Sanity check

Originally Posted By: VanceIf I’m not mistaken, AGM was PRG and FLIR? From what I’ve heard, some of the Armasight leaders started PRG and now AGM. Flir acquired Armasight but as far as I am aware, don’t believe AGM has other connections to Flir.

There must be some connection, the AGM and PRG python micro units look the same. Also on PRG Defense's website they list both PRG and Flir units. That's all I know as to how they are connected ?

Originally Posted By: VanceThere must be some connection, the AGM and PRG python micro units look the same. I believe they are the same scope. Whether PRG is going away, whether the owners couldn't get along and they separated, not sure. I would recommend calling either company for more details but from everything I have heard, the scope is the same between both companies. I believe they are distributors so they are not manufacturing a scope, just distributing.

Originally Posted By: VanceAlso on PRG Defense's website they list both PRG and Flir units. That's all I know as to how they are connected ? As distributors, they may be selling their own brand and Flirs, not sure. Give them a call.

Buy the thermal scanner FIRST for detection without being detected. Use the NV for positive ID for the shot. Some guys even scan with thermal and then shoot with lights.

Since you are going with a 320 resolution thermal get something with a 12 micron core for better image clarity.

https://pr-infrared.com/product/flir-scion-otm-outdoor-thermal-monocular/

Don't waste your money on cheap Chinese NV units. Save up for quality products.

Also trying to scan with a gun mounted thermal is a bad idea for numerous reasons.

Last edited:
I’m leaning towards the Hogster R for scanning, and sometimes shooting. Just trying to decide if I want field of view more than I want magnification so I can decide which model to get.

If more for scanning, go for the 25mm. If more for shooting, go for the 35mm. Another way to look at it is if shooing 50-150, go for the 25mm. If standard shot is 100 or more, then probably the 35mm.

I've had a few scopes, and if I were in your shoes I would buy a Hogster 35mm, to scan with, then get a good 4-6X NV scope,( I prefer 6X) the real ones, not electronic. I think they hold zero much better.

Best way to do it on a budget, IME. If you can find a used FLIR 536 ( 2700 range) they have issues but hold zero well, IME. Cheaper thermals suck at being able to have pinpoint accuracy, I'd much rather use a good NV scope.

Cheaper thermals are great for detection, but I wouldn't want to have to shoot with one.

Back