip I wouldn't have known that the center might be removable.

FWIW, last night's planned program with the Photon at my hunting club didn't happen. I took way longer to install windows in the deer tower we were finishing up than planned, and we finished right at sundown. We were in the tower with our caretaker; the rifles, Photon, etc, were across the way and rather than grab everything and rush to get set up the three of us took a break to watch the sunset. Since it was a Sunday and my son was pooped we headed home so he could get some rest before school today.

JPK

Thanks, that would be helpful. I contacted Sight Mark today an they are sending me 2 lense covers-- the original one and the newer version. So I will be more comfortable being a bit more forceful.

Took my daughter pig hunting tonight and she took 3 with the Photon. These were her first hogs ever. Said she loved using the scope. We hunt over some hog tubes that are illuminated by a couple cheap solar powered landscape lights. The lighting is so dim it is very hard to get a shot with a normal scope. The Photon works perfect under these conditions. 6 confirmed kills in a week, but I suspect I hit a couple more that I never found.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThat's great powerstroke. Sounds like your daughter can shoot pretty good to me.

Yes, she is a good shot, but did get a little lucky. The large sow she shot first fell on top of 2 of the smaller pigs. As they were struggling to get free she shot them. I couldn't really see anything but a little movement. After about 5 shots I told her if she stopped shooting, maybe some of the smaller ones might come back to the sow and she might get more than one. She said with a big grin on her face, "Daddy, I already got 3!" I was surprised to say the least. On the way to get the truck, she said "Today was a really, really good day!" it sure was-- one I will remember forever!

Congrats to your daughter, Powerstroke.

Lights at a feeder / bait site work very well. There are infrared lights available too that even work good with Gen 1 scopes.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: JPKOriginally Posted By: Powerstroke99DoubleUp, I have had my Photon XT for about 2 weeks. After reading your post, I checked my lense cover and it does not appear as though it has an insert that will pop out to make the 22 mm opening. How did you go about ordering the lense cover you got from Sight Mark? I couldn't find anything on their website-- do you have a part number? Also, it appears that the lense cover ring is permanently attached to the scope, so I take it you just change out the cover?

Thanks, PS99

Powerstroke99,

I will take a photo of the lens cover on my Photon later today and you can compare with mine. I wasn't sure the center was removable and it took a little leap of faith to push on it hard enough to get the center to pop out.

If I hadn't had DoubleUP and 6mm 06's tip I wouldn't have known that the center might be removable.

FWIW, last night's planned program with the Photon at my hunting club didn't happen. I took way longer to install windows in the deer tower we were finishing up than planned, and we finished right at sundown. We were in the tower with our caretaker; the rifles, Photon, etc, were across the way and rather than grab everything and rush to get set up the three of us took a break to watch the sunset. Since it was a Sunday and my son was pooped we headed home so he could get some rest before school today.

JPK

JPK, no need to post photos unless you want to for other Photon XT users. I figured it out. I just wasn't pushing the inner circle hard enough from the outside toward the inside. It is snug but pushes right out! Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI haven't tried it with the onboard IR, so don't know. Yes, for daytime use the insert would need to be replaced.

Well, I'll try to get the insert out of mine and see how it does with the onboard IR this weekend and report back. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Power stroke,

Glad you got it out, sorry I was remiss with the photos, got busy with another project.

Congrats to you and your daughter for a great ans memorable hunt together! The hunts with our kids are the best hunts!

I will take and post photos for others, hopefully tonight.

JPK

Wade, I'm going calling in about an hour. If my old mind can remember it, I'll try the onboard IR with the 22mm hole.

This post is a little confusing. Are you guys saying that the unit performs better at night with the lens cap in place with the 22mm filter removed from the lens cap ? I would think it would perform better at night with the lens cap removed entirely so you would have the entire 42mm front objective gathering light for you rather than a 22mm hole with the rest covered. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, yes, the cap with the 22mm hole (which is close to 7/8") is used at night. Though I haven't tried the scope at night with the 22mm cap in place, to my understanding it helps with clarity. The Photon is so light-sensitive that using the cap with the 22mm hole cuts down on the amount of light entering the scope and gives a more focused view. I sold the scope to DoubleUp before I learned of that. As you know, my main beef with the Photon all along has been lack of good focus / clarity.

A guy from the UK or maybe Scotland told me about using a Butler Creek cap with the 22mm hole cut in it, stating that helped give better clarity and less graininess. I passed the info on to DoubleUp and he tried it and it worked well. Then later, when he received the newly designed lens cap that new Photon owners were to receive, low and behold it had roughly a 22mm hole, so apparently the company learned something too. The new cap has an insert over the 22mm hole that can be removed for shooting at night, or replaced for daytime shooting. According to DoubleUp, when the cap is flipped open totally exposing the scope lens, it can be used for ambient light, like on a full moon.

I'm sure DoubleUp will give more detail later, maybe after his hunt tonight.

I haven't tried it yet, but my understanding is that when using an IR illuminated, you will get a less grainy more clear picture with the lense cap closed with a 22 mm hole in it. If using ambient light, lense cap all the way open. I can tell a big difference in clarity with the lense cap open between ambient light and using the IR.

Wade, the onboard IR will not work with the 22mm hole in the lens cap. It doesn't put out enough light to work that way.

Kevin, what 6mm06 has said is correct. The approx. 22mm hole cuts down on the graininess caused by the IR and just as the small hole in the regular cover for daytime use always keeps the focus sharp, at night the smaller aperture makes the focus and clarity sharper with IR lighting like the T-20. I'm generally using 50% power on the t-20, but within about 60-70 yds. the 15% setting works very well especially if weeds and such are sticking up and reflecting the IR back.

Thanks doubleup. I guess I will try to purchase an external IR divice soon. I saw a T20 Evola IR illuminator on amazon for a pretty decent price and may give that a try. I only shoot 100 yd or so in the dark so the onboard IR is ok, but would like the ability to see further.

Over due post of photo of the pop out center of the new style lens cover removed, it pops out from exterior to interior of the cover:

Here is a photo of the center piece returned to it's place. You can see the pin hole for daytime shooting:

Sorry to be so late, hope the photos help someone.

JPK

I bought my Photon XT second hand about a month ago and the lens cover with the pop out center came with it, so they have been shipping with the new cover for a bit at least.

I understand you can call Sightmark and they will send you the new lens cover, don't know that for fact though.

Edit: I think DoubleUp called and they sent him the new lens cover, hopefully he will confirm that.

JPK

Last edited:
Back