Show us your Shotguns for Predators

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: Scrumbag

I see a lot of you guys like number 4 buck. Any reason over T shot?

Scrummy

For me, Cost is the main reason and the cheaper Remington green box stuff has had great terminal results and patterns well in my gun.

Well, if it works and is cost effective, we like!!

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Scrumbag

Scrummy

For lead, I like F over T or #4B. Better pellet count than #4B, but still plenty of penetration for as far as a pattern will hold, much better penetration than T.

On paper I thought T looked pretty good, but I wasn't super impressed with it in the field. The nickel plated F hammers coyote though.

But I use hevishot BB more often than lead.

- DAA

I do like heavy shot for duck and geese, maybe I should try it out on my Vulpine buddies...

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagNice Shotty LARUE!

Do you like th T1?

Love the T1

It’s really good for night use because the first 5 or so brightness settings are for night vision and not visible without NV, so the first 2-3 visible brightness settings are very dim and perfect for night.

I’ve used a few other red-dots and they don’t turn down low enough at night, the dot brightness ends up washing out the whole optic.

Mossberg 935 shooting 3.5" DC T shot, I'd rather shoot buckshot but I can't in Mass.
Sightmark reflex sight on top. I'll try to get a picture posted when I get out of work

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterMossberg 935 shooting 3.5" DC T shot, I'd rather shoot buckshot but I can't in Mass.
Sightmark reflex sight on top. I'll try to get a picture posted when I get out of work

How do you find the Mossberg 935? I wouldn't mind a 3.5" autoloader. MAxus and the 935 come to mind but the 935 isn't so common here.

How have you found it?

Scrummy

I love mossbergs, I know most people hate them but not this guy
thumbup1.gif

I have a 835 slug gun for deer, an 835 for goose and the 935 for predators. I don't have any gripes or regrets with any of them.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterI love mossbergs, I know most people hate them but not this guy
thumbup1.gif

I have a 835 slug gun for deer, an 835 for goose and the 935 for predators. I don't have any gripes or regrets with any of them.

Great stuff. If you look up Hushpower in the UK they make Mossberg 500s in 410, 20 and 12b with a long moderator. Pretty cool!

Glad you like them, a mate of mine has a 500 which is his truck gun, bullet proof and he loves it. You rarely see the semis or the 3.5" (535 or 835) here.

I reckon something as light as 535 with a hefty 3.5" magnum load might be a bit of a handful though!

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagOriginally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterI love mossbergs, I know most people hate them but not this guy
thumbup1.gif

Great stuff. If you look up Hushpower in the UK they make Mossberg 500s in 410, 20 and 12b with a long moderator. Pretty cool!

Glad you like them, a mate of mine has a 500 which is his truck gun, bullet proof and he loves it. You rarely see the semis or the 3.5" (535 or 835) here.

I reckon something as light as 535 with a hefty 3.5" magnum load might be a bit of a handful though!
You won't see me standing in that line to try it!
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Scrumbag

Scrummy

As far as I know there is no ammo manufacturers that make any lead loads between sizes BB and Number 4 buckshot.

It sure would be nice if coyote hunters had a choice of factory loads in lead BBB or lead "T" shot to shoot coyotes with. Just going up to lead BBB shot over lead BB shot would give you about 8 to 10 yards more range penetration wise.

A 3" 12 ga 1-1/2 oz load of BBB shot would have about 24 more pellets per shell over the 3" 1-7/8 oz load of number 4 buckshot.

A 3" 12 ga 1-1/2 oz load of "T" shot would have about 15 more pellets per shell over the 3" 1-7/8 oz load of number 4 buckshot.

A 3" 12 ga 1-1/2 oz load of "TT" shot would have about 7 more pellets per shell over the 3" 1-7/8 oz load of number 4 buckshot.

If I could still use lead shot on coyotes I would rather shoot lead BBB, T or TT shot at coyotes instead of lead number 4 buckshot. I like a higher pellet count than you can get with number 4 buckshot.

Loads with 24 more pellets or 15 more pellets gives you a much better chance of putting a few more pellets into the vitals on a coyote.

With 1-7/8 oz lead number 4 buckshot loads with only 41 pellets per shell the pattern fails way before the number 4 buckshot pellets run out of penetration.

I use a Winchester SXP with a custom paint job, it can work in snow and forest. I shoot the Hornady Nickel Plated BB in 3" shells. They work extremely well. I have no issue reaching out to 40 yds with it.

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagOriginally Posted By: Bernie P.Mberg 835 with Weaver RD Reflex sight.For ammo I use both 3"BB and 3"#4 buck.After I use up the BB ammo I'm sticking to 4buck.

Hi Bernie, how do you find the 835? You don't hear a lot about them on this side of the pond.

Scrummy
Took some doing to find the right choke for buckshot but excellent patterns with all other loads.Recoil was a bit stiff but a Kick Eze pad solved that.All in all pretty happy with it.Sometimes I do kinda wish I'd gone with Browning' BPS.That one always appealed to me.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Originally Posted By: ScrumbagOriginally Posted By: Bernie P.Mberg 835 with Weaver RD Reflex sight.For ammo I use both 3"BB and 3"#4 buck.After I use up the BB ammo I'm sticking to 4buck.

Hi Bernie, how do you find the 835? You don't hear a lot about them on this side of the pond.

Scrummy
Took some doing to find the right choke for buckshot but excellent patterns with all other loads.Recoil was a bit stiff but a Kick Eze pad solved that.All in all pretty happy with it.Sometimes I do kinda wish I'd gone with Browning' BPS.That one always appealed to me.

Yes I understand the "10 gauge" bore can be a bit interesting with the very large shot.

I have a 3" Chambered BPS and like it a lot though it's got nice wood work and relatively fancy engraving so I don't take it out as much as I should. It is very smooth though and if I could find a 3.5" stalker or plastic cammo'd one I might be tempted. It's a very nice gun but it isn't as smooth as the 1955 Winchest M12 Heavy Duck with the 3" chambers I have...

Originally Posted By: Swaintrain23I use a Winchester SXP with a custom paint job, it can work in snow and forest. I shoot the Hornady Nickel Plated BB in 3" shells. They work extremely well. I have no issue reaching out to 40 yds with it.

I was very tempted by and SXP when looking around for my 3.5" pump just found I shot a bit better with the supernova. Am intrigued by the paint job!

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagLoving the scatter guns folks! Keep them coming!

So, what loads do you carry?

Scrummy

Hornady Magnum Coyote 3” BB followed up with a Federal Vital Shock 3” 41 pellet copper plated lead #4 buckshot.

Smoked a skunk Saturday night with a round of the BB when it came wandering in to close to us on stand. Instant death = no stinky spray.

Mossberg 3 1/2" 12ga, #4 Buck, with a fast fire sight, and padded raised cheekpad, (holy good gawd that helps). This is a kill'n SOB.

kG6hqfsl.jpg

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagHello folks,

Anyone use a shotgun when hunting foxes and yotes?

Interested in how people set theirs up.
What will probably be my go to is a Benelli Supernova 12b, 24" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and a Burris Speedbead and Fastfire III (3MOA Dot). Also has a Nordic Extension Tube which is mainly from shooting Practical Shotgun as well.

Scrummy

I have the same rig minus the speedbead. Also have a 24" M2 & an 20" 870 magpulled out.

CoyoteJunki, that's a sweet rig!

You like the FastFire too eh? I must admit my Supernova is that old the receiver isn't even slotted for optics mounts, hence going for the Speedbead. Have the spacer in the speed bead as I tend to have my head a little high when I mount the gun. I should get the shims out and fix so have a natural cheek weld - must stop being lazy...

Scrummy

Originally Posted By: Treerat-sniperOriginally Posted By: ScrumbagHello folks,

Anyone use a shotgun when hunting foxes and yotes?

Interested in how people set theirs up.
What will probably be my go to is a Benelli Supernova 12b, 24" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and a Burris Speedbead and Fastfire III (3MOA Dot). Also has a Nordic Extension Tube which is mainly from shooting Practical Shotgun as well.

Scrummy

I have the same rig minus the speedbead. Also have a 24" M2 & an 20" 870 magpulled out.

You sir, are clearly a man of taste, sophistication and good sense: So why the 870 and the MAGPUL?!? 😉

- Only joking buddy, sounds like 3 very sweet rigs!

870 is the truck gun per chance with that short barrel and LOP?

Back