Shot placement qestion for 243 shooters

Cool story...... wanna explain what’s would be hot enough and moving fast enough to bounce 10-12ft high?

Again think what you want it failed 5 outta of 5 times for me.

WHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing-------------------We callers that I know here in the U.P. OF MI use NBT 55gr in our 243's and never had that happen that I know of and our big coyotes weight in the 40 plus pound range-that object that's flying sure looks larger than a jacket to me but who knows ---Glad your having good success with the 70gr--may try that myself

Originally Posted By: SVBWHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing-------------------We callers that I know here in the U.P. OF MI use NBT 55gr in our 243's and never had that happen that I know of and our big coyotes weight in the 40 plus pound range-that object that's flying sure looks larger than a jacket to me but who knows ---Glad your having good success with the 70gr--may try that myself

It's thermal so depending on how hot the object is vs the background it can look much larger than its actual size. If you watch the full screen you can see the object coming back down to earth is leaving a heat "trail" in the air.

If they work for you... Cool. Had a friend of mine that told me they worked for him "for YEARS", not 3 weeks later he had multiple runners never to be found on facing shots. He now shoots 65grn Vmaxs......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06x6spdGTOCool story...... wanna explain what’s would be hot enough and moving fast enough to bounce 10-12ft high?

Little chunk of coyote.

I have very little experience using thermal but have seen similar. I shot a small fox once looked like a brief Roman candle in the thermal. Lots of little chunks just like that flying just as far but in lots of directions all at once.

Besides, jackets don’t bounce off fur they stick in it. Seen that many times.

- DAA

Thanks for posting the video. One thing is for sure, nothing surprises me with the 6x6.8 barrels. Afterall I had two bad ones in a row. Also nothing surprises me with thermal and "difficult accuracy".

But, this guy is pulling our leg. I mean, come on. Bullet jackets bouncing off coyotes? On thermal video? Bwahahaha! This is right up there with some of the old 17hmr threads and the 100 yard shotgun patterns. Thanks for the laugh! Funniest thing on PM in a while.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThanks for posting the video. One thing is for sure, nothing surprises me with the 6x6.8 barrels. Afterall I had two bad ones in a row. Also nothing surprises me with thermal and "difficult accuracy".

But, this guy is pulling our leg. I mean, come on. Bullet jackets bouncing off coyotes? On thermal video? Bwahahaha! This is right up there with some of the old 17hmr threads and the 100 yard shotgun patterns. Thanks for the laugh! Funniest thing on PM in a while.

FWIW the 6x6.8 is a 6DTI Shilen Select Match. Same barrel launches the 70s just fine and doesn’t have a problem putting them down.

Great to see your video prove it wrong?
One things for sure, I’ll keep to myself in future to avoid “O’Doyle Rules” a$$holes like yourself in this forum. Next you can tell everyone .223 .40gr Vmaxs anchor Northern 40lbs dogs on 400+ yds shots too.

I thought the blowing chunks 12ft high off coyotes on 120yd facing shots, yet they run off was comical myself.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
It is absolutely not the bullet or jacket bouncing off. Evidently the OP hasn't done much thermal hunting. I can show you many videos where that happens and it is pieces that are blown in the air off the coyote. Here is one example to prove his theory is wrong. I can provide many more if this one doesn't persuade. Notice around the 2:00 mark on the video in slow motion and you will see the piece of coyote coming falling back to earth.

Originally Posted By: 06x6spdGTOFWIW the 6x6.8 is a 6DTI Shilen Select Match. Same barrel launches the 70s just fine and doesn’t have a problem putting them down.

Great to see your video prove it wrong?
One things for sure, I’ll keep to myself in future to avoid “O’Doyle Rules” a$$holes like yourself in this forum. Next you can tell everyone .223 .40gr Vmaxs anchor Northern 40lbs dogs on 400+ yds shots too.

I thought the blowing chunks 12ft high off coyotes on 120yd facing shots, yet they run off was comical myself.

Happy shooting.

Your video description says it was a 6x6.8spc but now it's a Shilen 6DTI? Interesting.
Quote:"Watch to the right side of the coyote. You can see the jacket of the bullet bounce off with thermal. Coyote was maybe 120 yds. 55 grain .243cal Nosler Ballistic tip load is 3600fps from a 6x6.8spc. Tracked this dog for over 1/4 mile. Never retrieved. Lost 4 outta 5 in this same fashion over 1 weekend".

I wonder what this looks like on thermal? Rock chuck head 100-ish yards.
50354107998_409fb317fa_c.jpg

Guy. I shot 5 with 6mm 55grn Noslers BTs. 4 outta the 5 were runners. Went to spin cycle, with no retrieval after tracking well over 500yds.

The 1 that was retrieved from a 6mm 55 NBT dislocated both front shoulders. The bullet knocked her down and didn’t kill her. The wound down her chest resembled a fillet knife from the center of the chest down to between her legs.

If you want to run those bullets go for it!

Really I don’t care if you think the hot spot is a piece of asteroid. The fact remains on a facing shot 5 outta 5 wouldn’t DRT. But suddenly switching to the 70grain bullet solved all of those problems from 2 years ago.....

I have plenty of videos to prove the 70s have had great success.

Last edited:
The ultimate splash wound. It splashed so bad, the jacket bounced off and flew 15 feet up in the air! Never did I ever think I'd see somebody for real try to argue their bullet bounced off a coyote. And caught it on video.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThe ultimate splash wound. It splashed so bad, the jacket bounced off and flew 15 feet up in the air! Never did I ever think I'd see somebody for real try to argue their bullet bounced off a coyote. And caught it on video.
thumbup1.gif

Reading comprehension is Tuff! No wonder why you troll here 2700+ post. I’m sure 75% are arguing about something for that PM keyboard warrior trophy.

O’Doyle Rules

Last edited:
To the OP, Sir you were the one who claimed your bullet bounced off of a coyote. It is not a matter of trolling you, but simply that you were wrong. I suppose it is possible you had a batch of bad bullets, but when experienced hunters tell you they have killed hundreds and maybe even thousands of coyotes with the same bullet, then the problem is not that the bullet is too fragile for taking coyotes.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpTo the OP, Sir you were the one who claimed your bullet bounced off of a coyote. It is not a matter of trolling you, but simply that you were wrong. I suppose it is possible you had a batch of bad bullets, but when experienced hunters tell you they have killed hundreds and maybe even thousands of coyotes with the same bullet, then the problem is not that the bullet is too fragile for taking coyotes.

1. Didn’t say the entire bullet bounced off, maybe separated jacket and complete bullet get confusing here?
2. I’m not the Original Poster
3. Didn’t know hunting experience was proven by post count on a forum
4. There are plenty of others that have had similar problems http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...1949&page=1
5. When Nosler themself let’s you talk to a bulletsmith over the phone and he tells you he wouldn’t use the 55NBT for front facing coyotes and to go to the 70 NBT in .243 caliber. I listened

For the 10th time. If they work for you great. They didn’t work for me, but I can see posting my results with them hasn’t set well with the high post crowd. Keep in mind I tracked the dog In the video I posted. I didn’t find any big chunks or really any pieces of the coyote, Just some deformed smashed out copper and spots of blood for 400+ yds.

I find it hilarious those trying to discredit the use of the heavier bullet with the same manufacturing process, to tout the lighter bullet as a more effective choice on front facing song dogs. It’s literally the only thing I changed in my case and the weekend I did runners suddenly stopped! Go from 5 over a weekend to 0 in over 2 years.

Like I said a good friend of mine swore by the 55 NBT also. Told me it was shot placement and all his coyotes over the last 2 years were dead. Wasn’t 3 weeks after my luck, he gets 3 runners using them. He’s been using 65 Vmaxs since and it hasn’t happened again.

I’ll leave it with this... You do you, I’ll do what works for me, your not. changing my mind to go back to any .243 call bullet under 60grains for coyotes

Originally Posted By: 06x6spdGTO
I find it hilarious those trying to discredit the use of the heavier bullet with the same manufacturing process, to tout the lighter bullet as a more effective choice on front facing song dogs.

actually i didn't see anybody doing that^^^^ maybe your reading comprehension is not that great?

again, what everybody is saying is what you saw fly up in the air was not the bullet or bullet jacket.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 06x6spdGTO
I find it hilarious those trying to discredit the use of the heavier bullet with the same manufacturing process, to tout the lighter bullet as a more effective choice on front facing song dogs.

actually i didn't see anybody doing that^^^^ maybe your reading comprehension is not that great?

again, what everybody is saying is what you saw fly up in the air was not the bullet or bullet jacket.

Okay so it’s a piece of coyote......
Why did it run away? Why did the bullet remove a Chunk of coyote at 120 yds on a facing shot but all I could find is a wad of copper and blood?

Why didn’t the coyote die? Did the bullet open so quickly it blew a piece 10+ft In the air and the end result was the dog on video running away? What changed to go from losing 4 outta 5 to suddenly not losing 1 the next 2 years?

Why would Nosler tell me, after watching that video, don’t run the 55 NBT run the 70? To the point of trading me boxes of 55s for boxes of 70s.

Last edited:
Well Sir, I have no idea how many coyotes the "bullet smith" has shot if any. I'm not trying to get you to go back to lighter bullets, and I think the Nosler 70 BT is a great bullet. That's why I have about 700 of them myself.

What I am telling you is that you were mistaken about the bullet jacket bouncing off the coyote. It was a piece of the coyote, and it happens a lot when viewing and recording thermal.

You didn't recover the jacket or the coyote, so the only evidence of your claim is the grainy thermal video. Using the only evidence you have, the video, how would you be able to differentiate if that white hot object was the jacket, the lead, or coyote tissue that flew up? Would a flying chunk of hot 6mm 55gr jacket or lead even show up at all on thermal from 100 yards? What would it look like compared to a chunk of coyote tissue?

Originally Posted By: 06x6spdGTOOkay so it’s a piece of coyote......
Why did it run away? Why did the bullet remove a Chunk of coyote at 120 yds on a facing shot but all I could find is a wad of copper and blood?

Why didn’t the coyote die? Did the bullet open so quickly it blew a piece 10+ft In the air and the end result was the dog on video running away? What changed to go from losing 4 outta 5 to suddenly not losing 1 the next 2 years? The chances are extremely high that it was just a bad shot. Why? Poor shot placement/aiming, poor accuracy, poor sight picture with pixilated thermal graphics, electronic optics that can alter your zero day to day or hour by hour, difficulty with thermal in obtaining a precise zero to begin with, darkness. Need more reasons?

Originally Posted By: 06x6spdGTOWhy would Nosler tell me, after watching that video, don’t run the 55 NBT run the 70? To the point of trading me boxes of 55s for boxes of 70s. Because whatever you're doing, it's not working (see above) so he recommended you use something else. Easier than trying to argue with someone who sincerely believes the jacket "bounced off" a coyote and can be seen flying 15 feet up into the air on thermal video. It's not worth arguing with the incorrect customer, just make him happy and move on. I do not believe he actually agreed with you that the jacket can be seen bouncing off a coyote. He instead probably said you'd be better off with a heavier more solid bullet.

99% chance that was a chunk of tissue flying in the air, not the jacket. It's POSSIBLE but highly unlikely, and you haven't provided any evidence that shows it was actually the jacket. You didn't recover the jacket or the coyote, so your conclusion is just your guess. All you have is poor quality video that seems to obviously show a bouncing reticle and flying chunk of flesh.

A fast, thin jacketed varmint bullet, that is designed for "violent expansion", does not simply shed it's jacket and the jacket remains fully intact or largely intact and bounces off the outside of a coyote as you described. A fragment of the jacket sure, or a fragment of lead sure. The whole jacket or most of it NO WAY.

Back