Ruger Gen II accuracy update

Well today was the 1st time the .204R Gen2 got to stretch her legs a little, I was shooting at a 4" painted bull. Iray sent me the sub-tension values for reticle #6 for my Rico GH50, so I setup my 1st steel square @ 200 and I was about 1 1/2" high, that worked out well cause I wanted a 250 yd zero using a ballistic calculator, so that confirmed my zero. Dropped down to the next sub-tension value for 350 yds., and nailed it, so happy as if I had good sense. Setup @ the 500 yd and the target washed out to bad to really shoot however, went ahead and squeezed one off and found out I was shooting to high, using the wrong sub-tension @ 500. No point wasting anymore ammo on a washed out target, pretty sure I identified the proper sub tension for the 500 though. Trying to shoot clover leaves with a thermal probably ain't happening but coyotes to 350 definitely doable

I’ve tried giving out a “whoop” a “bark” and even yelling “Hey” and they pay me no attention. I also forget to mute the call or lower the volume so that doesn’t help at all I’m sure, lol. It does make it interesting though! When I see one coming in the call is immediately in my side pocket and I’m both hands on the gun.
I ain’t gonna lie, I get an adrenaline pump when they answer and it comes full force when they’re coming in. Maybe it’ll subside one day…but I really hope it doesn’t!
Hunters out west get to watch the coyotes a lot more than we do. Most of the time we have to shoot as soon as we see them. Unless hunting a large field.

Yeah, don’t have much in the way of large fields, mostly pines, burns, and short brush. Flat land doesn’t help much either. I always try to pick elevated spots so I have to pick certain winds. And it seems some of the better spots require a wind that isn’t our predominant, lol.

Yeah I’ve had a miss or two and go back through the video frame by frame and definitely see its operator error and not the equipment. Seems most of my misses are not being on “flat” ground 360 degrees around me and pivoting and have to basically shoot off tippy toes, lol. I’m confident the bullet hit exactly where the crosshairs were when the trigger broke. Unfortunately it wasn’t on the coyote.

When PA legalized thermal a couple years ago I first got a Bering r25 which is still my scanner and a r35 for the gun I was not interested in recording. Got a Super Hogster and now a Thermion and can say this video stuff is addictive and HUMBLING for sure.

Well..........I'm starting to like the taste of crow. After giving up finding a mag for the MDT stock, I took it back apart and put it in the factory stock. I had some loads already worked up so I thought "what the heck" lets go shoot them. What's the worse that can happen? I did torque the stock to 50 inch pounds, thanks for the tip Murl B!

Granted only 3 of each but all the same bullet, 53 grain Sierra match, Lapua brass, CCI SRP, Oal 2.250, so here's the group size results, all shot off a bench at 100yds-
H4895, 25 gr-.621
26gr-.621
27gr-.378
Varget, 25gr-.388
26gr-.854
27gr-.454
H335, 24gr-.860
25gr-.643
26gr-2.295
Then I shot 4 Barnes 55gr TTSX w/23gr of H335-1.074 but one was out of the group but 3 were around 3/4 inch. Seems the H4895 really shined but of course you can't get it but the Varget did pretty good and I have a few pound of it and 3 box's of the Sierra's. The best part is I don't need the MDT and can put the money back in my pocket. No extra weight either. Being an old fart with nothing to do but play with my guns I have always had the thought that if a gun isn't totally shot out that there is something out there that will make it shoot. Thanks to all who did their best trying to help me.

P.S. I bought a box of Hornady 55 grain V-Max just to see if maybe it was my reloads. They sucked pretty bad to.

Last edited:
Being an old fart with nothing to do but play with my guns I have always had the thought that if a gun isn't totally shot out that there is something out there that will make it shoot.
Point of order
Being an old fart with nothing to do but play with my guns rifles I have always had the thought that if a gun rifle isn't totally shot out that there is something out there that will make it shoot.
There, I fixed it for ya, Bill. ;);):cool:

I was real close to thinking I got a lemon. Seems I have a knack for that. But I've never seen many 223's that wouldn't shoot at least decent. Except a few AR's. Had a couple of them that were just dogs but they were made from cheap parts. Of course the powder that really shined is obsolete. But Varget is a close second and maybe a little tuning will tighten the groups up a little more.

Well..........I'm starting to like the taste of crow. After giving up finding a mag for the MDT stock, I took it back apart and put it in the factory stock. I had some loads already worked up so I thought "what the heck" lets go shoot them. What's the worse that can happen? I did torque the stock to 50 inch pounds, thanks for the tip Murl B!

Granted only 3 of each but all the same bullet, 53 grain Sierra match, Lapua brass, CCI SRP, Oal 2.250, so here's the group size results, all shot off a bench at 100yds-
H4895, 25 gr-.621
26gr-.621
27gr-.378
Varget, 25gr-.388
26gr-.854
27gr-.454
H335, 24gr-.860
25gr-.643
26gr-2.295
Then I shot 4 Barnes 55gr TTSX w/23gr of H335-1.074 but one was out of the group but 3 were around 3/4 inch. Seems the H4895 really shined but of course you can't get it but the Varget did pretty good and I have a few pound of it and 3 box's of the Sierra's. The best part is I don't need the MDT and can put the money back in my pocket. No extra weight either. Being an old fart with nothing to do but play with my guns I have always had the thought that if a gun isn't totally shot out that there is something out there that will make it shoot. Thanks to all who did their best trying to help me.

P.S. I bought a box of Hornady 55 grain V-Max just to see if maybe it was my reloads. They sucked pretty bad to.
Man it's good to hear you got her to shoot, she's shooting sub and well enough for a coyote rifle IMO anyway, we're not trying to win a match with a budget rifle. Handloading will sure make um shine! :)

Back