Ruger #1 accuracy?

ArrowStar

Looking for opinions from those that own or have owned the Ruger #1. I want a rifle that is very accurate and has a good trigger. I've always loved the look of the #1 and have some mad money and was thinking of buying one in either a 220 swift or a 22-250. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a rifle with a good trigger and is very accurate, keep looking. The ruger#1 is not it. I own several because I like them. They are not even close in accuracy to a good bolt gun. There are things you can do to make them better but still won't compare to most bolt. A 1 inch group from a #1 is above average for this gun. I wouldn't call a 1inch bolt gun overly accurate.

I had a #1 varmint I bought in 1980 time period in a 25-06 that shot less than 1" I had a friend that had a number 1" that had the non heavy barrel I forget model but in a .243 that I could cover 5 shots with a dime. Both were standard with factory everything. My longest shot was a groundhog at 600 yards with the 25-06. Took antelope at 350 and whitetail at 250.

I know of exactly 1 #1 that was sub moa and that was an older Varmint 25-06. It was beautiful and an absolute tack driver. I knew the guy who owned it and when he passed I got out bid for it at his auction. Besides that 1 I have been around or owned a few and 2 inch groups were the norm.

Wow, I would have thought that these rifles would be tack drivers. Any idea what has to be done to them to improve the accuracy?

My Number One in .243 Winchester would cloverleaf both 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips as well as the 58 grain Hornady. I will admit that I never tried it with deer weight bullets as I got it for a varmint rifle.

My Number One Tropical in .458 Mag would shoot three shots into less than an inch but let me tell you- it sure did take a lot of "when I did my part" when shooting that gun for groups. My PAST recoil pad just wasn't enough to make that gun fun to shoot off a bench.

If I had a chance to buy me a nice #1 in .220 Swift for a price that I liked I would likely get me one. Sure pretty guns.

Yes they are pretty. I have a 204 DTech AR that will shoot awesome groups and I guess I am spoiled. I'll probably buy one since I'm sure they will shoot plenty good enough to kill Coyotes with.
Thanks Guys for the info.

Originally Posted By: Johnny BIf you are looking for a rifle with a good trigger and is very accurate, keep looking. The ruger#1 is not it. I own several because I like them. They are not even close in accuracy to a good bolt gun. There are things you can do to make them better but still won't compare to most bolt. A 1 inch group from a #1 is above average for this gun. I wouldn't call a 1inch bolt gun overly accurate.

I concur. I've owned several, including the varmint models. I'd say that 1" is generous ......

I have 4 of them. All are 1" shooters and my .220 swift will shoot 5 shot groups into a quarter. I have them in 7mag, 30-06, .270 and the swift. I will continue buying them for what they are to me which are collection pieces.

I'll be the first to tell you, that I'm pretty hard on rugers. I've owned a bunch of ruger rifles and revolvers and all of them shot poorly. Out of all of those rugers the only one I kept was a number 3 carbine in .22hornet. I bought it second hand, so I don't know of any mods that have been done, but that little rifle will shoot with any hornet I've handled.
The trigger isn't the lightest, but is void of any creep and is about perfect for a hunting trigger. Unlike most single shots I've owned extraction has been perfect. Chambering neck sized cases is no problem. Accuracy has been good with factory ammo averaging 1.25 inches. Most plastic tipped 40gr hand loads will shoot 3/4 to one inch. The Sierra .224 40gr hornet bullet will easily do half inch groups all day in this rifle, but unfortunately Sierra hasn't produced any of those for a couple years now. Hopefully they will resume production soon before I run out of my last few.The only bullet I couldn't get her to shoot was the 35 gr vmaxes. They wouldn't do better than two inches.
While my gun isn't a number 1 it's close to it. Shorter barrel and a band on the forearm. It's pretty handy piece compared to a full size número uno.
Now I'm not suggesting to go buy a number one, but I feel that the number one is one of rugers better offerings. There's a lot of info out there on tuning these guns, so iffin you get one that doesn't shoot up to par you can always fix it. I think as fat as extraction and chambering goes they are hard to beat. IMHO function is just as important in a hunting gun as accuracy.

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyI'll be the first to tell you, that I'm pretty hard on rugers. I've owned a bunch of ruger rifles and revolvers and all of them shot poorly.

Makes me wonder why you kept buying them if they all shot so poorly. The most accurate out of the box rifle I ever owned was a Ruger M77-V in .220 Swift. There just was not a load that gun did not like. My first .270 was also a M77 and IMR 4350 powder and 130 grain Sierra bullets just made one hole groups at 100 yards every time that I shot it. My old three screw Super Blackhawk has been shot so much that 18 years ago Ruger had to replace the worn out barrel. Of all of my .44 Magnums that one is still the best shooting of them all.

Had many other Rugers over the years and still got a bunch. Never got rid of a single one because they would not shoot. Some better than others, yes. But never a bad one.

Russ,
Guess I kept buying them cause I'd figured I get a gooden sooner or later. Seems everybody else did.. Bought a super Blackhawk back in the summer that was a big disappointment and have all but washed my hands of them now. I'll get frustrated at smith and wesson wheel guns in a few months and go buy another ruger again
smile.gif

Heard Dan Wesson is getting back in the wheel gun buiessnes so I might not have to buy either !

Don't misunderstand me guys. I like them. Have owned many. Still have a few. The only one I had that would shoot MOA out of the box is a #1 V in 25.06. The rest were 1" on up.. To correct this, a Hicks Accurizer can be installed which in essence allows you to adjust the pressure from the forend to the barrel until you find the "sweet spot". As far as triggers, you can get a JARD or Kepplinger or any other. The factory triggers are very different rifle to rifle. I think the newer #1's while not as pretty, overall shoot better out of the box than the red pads. Out to 250 yards you can generally find a load that will be accurate enough to hunt with but OP asked for "very accurate". To me that is 1\2 MOA or less. #1 have been around since the 60's. You don't see many if any at competitions for a reason. Just my .02

I have 3. a .223 that nearly shoots itself, a 7mm and a 25.06. I have zero complaints about accuracy. I will say I'm not crazy in love with the triggers.

Two of them were made in 1976 as bicentenial celebration models.

The cool factor is enough reason to own one.

BTW I've had several coyote quad kills with my .223.Guess the coyotes don't like it much.

I have the #1 B chambered for the 7 mm Rem Mag it is a 1985 Red Pad, it easily stays under an inch and is very consistent shot to shot clean, dirty, hot or cold. This particular gun also has an exceptional trigger and it may very well be my favorite rifle. I also find the #1 very pleasing to the eye.

I did notice a pattern above. I too had a Ruger No 1V 25-06 that was a really good shooter with a few bullets. My No 1 7X57 that I deer hunted with back in the day would shoot the first round from a cold barrel right where is was aimed and then every shot after that climbed another inch.... Not sure how high it would vertical string as I was scared I would shoot my own hat off eventually.
I still have a one in .204 Ruger and it shoots decent around 1 MOA.

I have a 1v in 223 that shoots very well ,it took a Kiplinger trigger a moyers speed hammer
And a hicks now it shoots groups in the 3/4 to 1/2 inch area ,with the right loads

For the price i always assumed the 1s were shooters. I have a couple handis that will go +/- 1 inch, [beeep] of a lot cheaper fot the same accuracy.

I still find it amusing that back in the day the most high end sniper rifle *might* shoot as good as an off the shelf rifle today.

Back