Ruger American.................................

2muchgun

Interested in hearing from those who have one.

I have been reading a lot about these rifles the past 2 days. It seems the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I must say, I like what Ruger did with this rifle. It sounds like a winner.

If this rifle is as good as what I have heard thus far, it could be a new "best buy". I'm wondering if they created a "budget rifle" that outshoots their flagship rifle. Kinda like Weatherby with the Vanguard/Mark V.

Ruger should team up with Redfield for an all USA made rifle/scope combo that nearly every American could afford. They could call it the "American Revolution combo". For about $600 it would be real hard to beat IMO.........

triggers are iffy from what ive been told by owners. They said a gunsmith can rework them so maybe $50 trigger job isnt do bad. Nice rifles, almost look a lot like the tc icon, only not AS ugly.

I have had mine in .243 for about 8 monthes and love it so far it seems to be ridding along with me more and more I'm getting an honest 3/4 out of it with some ol 100 grain soft points I had around and feeds real well pretty light to carry around with a 3-9 VXII
I'm looking at another in 22-250 to hit the collection soon
Only complaint I have is wish the mags were little easier to find and a little less on the spendy side

It seems like it would make a great little lightweight carry/calling rifle. Or truck gun. Hit it with a little Krylon or Cerakote and rock on.

I'm pretty certain you will see more aftermarket parts available if the rifle is as successful as it sounds like it may be.

How much are mags?

Just noticed the 22-250 is a 1-10 twist. Definitely better than the 1-14s and 1-12s most make.

If they made it in a 1-8 twist I would just about be forced to pull out my wallet, methinks.......

The last 2 I picked up were $35 each
I really think the gun has a lot more potential as well with some load development and some better bullet options
I bought it for just that a rifle to ride around in my work truck with me
I brought it home mounted the scope grabbed a factory box rem 100 grainers and got the 3/4 out of it and figured why fix what isn't broke and went hunting
And so far has couple dozen rock chucks and 2 coyotes under its belt

I have heard a few complaints regarding the stock but to me it seems tough seems absorbe recoil well and I really like the slim forend

I have it in 308, really a nice rifle for the price. Accurate and easy to carry. I think the triggers are fine, especially at this price.

I have a 22-250 and it is a very good shooter. It has a 14" twist instead of the 10" that is listed-and that is too bad. But it is a great rifle for the price-it will hold an inch for three shots with nearly ever load I tried. This is a 'deer' load 4 shots cold out of the safe. They are fun to camo!-lol.

photo_zpsee7ec5b8.jpg

Pre camo
photo_zps58327261.jpg

Full camo now
photo_zps14b667b9.jpg

Ive been itching to pick up one of these in 308 for a rainy day deer rifle since Ii missed the Savage 10TR boat this past summer. Gublast Jeff did a review on an -06 liked it and it shot green and yellow box rem. really well. Looks like they can be had for in the $330-$350 range.

Last edited:
My 1st was in a 243 which my oldest daughter took from me. Shoots very well and a nice trigger. I picked another up in a 7mm08 it too shoots very well with a nice trigger. I believe that the RAR is going to be around a while.

The American has two metal v blocks set into the stock on each end of the loading port that match corresponding grooves in the bottom of the action. I think that is similar to the Tikka- but maybe the Tikka just has one?

I have it in 7mm-08. 4 hosts to zero at 100yds. Next 6 inside an inch off of a lead sled. Superformance 139grn.

Back in the safe, she waits patiently for my next deer tag.

Originally Posted By: RePeteI like the 70 degree bolt throw but that's about it.

I know what you mean. I guess I'm just saying "for what it is". A $350 rifle. It seems to compare very favorably to those in it's price range. Or so I hear. I don't see anything there that bothers me, anyway, without actually having one.

I wouldn't mind giving one a test drive........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: RePeteI like the 70 degree bolt throw but that's about it.

I guess I'm just saying "for what it is". A $350 rifle. It seems to compare very favorably to those in it's price range.

I agree.
Allot more appealing 'to me' than Mossberg, Stevens, etc, etc.

Matter of fact, I swore off of Rugers a long time ago due to a couple of real stinkers but the stuff they're doing as of late might temp me to give them another try if I were ever to be in the market again.
I still think the 77 is one of the best looking rifles ever made. Being CRF don't hurt either.

Back