shooting in the wind

wyshadow

How much is to much wind? I've been trying to develop a load for my .223 and to test my loads, I went out this morning to beat the wind. Unfortunately, the wind started to pick up(10 to 15 mph and gusting to 20 mph). Im only testing my loads out to 50 yards for now so I thought the wind won't make much of a difference to my group size or will it? The bullet is traveling a lot faster then the wind but can the wind still affect the bullet even though its only going 50 yards?
I was only able to shot two groups because the wind kept blowing over my target stand. At what distance will any kind of speed of wind not effect a bullet traveling over 2000 fps not have an effect?

The wind will always have some effect on your bullets. At 50yds probably not to much. I've shot some pretty good groups with the wind about to rip my targets off the back board but the wind does effect your bullets. Just me, but I don't think groups at 50yds are going to tell you much. JMO!

Last edited:
With the gun I have, 50 yards is where I'm going zero it. The gun is not that accurate and will be my 100 yards and under gun. Mostly used to plink with

Wind effects different bullets differently. The amount changes based on BC and the angularity of the wind to the bullet. A quick check of a table will give you a figure for a full value wind at a given range. JBM is a good one to use given velocity and BC. It can be adjusted for various angles of wind. The calculations can be done using trig functions if you know full value. Wind at 6 and 12 o'clock have virtually no effect on windage.

Short of a gale 50 yards doesn't get impacted much with most certerfires. Well, maybe a bit less than a gale...lol

Greg

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTrig!!! I can barely balance my check book.

When I teach you learn that given the gun and shooter is up to it if you can put the math on the gun there's nothing you can't hit. The trig works for angle shooting also.

Greg

PS: The secret? A cheat sheet of percentages taped to the stock or a good memory. Fast and furious and boy do you look good hitting targets scattered all over the place.

Originally Posted By: wyshadowHow much is to much wind? I've been trying to develop a load for my .223 and to test my loads, I went out this morning to beat the wind. Unfortunately, the wind started to pick up(10 to 15 mph and gusting to 20 mph). Im only testing my loads out to 50 yards for now so I thought the wind won't make much of a difference to my group size or will it? The bullet is traveling a lot faster then the wind but can the wind still affect the bullet even though its only going 50 yards?
I was only able to shot two groups because the wind kept blowing over my target stand. At what distance will any kind of speed of wind not effect a bullet traveling over 2000 fps not have an effect?

I find that pressing the muzzle against the target gives excellent group size, no wind effect.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterFive shots tend to really open the group though.

Greg

And 1 shot groups tend to tighten up the agg. Just say'n.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: GLShooterFive shots tend to really open the group though.

Greg

And 1 shot groups tend to tighten up the agg. Just say'n.

A proper sized ink pen is much quieter. (VBG)

Greg

Was out shooting this morning with almost zero wind. For comparative purposes I measured my group with the wind to the group with no wind. As far as I can tell, there was almost no change in group size but my point of impact was different. There was one group that was slightly better with the wind. I found that interesting for a 50 yard zero. I was testing out the 53 gr sierra match bullets.

How much difference was POI? What firearm, what scope? Could be scope, could be shooter, could be the difference in a clean cold barrel as to one thats fouled out. I still think testing wind at 50yds isn't gonna tell you much, unless its a hurricane force wind. Then it might.

I second POI wasn't that far off from the first POI. At most maybe .5 inch for the furthest group. Most were just under but for only 50 yards, any kind of change in POI is puzzling.

Wind will always effect your target regardless of bullet speed.

An old BR shooter once told me that targets are nothing more than weather reports.

Originally Posted By: RePeteAn old BR shooter once told me that targets are nothing more than weather reports.

a target is normally more accurate than a meteorologist also.

Originally Posted By: RePeteWind will always effect your target regardless of bullet speed.

Agreed, but I don't think its as noticeable at 50yds as at 100-200yds. Unless its a rimfire then all bets are off.

You said the wind was blowing your target over the first time. If your target was moving you cannot compare that to groups or POI shot onto a target that was still. Wind may not have caused any drift of the bullet but it had an affect on your target.

Back