Sierra 55gr GameKing

Ackleyman your knowledg on reloading is amazing. Thanks for contributing on this board. For you newer reloaders pull his post up and read them. Time well spent. Rick

A Sierra Bullet is a hard one to beat for whatever application you are using the for. They just flat out work great. May not be the best bullet out there, but in my opinion, they are the best for what ever you want to do.
They are accurate and terminal and hold together very well.

I have several bullets that I favor in several round, but if I had to choose just 1 bullet for all it would be a Sierra in any caliber.

Just my opinion and mine alone,

Tony

The 55 GKHP, Lake City Brass, CCI primers and 27.5 grains of Varget shoot fantastic in the 3 .223's I have shot them out of. The only problem is getting all that powder in the case. You have to poor it in slowly and be careful not to spill any when moving to seat the bullet.

Does it hold together? I use the .224 HP 55 gr sierra to hunt deer and only take head and neck shots.....it's like hitting them in the head with a hammer.....they drop where they are even with a neck shot.
Do you get a pass through with the .224 55 gr Sierra SBT?
The HP doesn't pass through the neck....it explodes. I have yet to shoot a deer with the SBT.

I get 1/2 inch groups with either bullet.
IMR 4064, 25.7 gr, 2.23 oal, CCI SR primer, RP brass.
The amazing thing is the gun is a PAR 3 - 5.56, century AK (Pump action rifle=PAR....a CA version of the regular Romanian AK)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cugir321Does it hold together?
Do you get a pass through with the .224 55 gr Sierra SBT?

Usually, no pass throughs, though with a broadside shot it does happen.

Quite an old post to resurrect, lol.

Edited to add: Welcome!

Last edited:
The Sierra 55 gr HPBT #1390 is my ALL-TIME favorite varmint bullet out of my 220 Swift and I have been shooting the mighty Swift since the late 70's and have tried a lot of different bullets over the years.
While I don't shoot it overly hot, only about 3870 fps, it is highly accurate and hammers the critters with no fur damage if I hit them center mass.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullThe Sierra 55 gr HPBT #1390 is my ALL-TIME favorite varmint bullet out of my 220 Swift and I have been shooting the mighty Swift since the late 70's and have tried a lot of different bullets over the years.
While I don't shoot it overly hot, only about 3870 fps, it is highly accurate and hammers the critters with no fur damage if I hit them center mass.

I have yet to shoot a coyote with them, but I use a healthy dose of Varget in my 1:14" twist CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar .22-250.

They shoot amazing out of this rifle, but I haven't shot a coyote with it. Every time I take the rifle, which is heavy, my son ends up shooting the coyote. Not a problem, it's good luck I guess.

WyoBull got me on these bullets because of all the success he has with them in his swift. I may even try them out of my .22-250 Ackley.

the sierra 1365 is a pretty beefy bullet as far as 22 caliber bullets go in that weight class. it has a pretty thick jacket. its a great bullet for coyotes pushed at high speeds from a 22-250 or swift. IMO its going to be too hard to be a great killer when the speed is lowered to AR 15 speeds and especially so when shooting them from a shorter barreled one.

the sierra 1330 is pretty much the same bullet but in 50 grains. it should be worth a bit more speed, though. it really depends on the usage of the bullets, sierra as a brand is generally in my top 2 favorites and their bullets are right up there with consistency.

Back