Short stroking. !!!!UPDATE!!!!

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I know what it should look like, the gas leaking was a dead give away when i pulled the gas block. swapped lowers so I know its not the Buffer spring, sealing up the gas key didnt help. Pulled the gas block off it measures .754 top to bottom. .004 too dam big.

What does the barrel measure?

Greg

Here is the one on my 7.62X39 that was short stroking. 16" carbine. Text book ring but no go.

when you pull the charging handle, does the bolt move nice and smooth? can you see any wear marks inside the upper or on the bolt in places they shouldn't be?

im just wondering if something in the upper might be out of spec or tweaked. entirely plausible, especially if the barrel nut required a bit more unf than usual to get the tube hole lined up.

again - just thinking out loud of possibilities.

Bolt runs fairly smooth. Gas key engages the tube perfectly no rubbing, bolt engages lugs fine. The barrel nut lined up around 50ft lbs.

Ordered a midwest industries steel gas block. This junk aluminum one might get used on some type of wild type build down the road.

if it does turn out that its the block and a simple swap fixes it, i'd toss the problem child in the round file and give it up for dead permanently.

just my $0.02 usd

With the new gas block it runs 100%. Locks back every time, ejects at 3:30, brass flys out 6-7', instead of 3-4', ejection feels stronger shooting it. I hope this was more of an informative post for newbs to the black gun.

good deal - glad its running right for you now.

now toss that other gas block where it belongs - right in the round file!
smile.gif

Yes, this is a good lesson for some readers. I already learned it. I purchased a cheap(UTG IIRC) railed gas block, from a retailer(on-line order) that does a bunch of gun shows. I had signs of leakage around the block, that looked a lot like the OP's. I called the vendor, and said they would refund/credit on another, and ship anything I chose at no cost...But I couldn't get another gas block like the one I ordered, because I was not the only one to have this issue, and this vendor was no longer dealing with that supplier. So the moral of my story is buy gas blocks carefully. They may look simple, but when they aren't machined properly, turn into a more complex problem. Today most of mine are Wilson Combat lo-pros, which are light weight, hide in skinny tubes, and have yet to be the cause of under gassing.

Squeeze

Back