savage axis junk?????

So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

i have a 22-250 in the axis and love it. good gun and shoots as good if not better than the high end guns..i love the stock. wish it was camo. but i love the stock. never have to worries about scratches or anything like that. and a good looking gun don't make it shoot no better

True that, shoots great even if its ugly, its like an ugly girl friend may not show her off to friends but she is reliable, good cook, and treats you right, really that's all that matters in the end

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

This statement always makes me laugh. I don't spend my money on things I feel are lacking in quality. This argument can easily be reversed;

"So, in other words, the only ones who seem to like them are those who feel they need to defend their purchase."

Originally Posted By: liliysdad Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

This statement always makes me laugh. I don't spend my money on things I feel are lacking in quality. This argument can easily be reversed;

"So, in other words, the only ones who seem to like them are those who feel they need to defend their purchase."

I haven't purchased one, but defend the Axis as an effective, inexpensive tool, that succeeds in functionality what some feel lacks in aesthetics. I am not sure I see the posts that state their Axis is accurate, as "defending their purchase". I think they are telling the OP that if accuracy is his objective, the Axis can deliver.

I have a fairly nice rifle in the safe that I have spent about $2k to get as is, but it doesn't shoot any better groups than one of my Savage 16s. So do I want to show the gun off, or shoot the darn thing? I think these folks are saying they just want a rifle that shoots itty bitty groups, and don't get hung up on pretty. You might be focused on pretty.
wink.gif

Squeeze

No, pretty doesnt factor into the equation, quality does. I dont make, or have, enough money to blow it on junk. When the pawn and gun shop racks are overflowing with quality used guns, I dont see a reason to waste money on cheaply made budget guns. The same goes for the mossberg rifles, the Remington 710 and 700s, and any other super budget offering.

If the gun works for you, then by all means drive on. I, personally, dont see the value in a gun that new, costs less than any scope I own. There is a reason they are cheap, and its not because they have discovered some magic formula no one else has.

Last edited:
Well, you wanted an Axis owners opinion, here is mine.

I bought one of the Axis .223 rifles when it was called the Edge. Still own it. Did the trigger job with a lighter spring and some careful honing to reduce its heavy trigger pull to something more acceptable. Of course, Savage now offers the Axis with an accro trigger. But then I know a number of my fellow range members who routinely replace the accro trigger in a new, much pricier Savage rifle, with a Jewell or Rifle Basix one.

Tried various things to stiffen the stock, especially in the wrist area of stock and the part of it under the rear of the receiver. None of which were satisfactory to me. As I do wood working, finally figured out how to make a stock for it. LOL, this solved my stock flex problem. Final words about the stock flex problem. Don't hunt, just shoot paper from benchrest. Think this made the flex in the wrist area more noticeable...could watch my crosshair climb on a 100 yd target maybe 3/4" when slowly pulling the trigger. As a typical hunter is not shooting from a benchrest and has a lower power hunting scope, he'd not notice the flex as much in his crosshair.

Never did anything to solve my Edge/Axis ejection problem. Unlike almost all my 25 plus bolt action rifles, if I pull back slowly on the bolt to eject a spent piece of brass, the brass will fall off the bolt face into the receiver. Have to tilt the rifle over and shake it out. Ejection port is too small to reach in with a finger to remove brass and you certainly cannot load a round thru the ejection port. Only if I give the bolt handle a hard jerk, will the brass leave the receiver and then it kinda dribbles out. All my other rifles would throw the brass quite a few feet with such a hard jerk on the bolt. Have a Marlin .223 X rifle with same style ejector system and have no such problem with it. Same is true for a Stevens 200 I own, but it is a larger cartridge rifle.

Final complaint I have about the Axis is the spacing on the Weaver style scope mounts on the receiver....too wide. When I first got the rifle discovered my best scope, a higher power Weaver Super Slam, was not long enough to mount without buying another type mount or extended rings for it. Had to put a longer body scope on it to shoot the rifle.

About the accuracy of my Edge/Axis. Out of the box, its accuracy was decent for me and my efforts with the rifle improved it. Shoot with a gent who owns a couple of Axis rifles Neither is a .223. He is quite satisfied with accuracy of his Axis. Guy is a serious reloader/shooter that has an impressive collection of various kinds of rifles from ARs to benchrest type. Guy documents every round he fires in one of his rifle and logs it into a computer program he wrote. If a rifle doesn't shoot well, he doesn't keep it.

Own a Marlin X .223 and it is certainly more accurate than my Edge/Axis, but then it is a heavy barrel and its adjustable factory trigger is much better. Oh, the plastic stock on the Marlin is nothing to brag about, but didn't have the flex problem I encounter with my Axis. Chuckle, made a stock for the Marlin too, that's more suitable for benchrest shooting. Shame the powers that be in Remington management has decided to cease making the Marlin X rifles, leaving only the Remington 770 and 783 as their lower priced rifles to sell.

I have not bought another Axis, or even considered buying another and I like buying inexpensive rifles to play with them.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadits not because they have discovered some magic formula no one else has.

maybe they have. they seem to be more accurate than some costing twice as much. are you defending the guns and scopes you have because you spent so much on them?

be real. a $250 axis with a $150 scope will work fine for predator hunters. it will likely still be around to be used by their kids and then their kids too. if shooting a coyote with a $1400 rifle and a $1600 scope makes it all worth it to you that is good. most of us don't need or want it.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

I tried really hard to like one. The wife was looking at a Muddy Girl 243 version. The sharp edges of the mag well, the flimsy mag it's self and the mold lines on the stock were and instant turn off. Cycling the bolt was another issue. It feels like a worn out, chineese ratchet. Very crude, to us. And after tuning and replacing triggers, only a 1.5# single stage will do. I am NOT a fan of the Accu-trigger. My one and only Accu-trigger was replaced by a Rifle Basix that is at my desired pull weight.

I do not feel the Axis is junk, as asked. Just feel it is too crude for my money. I am not saying it will not work, or does not shoot accurately. Just feel there are other options out there for my money.

Junk? No. High quality? No. Good entry level rifle? Yes. Decent to good accuracy? Yes.

Let's face it guys, the Savage Axis is what it is and I don't think it pretends to be anything other than that, which is a low priced entry level rifle good for beginners or as an "If it gets beat up, so what." extra rifle for others. At the very least, it IS a very cost effective tool.

Would I own one for myself. Probably not. Would I buy one for my son to use? Yes.

I just want to add this...........let's at least all respect each others choices and keep whackin' and stackin' no matter the weapon.
thumbup1.gif

I'm curious as I've never found an answer. What makes 1 black plastic stock ugly and another apparently not ugly? They all look the same to me, like a black plastic stock.

I know what made this ugly.

I made this ugly
laugh.gif

Bought my wife a Axis 11 22-250 for yotes and deer. This past weekend I was carrying it while she and my daughter were dragging my daughters first yote out. The sling came undone some how gun hit the road. Stock broke into right behind the action. Called Savage no problem new one in the mail just send broke one back. Really like the gun shoots .5" groups at 100yds.

On a side note she finished the day with my Model 10 predator max 204 and smoked her first yote at 240yds. Was so proud of my girls. One of my best days ever calling.

I have the Axis in .223 and .308. Both with Riflebasix triggers. At $267 from WalMart plus trigger there was a lot for glass. Excellent accuracy for not a lot of cash. I don't know how much folks are shooting that stock flexing is an issue, I've never noticed it and the accuracy doesn't reflect it.

I don't see the flex as a problem until you get into the .30-06 recoil level. My .243 shoots fine with the factory stock. I love its light weight, but I am considering a Boyds laminate. Decisions, decisions.

My Axis 223 is a tack driver, sure the stock is cheap and I am going to replace it with a Boyds soon. It shoots American Eagle 50 gr BT with unreal accuracy. No real complaints here.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

I tried really hard to like one. The wife was looking at a Muddy Girl 243 version. The sharp edges of the mag well, the flimsy mag it's self and the mold lines on the stock were and instant turn off. Cycling the bolt was another issue. It feels like a worn out, chineese ratchet. Very crude, to us. And after tuning and replacing triggers, only a 1.5# single stage will do. I am NOT a fan of the Accu-trigger. My one and only Accu-trigger was replaced by a Rifle Basix that is at my desired pull weight.

I do not feel the Axis is junk, as asked. Just feel it is too crude for my money. I am not saying it will not work, or does not shoot accurately. Just feel there are other options out there for my money.

Well after being used to all out customs it could indeed be a let down. But some shooters looking to get started may be thrilled with a $300 or less accurate rifle with a trigger/safety that has failed to kill anyone yet? I know that I would be.

I have never owned an Axis. I have sighted in a few for friends and family. Nothing wrong with the accuracy of the half dozen I've shot. Guns did feel somewhat cheesy as far as stock and bolt cycling were concerned. For the money I would look at a used standard Savage action or Remington 700. The axis will kill predators as well as anything, but one can't deny that certain things about them represent the price that they command.
Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357
pahntr760 said:
Orneryolfart357 said:
Well after being used to all out customs it could indeed be a let down. But some shooters looking to get started may be thrilled with a $300 or less accurate rifle with a trigger/safety that has failed to kill anyone yet? I know that I would be.

I think you have beaten that dead horse enough.... If you don't trust the Remington triggers don't shoot them. But don't piss and moan about them here every chance you get...

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then in other words.. the ones bashing them have never owned one?
smile.gif

Like I said, 'For Me' it is too crude. Also, the trigger/safety did not cause any death. A guy not adhering to basic firearm disciplines did. That and the lack of maintenance, and improperly adjusted trigger. I saw a news story with the rifle in question. It was a rusted and neglected display of foolishness. I feel bad for the family, loss of life is terrible. But had the rifle been pointed in a safe direction, not towards a group of people on the other side of a horse trailer, the boy would still be alive. But anything to continue your campaign, carry on.

Back