Shotgun for coyotes and deer ?

s&w686

Don't really know much about shotguns. I'm thinking I "need" to add a shotgun to my safe and would use this for coyotes and deer. Currently don't hunt deer but might start. I like the pistol style grip.

What shotgun would you recommend for my use?

well i use a mossberg 500!

you can change barrels on them from slug gun to regualr 24 and 28 inch barrels for turkey,pheasent,qual and coyote!

or you can use a rifled slug and shoot that from your smooth bore! it has accu choke for you to try different patterns from your shotgun! you can buy one new for about 250

I've never shot a coyote with a shotgun, but I did kill 5 deer this year with one.

I had killed a couple with a shotgun before, years ago, but I was never a fan.

I got a kill permit for a local property late this summer and hid in a barn and used my Winchester 1300 to blast 5 different does as they walked into the landowner's garden. All 5 dropped dead as a sack of potatoes.

Needless to say I'm a pretty big fan of buckshot now. I still prefer a bow or rifle, but it'll definitely do the trick.

i never shot a coyote with one but i called in a gray fox last year and put him down at a lil over 30 yards with my mossberg!

Does the Mossberg 930 have a smooth bore or rifled bore? Looks pretty much what I have in mind, barrel is a little longer than I was wishing for.

I think a 24" barrel is pretty sweet... Short enough to swing around and long enough to keep good patters at longer ranges.

It is smoothbore but (IMHO) I wouldnt let that turn you away. In my experience rifled slugs can be plenty accurate for deer. There is also always the rifled choke tube if you wanted to go that route.

i have the 28 inch barrel, i hope to get the 24 incher soon because that extra 4 inches makes a world of difference as far as movement!

Originally Posted By: s&w686Sounds like the mossberg 500 is getting some votes, how does it compare to the Remington 870?
s&w686,
I have a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel and it's in full camo. I like the full camo and synthetic stocks, as it is very low maintenance. I've had it for about 5 years and purchased it from a MC Sporting Goods for $294, out the door.
thumbup1.gif
All I need to do for this shotgun is purchase a cantalever rifled barrel for it and I'm set for deer hunting. This type of barrel is around $140, new.

I recommend the Mossberg over the Remington, due to the finish on the Express models and all the stamped parts which can cause some serious problems with the shotgun. I'm speaking from experience, as a previous owner of several Remington shotguns. In a pump action Remington, get the Wingmaster, NOT the Express.

Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

^Im not saying that anything you just said is in any way not true.. but just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with the express? The 870 express is the only shotgun I currently own an the first one I ever got. Ive never handled a Wingmaster so im just curious what the difference is..

My express has never given me even the slightest problem but I sure have heard a lot of bad things about em over the last coupe days... what gives?!?!

have had an Rem 870 for years w/ 26" feild barrel and a smoothbore 20" rifle sighted barrel
its a go to gun for whateVer - never had any issues
my brothers have Mossbergs never any issiues both great guns
....will always have my 870sp close@hand

I have four Remington 870's and have never had a single issue with any of them. One has several thousand shots down the tube and a lot of those were 3" duck loads. Another is a turkey only gun and it has had numerous 3-1/2" shells shot through it. Of all guns ever produced the 870 would be in the top 10 of most lists. The Mossberg is a good gun for a great price but to say a 870 is not is laughable.

Get whichever feels best to you and has the options you like for the best price. Either will last a lifetime and much more with proper care.

Love my 930 w/ the 24" turkey barrel for coyotes. Then when deer season hits I just swap it out for a fully rifle cantilever barrel w/ scope for deer.

Get one with the regular smooth bore and choke tubes. Buy a turkey choke for your coyote loads and a rifled choke tube for deer slugs and you have all your need in one gun.

They don't make the Winchester model 1300 anymore but there are plenty of good used ones if you look around. The deer / turkey model comes tapped for scope mounts.

I have shot Remington 870's for years. I think the older ones were better quality.

I am also another person that will only shoot an remington 870. they are great guns. yes they cost more than a mossberg but i would rather own a remington than a mossberg. i have put over 1000 rds through mine and never had a problem. i also have the 20 slug barrel too.

my gpa is still shooting his 870 it is one that was made the first year they came out he shot a doe on monday with it, you will never have a problem finding aftermarket accesories for it either also they tend to hold their value more than a mossberg does

A remington 870 is a good all around gun. I had one for a few years as my only shotgun.

A pistol grip is good on a coyote stand. Its probably ok for deer too. The gun will be useless for any sort of wingshooting or clay targets so for an all around gun I don't recomend it.

If you are not into shotguns well then they kick like a mule. I recomend a winchester sx3 composite. More money but alot less kick then an 870. It will allow you to practice more and hopefully you won't develope a flinch. Plus it has shims for drop,cast, and LOP to help the gun fit you better. If the 870 doesn't fit you well you are SOL. If a shotgun doesn't fit then you won't hit and or the recoil will beat the heck out of you.

Remember that a wingmaster is about 3/4lb lighter then the express model. I'd get the wingmaster.

Back