Scratches on barrel

I have a stainless steel barrel that has a few light scratches on it. I really don't know how they got there but they are there. I must have had some grit on my cleaning rag when I wiped it down the other day. I am wondering if there is a way to get them out. When I drag a finger nail over them, they do not catch so they are not real deep. I also noticed that if I rub my finger nail with some pressure on the barrel that it will leave a mark so I need to be really careful with this rifle. I would appreciate any help on this one.

All my rifles have dings and scratches.
I don't think you can help it if you use them.
Just putting them in and taking them out of the safe
will ding them up.

Last edited:
Check your local appliance store's /they probably sell a few stainless cleaners & polish for the stainless things they sell.

I wouldnt use steel wool, you might embed steel in the stainless. Iv done it before cleaning up stainless pipe after tig welding. Maybe try some automitove wax, you dont want a lot of cutting action.

If it is brushed stainless, the green scotch brite pads work well. For bright stainless Flitz works very good. A bead blasted finish will have to be bead blasted in order to match.

Originally Posted By: rth1959rthIf it is brushed stainless, the green scotch brite pads work well. For bright stainless Flitz works very good. A bead blasted finish will have to be bead blasted in order to match.

I've always used one of the green scotch bright pads or 0000 steel wool. Works great and makes my barrels look like new again, even on bright ss. The key is to put the gun in a vise or rest and then use a shoe shine motion (w/ steel wool) and light pressure. Just don't do it on a blasted or matte finish ss.

Greetings,

My first member post...Flitz will work if you want a polished area where you rub...depends on the original finish. Steel wool bigger than 0000, or light rub with scotch brite pad may be the best.

One of the worst culprits for a SS finish is propping your rifle against a strand of wire on a fence to cross over. That oxidized wire is the dickens for putting scratches on SS...seems not as bad on blue..

Just my O2 worth.

bomtek44

I think I have 1 stainless barrel that has 0 marks on it. It's never been out of the box
laugh.gif

Is the rifle for using or just looking at? If it's for using, then use it and don't worry about scratches on the barrel.

if i only knew what a rifle with out scratches looked like.....

serious now... i would just shoot it with some flat tan or olive krylon and youll never no the scratches are there...
wink.gif

Last edited:
I guess I should have added that it is a bench rifle and way to heavy to carry in the woods. If it was a hunting rifle, I would not care one bit. Just trying to keep new things looking "new".

If I had a bench gun, I too would like to keep it nice looking.

Didn't mean to give you a bad time.

I have a Remington 700 that my boy fell with, messed up the stock and

put deep scratches on the scope.

Made me feel sick, the gun still wears the scars.

Now they just remind me of a great time I had with my son.

wisconsinteacher,,,,Try the Flitz with the polishing wheel on a Dremel tool at slow speeds...I have a SS 1911 that I loaned to another shooter to finish a match and he, accidentally or intentionally, allowed the slide to rest against a steel frame barricade during recoil..Scratches were noticeable,, but not deep and I was able to buff them out....While the photo is not the best photography for seeing the results, the slide does not look overly shiny and matches the left side of the slide..

After getting the scratches out, I used an old "T"-shirt, some Flitz, and a lot of elbow grease to remover any traces of the buffing wheel...

Originally Posted By: RhinoriderIt's hard to find but you can get 0000 stainless wool.

Google it, it's available on Amazon and E-Bay and other locations.

Last edited:
Back