Scopes: 40mm vs 50mm for spotlighting

DiRTY DOG

Does anyone have hands on experience with 40mm vs 50mm scope objectives for spotlighting at night? Does a larger objective make a noticable difference for typical 100 yard shots? Or is it just bigger/heavier?

Never used a 50mm on a hunting rifle, so no comparison to make, but did use a lot of 40's and usually had no problems out to 100 even w/red light.
ETA: Did have some difficulty occasionally making positive ID beyond 100, especially if critter was in tall grass or foliage.

Well, it's kinda comparing apples to oranges, but comparing a 40 Nikon I took off my main calling rifle that was replaced with a 50 Zeiss I could tell a definite difference in very low light conditions. Here again as was said above ... the quality of the glass likely played a big part in that.

Last edited:
🍎🍊;) As you stated, I'd bet a 40mm Zeiss would be an improvement but I'm sure the combination of 50 + glass would make a real difference. You might have to wear sun glasses on a cloudy day. :ROFLMAO: (How 'bout them new emojis!?)

Joking aside, I just never thought I could get used to the larger scopes. Guess they're a lot smaller than the thermals, etc., though and I'd be glad to get used to one of those.

Back