Savage BMag anyone?

I have one and love it. I did however put a Boyds stock on it, the factory stocks are junk. Mine is a standard barrel and shoots great. The best grouping rounds through mine are the American Eagle 20 grainers.

You hear a lot of bad comments on them. I have nothing bad to say about the one I have. It is one of my favorite rifles.. In addition, everything I have shot has died. Coyotes, fox and coons have all fell victim to the b-mag.

I looked at Stainless Heavy Barrel yesterday at Dicks Sporting Goods, lets say i left with a 93R17 BV instead...no mail in rebate on the Bmag either.

i'd love a WSM if like others have said - if everything i read about the BMAG wasnt saying bad things.

i just recently picked up a A17 to replace my 93r17. i've wanted a safe semi-auto 17hmr for a long time. the factory stock was awful so i ordered up a boyds and its great.

initial testing cycled flawlessly, although accuracy results werent spectacular - but i was bucking 15-25mph winds blowing from 7 oclock -> 2 oclock and swirling between the birms down at target boards. in those kinds of conditions i'll take ~2 moa anytime out of something that light.

mine seems to like the older 2550 ammo better than the new A17 2650 stuff. time will see if i can find a better lot number of it though. i've got a couple good lots of older 17hmr stashed up that need testing in this gun yet.

one thing i'm hoping for - someone to release a BX25 style mag for this gun. that was one of the best things i think ruger has done for the 10-22 in a long time, hopefully savage will take note and do the same.

Originally Posted By: BurntmuchI got a hankering for a 17WSM. The Savage B Mag looks pretty reasonable. Anyone hear have one, any opinions.

I have one of the HB SS versions that came with the POS plastic stock. I ditched the plastic stock for a Boyd's Pro Varmint and had it bed. I run mine suppressed, when I had the barrel threaded I had two inches removed also. I've chronographed mine with the AE 20gr and it Avg. 2984 FPS with the shorter barrel. I'd highly recommend using a 1pc Weaver rail instead of the 2pc. it'll give a little extra strength to the action.

I put an older Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40AO scope on mine. The Bmag certainly has some oddities to it and IMO isn't the greatest designed gun I've ever owned but mine now shoots extremely well and is well under MOA at 100yds. I have a 17 HMR also and when comparing it to my 17 WSM, the WSM has much more pop on small critters than does my HMR.

I believe Michigan has those no centerfire areas and if I was looking for a rimfire that had more thump than a 22mag or 17HMR, the 17 WSM is what I'd get but I'd highly recommend getting the Savage Bmag Target version that comes with a much better stock versus the HB SS Bmag that comes with the POS plastic stock and if you get the one with the plastic stock, put a Boyd's on it.

I HAVE a Bmag and have USED it for hunting for three seasons now and love the gun. Mine is the skinny barrel version . I have bedded the action area and with the newer ammo it shoots great. I have killed around 80 coons , 3-4 wood chucks , 4 feral cats , and one big beaver with mine . Kills fast and no pass throughs with 20 grainers at close ranges 10 feet to 30 yards ( the distance for most coon calling ) and a few crows at 150 yards . It has a lot of hammer when it hits , blows up , and on center mass hits , no pass throughs . Don't graze your nice furbearer or you get a big deduction on price . Jim

I put a little weaver 2 by 7 on mine fully load with ammo and sling on it I don't think it weighs 6 pound! Mine is the light weight mod thin barrel

Originally Posted By: B23
I believe Michigan has those no centerfire areas and if I was looking for a rimfire that had more thump than a 22mag or 17HMR, the 17 WSM is what .

its not so much that we have no centerfire areas - its that night hunting is restricted to rimfire or shotgun with nothing bigger than i believe a TT sized shot - no buckshot or slugs type of situation.

the old no centerfire rules only applied to firearm deer season and even that had changed. we now have what is considered a restricted and unrestricted firearm deer zones. the restricted zones are limited to (some) pistol caliber carbines as the only centerfire rifle choice. the unlimited zone is exactly that.

the hunting restrictions for daytime use only apply to firearm deer. you always could - and can still - hunt with centerfire rifles for anything other than deer.

that may seem counter intuitive until you take into account that the two weeks of firearm deer season see's the massive jump into the woods that nothign else here does. so its a safety factor for those FUDD's who only get their gun out once a year to go pretend to be deerhunters.

the "sight in days" that all the ranges have in the couple weeks preceding deer season are downright scary. i wont even go to the range during those times if i have an option - and even then i'll try my damnest to get to my buddy's place or drive up to visit my family and shoot the private ranges there. Thankfully during those sight in days rules that are usually ignored by the RSO's the rest of the year are STRONGLY enforced. One local range only allows single loading during deer season sight in if that tells you anything of the kind of yahoo's who come out of the woodwork.

Originally Posted By: BurntmuchI got a hankering for a 17WSM. The Savage B Mag looks pretty reasonable. Anyone hear have one, any opinions.

This is a SS HB. It had the floppy factory stock on it, but that quickly changed to this Boyd's stock. I like mine a lot, the vermin around my meadow, not so much. In this picture, a male house sparrow killed the baby bluebirds in that bird house, in the background. The 17 WSM painted him on the bird house.
w00t.gif
That would be a house sparrow at 85 yards...No accuracy issues here.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Man you got the perfect setup right there! I could set there all day with my b mag and a cup coffee and have myself a good time!

Man that is a sweet looking rig. I think there is a 17wsm in my future. I looked at a couple Bmags. One used. The other was new. The new ones stock was a bit stiffer. I wonder if Savage thickened them up a bit. I already have a HMR, so no rush.

Originally Posted By: BurntmuchOh yeah how much more $$ did the SS heavy barrel cost?

I bought my HB SS w/POS plastic stock last spring for $335 and Savage had a $30 mail in rebate going at the time. I could have ordered one of the Bamg Target models, with the Lam. thumbhole stock, for $475 but I wanted one now and my HMR is the Lam. thumbhole stock version and I'm not a real big fan of it so I went with what I could get locally on the spot, then ordered the stock, 1pc rail, rings and all metal trigger guard from DIP Inc. and since they are a local company to my area I was able to have all my parts and pieces to take to my gunsmith within 24hrs of purchasing the rifle.

For anyone putting a Boyd's stock on their Bmag, I highly recommend getting the metal trigger guard from DIP Inc. to replace the sheety plastic trigger guard they come with.

Originally Posted By: BurntmuchThanks,
The ones I looked at had the plastic stock & pencil thin barrel . Price was $329. May have to shop around
Here's a HB SS for $340 and it includes free shipping to a FFL in your area.
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.c...ss-heavy-barrel

Cheapest I just found the sporter/skinny barrel version was $279+free shipping at the same place as the HB SS in the link above.

Here is a link to the best price I could find on the Bmag Target model ($445+$6 shipping) if you like the Laminated Boyds thumbhole stock. http://grabagun.com/savage-96972-bmag-17-wsm-22-grey.html

If you want the Ruger 77 17 WSM expect to pay almost double what the Bmag cost and they aren't without their issues too. http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.ruger...-stock-6-rounds

I paid $329 today for a Savage Mark II BV
and $349 Monday for the 93r17 BV. Plus i hax a $10off coupon so paid $339
..just couldnt swallow $399 for the SS BMag with plastic stock,knowi g id have to spend an additional $125+ for a boyds.
..i have a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12×40AO for the 17hmr, and a Simmons 8pt 3-9×40 for the .22lr

What are reasonable accuracy expectations from the B-Mag?

Also, what ammo is available? Anything with a tougher construted bullet, similar to the 20 gr. CCI Game Point?

The .17 WSM is interesting.

Squeeze, I like the looks of your outfit. How about a few more photos if you don't mind. I just like to see from different angles.

Back