Saturday was a Two Dog Day!

204 AR

Saturday started out foggy with a thin layer of it frozen to my windshield, seemed like a perfect day for calling. Larry and I started out determined to call all day, as opposed to our usual 'till-noon outings. Stands 1,2, and 3 looked good but netted no results. We know numbers are down and a lack of tracks and scat in the cattle trails and along fences seemed to prove it. The mange has really hit hard in this area the last few years.

With confidence lagging we debated how to set up the next stand. The south breeze wasn't ideal for the area we wanted to try, but we did it anyway. We got set up so if they came from where we expected they would cross the FoxPro before they crossed our scent. Of course coyotes being as they are, I spotted this male coming from a baled meadow about 600 yds out, from the opposite way we expected. He was slow and wary, not showing till about 13 minutes in and taking another 5 or so to close the gap to 300. At that point he'd seen all he needed and possibly winded me and turned to leave. I held for the ranged 290 yds, allowed 6" for windage and sent a 40 gr vlc out of the 223 Ackley. Didn't take another step. Entered right behind the shoulder on a quartering away shot and exited the neck. No fur damage. We figured maybe a 3 yo male, and he acted like he'd heard it before.

The next stand was a spot we hadn't tried before, but we will again. It's a nearly perfect view of 2 sandhills valleys with low rolling hills. Should have taken a pic as it was gorgeous territory. But no luck there this time.

Stand 6 promised success as we heard a pack howling as we got our gear out of the truck. And another pack answering. I started with a few interrogation howls and got a response. Followed it up with jack distress, then a group howl. They were responding but not getting closer. I figured I had screwed it up for any singles that might come in from another direction, but switched to coyote pups. About the 17 minute mark I spotted this silver coyote slowly coming in right towards my partner. Looking over at him I could tell he didn't see it as he didn't have his rifle up. I waited and waited, finally concerned he'd get too close and spook or possibly wind us. So at 180 yds I dropped the hammer again, he spun 3 times and dumped. Caught a shoulder bone this time and made a 2" hole.

Another male, about the same size as the first one.

That makes 3 mature males this year, all of which responded very slowly and cautiously after 15 minutes or so of calling. Which leads me to believe that calling for 20 or 25 minutes might be the strategy to use from now on.

As for the groups that were howling, we will be back to get them some other time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent write up... Congrats
thumbup1.gif

That first one looks like he has black and white on the tip of his tail. Both good looking coyotes. Kudos to you on good shooting and good pictures.

Originally Posted By: possumalThat first one looks like he has black and white on the tip of his tail. Both good looking coyotes. Kudos to you on good shooting and good pictures.

You know I hadn't noticed that,lol. I'll have to check him out closer in the morning before I haul them in to the buyer.

Thanks guys, this is the first time in my short calling career to shoot 2 in one day. Had a chance on Thanksgiving, as we had a pair come in. Larry hit his, which charged in close. The male hung up at 225 yds or so and I missed it as it was half hidden behind a small knob and I shot just high. Both memorable outings for sure.

That's pretty cool pretty good day!!! Me and my partner were in a tournament on Saturday but we didn't do real well got 1 pup on our first stand we were doin 20 min sets on our 5th stand had another pup come in right at 18mins! I never saw him but my partner did he stopped just long enough for a shot but due to the rain/snow his scope was all fogged up!!!! Had fun though maybe next time!the guy that won had 4 dogs he was doin 10 min sets?

Back