SAVAGE AXIS 223, 28 Jan 12 Range report pictures

eclipse71

FYI
Last Week end, as usual on winter season, went to the range.
I fired 18 rounds with my Savage Axis 223, on Three different target at 99 meter tip to target.
Sometimes its better, but what you see is the real average.
I fire 3 rounds on the top target, then 5 rnds on the center target, then 10 rounds on the bottom one.
Recipe is
IMR-4320; 27.1gr , Sierra Blitzking 50gr # 1450
3170 fps from the 22 inch tube.
COL: 2.260"
A+

Your one of the only people ever seen to post a complete range trip. Ususally it on zoomed in group...

Dang fine shooting rifle you got there too! Very impressive for that class rifle.

Want to sell it for what you got in it
lol.gif

I'd say you have her dialed in pretty good...That's some good shooting and it looks like you've found the sweet load for that barrel..

What the info on the scope?? It's impressive in all respects

I am seeing this kinda reviews from all the axis. Great shooters from all the reads. I was considering a venture or axis. The axis is really looking good for the under 300$ price tag with these kind of groups.

I haven't got those kind of results yet but my Axis is shooting 3/4 inch groups. I have only tried 55 and 53 gr V-Max's so far. I was pushing those with IMR 4064 and IMR 4895. I think I am going to try some Benchmark and the new CFE223 powders. I will do a range report for my Axis then.

Not to hijack but everyone thinks a person spends a lot of money on a high dollar rifle just to get good groups. That is hardly the case. For some a rifle is more than a tool. It has to feel a certain way, look a certain way, have certain features etc etc. not always "just to shoot good"

I am not at all surprised with those groups from that rifle. My Axis 223 is incredibly accurate too. Nice shooting. Rifles have come such a long way. Its all in the glass anymore that makes the accuracy that much better. And I see you got some good glass with what looks like a Nikon Buckmasters. I can almost here the Savage haters pucker factor, LOL.

Great shooting, It would be nice to see some groupings from a few factory loads just to see your gain from handloads.

Great group ! Here is a trick I use to help me get smaller Groups I use 2 pieces of blue Painters tape for a target in an L shape. Then I lay my crosshairs right at the edge of the tape and shoot. It helps me be in exactly the same place each time. It's harder to be in exactly the same spot with other targets . Plus it's very cheap!

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNot to hijack but everyone thinks a person spends a lot of money on a high dollar rifle just to get good groups. That is hardly the case. For some a rifle is more than a tool. It has to feel a certain way, look a certain way, have certain features etc etc. not always "just to shoot good"

Well it's the people that spend tons of money on the high dollar rifles that are the first to call BS when a $300 rifle shoots just as good or better! While I agree with you but lets be honest that the cheaper rifle owners aren't the ones calling BS all the time and wanting more groups then shot a different way so on and so on!

Originally Posted By: dmpowder
Well it's the people that spend tons of money on the high dollar rifles that are the first to call BS when a $300 rifle shoots just as good or better! While I agree with you but lets be honest that the cheaper rifle owners aren't the ones calling BS all the time and wanting more groups then shot a different way so on and so on!

I've got some nicer rifles & I got some cheaper rifles too. I would really like to have this paticular edge also
grin.gif
. I know I have been one those to doubt when someone post a great 3-5 shot group. Also note I was one of the first to say the OP has a jewel of a rifle there. He proved it with multiple groups, something few do (I believe even you promised me some targets I never got
wink.gif
)

It's not that there are not really accurate factory, mass produced, economy rifles out there; it's just that not ALL of them are. If you & I buy two Chevy pick-ups one may go 150K with just the oil changed, the other may have a new transmission, a blown headgasket & 3 diff computors put on it by the time it gets to 100K. Mass produced rifles are no different. There are good & there are bad. Anyone that thinks every savage edge out there will shoot like this one needs a reality check. (I will agree most do shoot VERY well for the cost)

Sorry to sideline the OP. Congrates again on your shooting & rifle.

These guns sure are shooters. Everyone seems to be posting that their guns are moa or better.

I have to agree part of it is the look, feel, balance, weight. I handled one of the edge or maybe it was axis and I didn't care for the feel or look. If it was a gun I pull the trigger once a year and carry just a few days a year at most like big game I think I could live with it so long as it shoots like this one! If its going to be something I carry all the time like a .223 jack rabbit and coyote getter It has to be just right or I will not be happy with it.

Its the CNC machining and computer aided design. People used to say if its moa that is really a good shooter. Now we expect moa from the cheapest of rifles!

Most of my rifles are more accurate than I am. I will probably shoot the same size group with a $300 gun as I would a $3,000 gun. Factory or custom.

Originally Posted By: mikeothmerGreat group ! Here is a trick I use to help me get smaller Groups I use 2 pieces of blue Painters tape for a target in an L shape. Then I lay my crosshairs right at the edge of the tape and shoot. It helps me be in exactly the same place each time. It's harder to be in exactly the same spot with other targets . Plus it's very cheap!

That is a great idea, I will certainly try that next time I am at the range.

Back