Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor

I don't own one, but from what I have read here, I would shoot it first. From what I have seen/read, they seem to shoot pretty darn good as is.

.......unless you just can't live with the stock......

I put mine in a Boyd's thumbhole stock then bed the action with acra-glas gel. Barrel is floated and I got the trigger down to 1 1/2 pounds and breaks like glass. Shoots really good with 120 A-Max and Varget. Mines the Predator version with the heavier barrel. I put a break on it just for giggles. Recoil was mild and now its just a light bump but its a little loud. It took a few different loads to figure out what it liked best but I preferred the lighter bullets. I kept getting flyers with the plastic stock but after putting it in the Boyd's and bed it, the flyers went away. It did add some extra weight to it though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mississippi Dirt N.. Im looking at the boyds in the prairie model..
Welcome to PM,, I also have a RAP in 6.5.
Almost exactly like PyscoDog's, have a boyd's Prairie Hunter stock, bedded the lugs, worked the trigger down, but mine likes the heavies ~140 gr.
It is an amazing tool for the price, but the boyd's stock is heavy enough that the 6.5 stays at the range.
Also have a 243 RAP with original stock, same trigger treatment and that one is for hunting.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: Mississippi Dirt N.. Im looking at the boyds in the prairie model..
Welcome to PM,, I also have a RAP in 6.5.
Almost exactly like PyscoDog's, have a boyd's Prairie Hunter stock, bedded the lugs, worked the trigger down, but mine likes the heavies ~140 gr.
It is an amazing tool for the price, but the boyd's stock is heavy enough that the 6.5 stays at the range.
Also have a 243 RAP with original stock, same trigger treatment and that one is for hunting.

Curious as to what you have on it for glass, and what the weight is??? I'm looking at dropping one into a boyds classic but unsure of the weight.

I have the RAP in 6.5 Creed and it can be a shooter. 3 shots 1 very small hole with 129 Whitetail Hornady. But another batch of the same ammo and not so good. Most likely the heavier grain will shoot better, I have yet to get the 95 V-max to shoot to my satisfaction. 120 A-max more consistent. COL seems to have a factor on the hand loads. I think a Boyd's stock would be a real improvement. The stock on mine was touching the left side of the barrel, like a lot of other RAPs I have seen so I opened up the free float and filled the fore end to make it stiffer. Next step will be to fill the butt stock to better balance the rifle. A Boyd's would be a much better route than working over the factory stock in my opinion.

The rifle seems to be a good value and I would like to try one in .243 sometime.

Mine was very discouraging until I replaced the stock. I did try to float the barrel on the factory stock but it seemed after a few shots, it was back over to the left side and rubbing again. I then ordered the Boyd's and just parked the RAP until I got it. I ordered a Thumbhole stock for the American because Boyd's didn't offer it for the Predator knowing I would have to open the barrel channel up for the larger barrel. After opening up the barrel channel, which actually didn't take very much, I wrapped a few layers of tape around the barrel to make sure it would center in the new stock, then I bed the action and the front recoil lug. I didn't bed the rear lug. Why? I don't really know, just didn't. I figure I can always go back later and bed it if needed. I lightened the trigger and now the rifle shoots really good. I use Varget powder and 120 A-Max bullets and it has made a nice rifle. A tad on the heavy side but not bad.

Originally Posted By: brdeano..Curious as to what you have on it for glass, and what the weight is??? ..
10bs 1 oz, scope is Tract 4-16x42 Response, with a muzzle break.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: brdeano..Curious as to what you have on it for glass, and what the weight is??? ..
10bs 1 oz, scope is Tract 4-16x42 Response, with a muzzle break.

Thank you!!!! That helps alot!

I know this is a little older thread, but I can't find a more recent one.
I just bought a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, and am wondering if there is anyone here with enough experience with one of these Rugers to be able to say what weight is best? What I am seeing for sale is mostly 120 g or 140 gr. Just wondering what someones experience says is the better choice to start with.
Haven't made a scope purchase either but leaning heavily towards the Leupold VX 3i, maybe the 4.5x14 -50mm

thanks

Back