Ruger Gen II accuracy update

William Suter

The first time I took the Gen II out, I shot some 52 grain Bergers that I had loaded up for another rifle and results were pretty good. This last time out, something has changed. First time I was using my Caldwell bull bag as it gives a very stable rest. Last time I was using my Wichita and the Ruger doesn't fit near as well but usually doesn't give me issues. I had three different bullets and three different powders. ( 5 of the Speers, and 3 different loads, 10 each, with 55 grain Noslers and 50 grain Vmax) First loads were Speer HP. My fore end was on the front rest and used my left hand to squeeze my rear bag, group was decent. This is normally how I shoot off a bench. We had some wind and keeping the rifle steady off my Wichita was tricky so instead of using my left hand to squeeze the bag, I used it to steady the fore-end off the front rest. All my shots went extremely right. I shot the next batch and they were right so I adjusted my scope more center of the bull. Then I went back to squeezing the rear bag and all my shots went left. ?????????? Is the stock that flimsy that its causing that much variation in POI? Or do I have an issue? I know the scope is good and pretty dang sure everything is tight. Granted, most my loads were upper end on the charges but all the right and left is crazy.

If it's not the rifle, not the scope, not a stable platform, it's the nut behind the BUTT. don't expect good groups when your barrel is waving around like saying goodbye to GRAND MA !! You already know what a big part of your problem is, fix it and report the results. Murl B.

If it's not the rifle, not the scope, not a stable platform, it's the nut behind the BUTT. don't expect good groups when your barrel is waving around like saying goodbye to GRAND MA !! You already know what a big part of your problem is, fix it and report the results. Murl B.
Well Murl B, thanks for the help. LOL

I pulled the scope, tightened the base to 30 inch pounds, re-torqued the action screws to 30 inch pounds and mounted the scope and torqued the ring to base screws at 30 inch pounds. They are Burris 6 screw Tactical rings. The rings are torqued at 18 inch pounds. Scope is a Sightron STAC. When I said it shot to the right, we're talking 4 inchs right, not just a little bit. After adjusting the scope back to center the next 5 shots stayed centered. Then I went back to squeezing the rear bag and it shot 3-4 inchs left. This isn't normal, at least for me. I do know how to shoot a rifle accurately. I know that different bullets and different powders will cause a slight change in POI but 4 inchs?????? Thoughts and Prayers?? LOL, back to the loading bench and more trips to the range. I love a challenge.

The first time I took the Gen II out, I shot some 52 grain Bergers that I had loaded up for another rifle and results were pretty good. This last time out, something has changed. First time I was using my Caldwell bull bag as it gives a very stable rest. Last time I was using my Wichita and the Ruger doesn't fit near as well but usually doesn't give me issues. I had three different bullets and three different powders. ( 5 of the Speers, and 3 different loads, 10 each, with 55 grain Noslers and 50 grain Vmax) First loads were Speer HP. My fore end was on the front rest and used my left hand to squeeze my rear bag, group was decent. This is normally how I shoot off a bench. We had some wind and keeping the rifle steady off my Wichita was tricky so instead of using my left hand to squeeze the bag, I used it to steady the fore-end off the front rest. All my shots went extremely right. I shot the next batch and they were right so I adjusted my scope more center of the bull. Then I went back to squeezing the rear bag and all my shots went left. ?????????? Is the stock that flimsy that its causing that much variation in POI? Or do I have an issue? I know the scope is good and pretty dang sure everything is tight. Granted, most my loads were upper end on the charges but all the right and left is crazy.
I've got a Gen 2 and it shoots just fine. Initially I torqued everything down, sighted in and no issue. If you're changing the way you shoot or changing loads, well,

??? Have you thought of properly bedding your rifle that may be your next step. Murl B.

Murl, even the worst barrel to stock configuration isn't going to cause a 8" variation at 100 yards.

Bill, as bad as I hate to say it ...... Do you have a Lead Sled or something similar that you can stabilize the rifle in? You're going to have to start from zero with this thing and eliminate at lease one of the variables to see where you are.

And remember ....... It is a Ruger. I've had a couple that grouped like a dance step pattern rather than a rifle group. :LOL:

Usually when testing loads I use the Caldwell bull bag. It holds the rifle really steady. I didn't bring it the day I had these issues. I will the next time. Just seemed weird to have that much POI change just from where I steadied the rifle, meaning using my left hand on the fore-end (with light to no pressure) to my rear bag. I've got some brass ready to load for later today. We have high winds in the forecast for the rest of the week so I may not get to shoot it until next week. I won't test loads if we have high winds. The short chamber and short mag really hinder my OAL, 2.250 is max on any bullet I have used and its tight in the mag. But...some bullets don't mind a short OAL, but some do. I don't like to jam a bullet on a hunting rifle. So I have to find the right bullet. I may go "Old School" on it and try some H335. I'll figure it out.........or not. LOL

223 Rem, 1-8 twist

I admit, I didn't actually do load work as I normally do. Start low and work my way up. I just picked some loads that shot well in other rifles and most were pretty warm loads. My Sako likes a hot load of CFE and a 52 grain Berger so I tried some of them. I also had loads from my 40X that were pretty warm as well. Both these loads shot decent. Seeing how I'm basically starting over I will do my usual load work and start with a lower charge. My intent was to find a load that looked promising and start with it but that didn't happen so I'll just start basically from scratch. It is a new rifle and only has about 50 rounds fired. I'm sure I can get it shooting but it will just take some time and patience and several trips to the range but I will get it there.

Last edited:
I may go "Old School" on it and try some H335. I'll figure it out.........or not. LOL

All of my 223s like Benchmark a bit better than 335. But that's with 60gr bullets. I also found a better accuracy node a bit under max loads. Be patient and keep after it. Something is terribly amiss to cause that much of a variance.

Murl B: I've owned Rugers all of my life. Bunches of them. A few were fabulous. Most needed a bit of massaging. And a few were lost causes and not worth the pain, money, and time it would have taken to get them to moa. And my favorite hunting/bench gun is currently a Ruger Hawkeye Predator that shoots cloverleafs. I'm a Ruger fan, but I also know that they can be ornery at times until you find what they like.

Last edited:
Well, seeing how I have a couple of pounds of CFE, I think I'll stick with it. Lapua brass, CCI 400 primer and a 55 grain Blitzking. 27.4 is book max so I'll start a little lower and work up to max or max plus. There should be an accuracy node in there somewhere. I have lots of different 22 caliber bullets so if the BK's don't work I'll try something different till it does.

Hidalgo, I remember when Bill Ruger started the Company, as you said some are ok some suck as you can tell i am mostly not a fan. Murl B.

You are doing it wrong.
1) Drive out to the woods somewhere.
2) Tack a target to a tree.
3) Back the truck up an approximate distance, "'bout a hunnert yards."
4) Lay the rifle over the hood.
5) Fire four shots. Four shots because once you failed to clear the offset from the scope to the bore and shot a hole through your hood. That one doesn't count in the group size.
6) Gather up target, squint hard, then proclaim loudly "that's a 1/2" group all day long." DO NOT MEASURE THE GROUP. That just mucks things up and causes problems.
7) Enjoy your new tack driver!

Took the Ruger back out today. I had 4 loads of 55 grain BK's with four different charges of CFE. I took my bull bag and a big plus, all the crazy jumping around stopped. On a negative, groups were pretty MEH! Nothing under an inch, nothing even an inch. Most were probably1 1/4- 1 1/2 at 100yds. Minute of coyote at best. I still think the rifle will do better but I also think some, maybe most of the problem, is in the POS plastic stock. The only way to know for sure is to replace it with something better but I hate spending money if I can't say for sure that is the issue.

While I understand the questioning of the stock, I'd still like to see you try something a bit heavier in that rifle. Maybe a 60 or even a 68 grain bullet and see if it doesn't settle down a bit. None of my 8 twist Rugers or ARs like anything under 60 grains.

And back off the powder a bit. I just looked at my notes and my best load was 23 grains of Benchmark, and also 23 grains of H335, both with 60 grain Nosler Partitions or 60 grain VMax. Both bullets were seated at 2.250" to fit the mags. It is well under max but both loads ran through the chronograph at 2900 give or take a few fps. Still quick enough for anything you're going to shoot with it. FWIW. ;)

My suggestion on bedding the recoil lug and you might torque your action screws to 50#. I know 4 Guys that have Gen -2 Rugers all are 6.5 CM Two of them had problems this is how we fixed them, none of them are 1 hoers but they both shot 3/4" groups on a good day. Murl B.

I checked inventory-
Hornady-60 grain SP
Nosler-60 grain Varm tipped
Sierra- 60 grain Tipped Match King
62 grain Game King
60 grain HP
69 Grain HPBT Match
63 grain SMP

I've always had pretty good luck with Sierra bullets. Think I'll give the 69 HPBT's a go. I always liked lighter bullets in the 223 but maybe this one will shoot the heavier bullets better.

I just looked at my log book and have already tried the 62 grain Sierra Game Kings and the 60 grain Tipped MK's and also looked at saved targets. Results were not good.

Back