Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Got a little bit of fun money burning a hole in my pocket. Been reading about these and got to handle one at the gun shop yesterday. Felt pretty nice. Seemed well put together, and was short and sweet pointing.

We don't have a rifle season for deer around here, (not in my county anyways) so it will be a fun gun for the range more than anything. Might go on a pig trip down south this spring if we get it put together this year but that would be about it. I think it would fit my bill fine and be a lot of fun to boot.

Just wondering if anyone on here has one or has shot one and what they thought? Probably gonna pick one up next week, just looking for some feedback before I jump.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Originally Posted By: jackjackerI'm pretty sure the gunsite rifle a lot less than an ar-10.

Yes, and a bit lighter too. Also, 50 state legal to hunt with. But then again, I'm not anti-Ruger like some - I think it answered this "I think I need to spend $1000 dollars to get a removable mag in a bolt gun" issue too. Sounds like the ultimate utility/truck gun for many of us. Enjoy it - I like my 77's!

For some the AR10 might be the answer, but not for me. The ruger is much lighter and feels much better in the hands than an AR10. I have several AR15s, and love them, but I have almost no use for a AR10. They feel uncomforatble and are bulky to haul around.

I have a dealer that treats me pretty good and stated he will get me this gun at cost. Puts me about half the price of the AR10 I wouldn't want anyways. More money for scope and accessories that way. If I was gonna go semi auto I'd get an M1A Scout, but for what I'm looking for this is a better option.

As I said, I'm sold on the feel and function of the gun and thanks for the tip, but I'm quite frankly more interested in hearing from someone who fired one and what the thought than I am hearing about better options.

Last edited:
The GSR is a decent bolt action with a bunch of unneeded and unwanted accessories added. Plenty of other carbine length bolt actions available without and inflated price tag. I'd pass.

Ruger does build a stout rifle. Have you ever used a scout mounted optic as I assume this is how you would be using it. Some people don't care for or can't get used to the huge eye relief, I like it. If your not running the scout scope save your money and just buy your typical 308.

Back